Tire Recommendations for 2016 Sonata

Status
Not open for further replies.
Traded in my 2011 Corolla, as I just couldn't stand commuting 3 hours per day in it for any longer. Got a great deal on a CPO 2016 Sonata SE, world of upgrade in every way.

Only downside to this car is it has garbage Hankook Kinergy GT tires. The tire size is somewhat rare, Pirelli doesn't seem to make them (205/65/16 95H). Since its not critical to get the tires replaced, I'm trying to decide what tire I should keep an eye on for sales on this car. I'd love to know the community's preferences between these tires:

BF Goodrich Advantage TA Sport
Michelin Defender T + H (a little wary based on the reputation the GreenX had for horrible treadware)
Continental PureContact EcoPlus
General Altimax RT43

Price is not a huge constraint, but don't feel this car needs ultra premium tires either. Priorities are comfort on a 50 mile round trip daily commute, and around town with occasional longer drives on the weekend. I don't use winter tires since I can work from home and don't need to regularly drive in it, but something that handles snow well is also a plus. I drive conservatively, so performance isn't a factor.

I think the RT43 and the PureContact are a bit more comfort-oriented than the BFG and Michelin while being similar enough in performance terms.

I've put Nexen CP672 on a lot of used Sonatas at work and had really good success with them. They seem to be a touch smoother than the Generals for around $10 less per tire. I can't speak to the longevity but I'd put them on my car if I was in the market.

It's funny you say that because the newer Nexen Priz AH8 is supposed to be a bit of a sleeper tire that supposedly builds on the CP672 with the AH8 ( in non-OE form ) being a very comfortable tire w/ good minor snow/slush traction and good performance.

If you aren't too worried about handling, the RT43 is a great choice. I have them on my Camry and will consider them for my Sonata.

My Sonata came with a set of Kumho Solus TA31 tires that are "meh". They're pretty noisy but otherwise ok.

The Sonata will be a big step up as far as comfort, it's the reason I bought mine.

Toyo celsius! In Massachusetts you want good snow performance and the celsius is a top ranked all season that is a beast in winter weather.

If that isnt an option id look into a cooper all season as they are affordable and good quality in my experience.

BTW congrats on the new car. I think the sonata is a fantastic sedan. Very affordable also.

Last edited:
Your best option would be to drop the speed rating down a notch to a T rating. Then you can buy a Pirelli Fourseasons Plus tire on DTD for $80. Combine it with their next promotion and it will be a great deal. It does say it needs to be special ordered so keep that in mind also. May just want to order it now before it disappears. Thank you.

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/pirelli-p4-fourseasons-plus/p/24783#

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Your best option would be to drop the speed rating down a notch to a T rating. Then you can buy a Pirelli Fourseasons Plus tire on DTD for $80. Combine it with their next promotion and it will be a great deal. It does say it needs to be special ordered so keep that in mind also. May just want to order it now before it disappears. Thank you.

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/pirelli-p4-fourseasons-plus/p/24783#

Is there any implication to doing this? I know that T is rated for sustained 118mph, H for 130 (which seems to lock me out of a few other options), but I can't see ever hitting anywhere close to 118mph, even for a second.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
If you aren't too worried about handling, the RT43 is a great choice. I have them on my Camry and will consider them for my Sonata.

My Sonata came with a set of Kumho Solus TA31 tires that are "meh". They're pretty noisy but otherwise ok.

The Sonata will be a big step up as far as comfort, it's the reason I bought mine.

Lots of good things about the RT43 in here and other threads. I'm certainly not tracking the car or anything. As long as they hold the car straight on the highway... I'm good.

EDIT: Since we've both got LF model Sonatas, what has your research led you to about the engine issues of the older YF model? I'm not hearing of really any issues on 2015 and beyond, but I'd be curious to know if you've found anything.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: smc733
Is there any implication to doing this? I know that T is rated for sustained 118mph, H for 130 (which seems to lock me out of a few other options), but I can't see ever hitting anywhere close to 118mph, even for a second.

Not really, the sidewall is a little stiffer to endure the higher speeds. Getting a shop to install a lower rating might be another issue. But DT will do it if you have one nearby or a mom and pop type tire place. Walmart TLE won't install it.

I just checked the price for another car that takes a popular size, 205/55R16 and the least expensive Pirelli is $115. So the $80 price is a steal. Again it does say special order under status for it.

Here's a full review on it:

https://tirereviewsandmore.com/pirelli-p4-four-seasons-plus-reviews/

Also Capriracer on here, the tire expert can offer more input on dropping the speed rating a notch.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: smc733

Not really, the sidewall is a little stiffer to endure the higher speeds. Getting a shop to install a lower rating might be another issue. But DT will do it if you have one nearby or a mom and pop type tire place. Walmart TLE won't install it.

I just checked the price for another car that takes a popular size, 205/55R16 and the least expensive Pirelli is $115. So the $80 price is a steal. Again it does say special order under status for it.

Here's a full review on it:

https://tirereviewsandmore.com/pirelli-p4-four-seasons-plus-reviews/

Thanks, definitely going to look into it! I had Pirellis on the Civic I drove years ago and they treated me well for the 30k miles I put on them until I sold the car. A semi-local chain here, Town Fair Tire, actually recommends T tires for my car along with H when searching on their site, so I suspect they'd do the install (though they want $120 ea for the P4, so $80s definitely a steal).

Toyo Celsius, Vredestein Quatrac 5, Goodyear Weatherready, or Nokian WRG3*

Nokian is replacing the WRG3 with the WRG4. Since it's not critical to get new tires just yet, the WRG4 may be available when you do replace them.

Continental PureContacts EcoPlus.
Congrats on the new car. I made that same switch.

Check what Cooper Tire has in its lineup in your size. Cooper also makes many private label tires under the names Mastercraft, Eldorado, Dean, Sigma, Hercules, etc. I have Hercules Ironman RB-12 tires on my 2013 Accord in your exact same size. They seem fine to me for an H rated, all season tire at about $85 each plus M & B. They're made in Thailand.

I ran those on my 2008 Civic Si after having the Continental DWS. The Pure Contact EcoPlus were good with the high mileage warranty, quietness and ride quality. However, they didn't perform nearly as well as the DWS in the turns which I expected.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Continental PureContacts EcoPlus.
Congrats on the new car. I made that same switch.

Another thumbs up on General Altimax RT43 or Cooper CS5 when they are on sale at DTD. Have had good personal experience with both!

I just had Discount Tire put a set of General Altimax RT43s on my Chevy Volt last week. Handled fine in the rain and are quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back