Fumoto Valve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had one on my 2002 Toyota Tacoma for 8 years with no issues. The CRV has one as well. The 15 Tacoma won’t get one because there’s no skid plate to protect it.

Lots of folks here have them and like them. Lots of folks here , like myself, have never felt the need to hasten along a task that takes only seconds from start to finish. Access to the drain plug might come into play, but I have never had a vehicle I couldn’t access the drain plug fairly easily.

I change oil probably 8 or so times a year, and it's not a big enough issue for me to bother with this contraption. Looks cool though; maybe if I did hot oil changes I'd like it more.

I have 4: 04 CRV, 07 Odyssey, 10 Infiniti and am installing another one on the 17 Pilot. Makes oil change very clean and easy. Never ever had any issues with any of them. BUT they are all positioned “horizontally” (I.e. they don’t stick “down”). So no issues or fear of being damaged.

But I will *not* use one on my Boxster because it would stick down, and I fear it would easily damage or get ripped off.

I've used them on three different vehicles with no issue. It can come down to placement and if there's a pan or cowl to protect it versus your comfort level with something that could potentially get up there and release the valve. On my vehicle, my feeling is that it would basically take something that would also take out the pan to open the Fumoto valve.

Personally, I wish the locking clip was also made out of brass or metal with a plastic insert than just plastic. That might be a bigger issue in Canada than where I am...so I might have them send me some extra clips and periodically check them.

The ease factor w/ the Fumoto is much more important to me than the time factor when using them but they're directly related.

I've run them on several different cars of mine over many years and they are great. Highly recommend them if they will fit with your application (and not all do). If I were installing new today, I'd look at the SX version for easier placement.

Originally Posted By: supton
I change oil probably 8 or so times a year, and it's not a big enough issue for me to bother with this contraption. Looks cool though; maybe if I did hot oil changes I'd like it more.

I tried them, none leaked but I didn't like the slow rate the oil came out. If I had a pan with iffy threads that had been re-threaded or was in some other way troublesome I would use it but otherwise no.
On an aluminum pan Honda it is a good idea to use one IMHO, these pans are known to strip without too much provocation.

Have one on my 2002 Silverado for the past 16yrs no issues. Love the fact that I can pull it up on ramps after an hour drive on the interstate and just flip the lever and not get super hot oil on my hand. Drains fast enough for me especially when you drain it hot like that.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Lots of folks here have them and like them. Lots of folks here , like myself, have never felt the need to hasten along a task that takes only seconds from start to finish. Access to the drain plug might come into play, but I have never had a vehicle I couldn’t access the drain plug fairly easily.

Its not like you don't have to crawl under the car to get to the Fumoto Valve but then think of all the other time its going to save you for say 5 or 6 more things you can get done that day.

Over 300K miles on my vehicles and zero problems.
thumbsup2.gif

I even installed one on my company vehicle.
01.gif

The reason I bought a Fumoto in the first place was an access issue that took me longer to just get the rear-facing, recessed plug off than it did to drain the oil, put on a filter, replace oil and test it. Easier than faster will always rule the day for me...but it's especially nice when they become one and the same.

On my current vehicle, there's no access issue but it's cleaner, faster, and much more direct and predictable in its operation. Faster is only one benefit...but if you combine faster with oil flow going where it's supposed to go that means I rarely have the type of clean-up I usually had with a drain plug. Depending on the container, I don't even have to jack up the car....as there's no need to cover for the arc of a wrench.

I think they are a good time saver for the $26 to $30 that they cost. Get the one with a nipple and a simple poly hose attaches easily to neatly take the oil where you want it to go. I've used them in an M35, an Outback and a Ridgeline. On my M35 the Fumoto saves me from having to remove 18 bolts on the splash shield.

Installed one on a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. The oil changes by the dealer for the previous owner left an oil and grit mess on the top of the plastic belly pan. Grrr. After using a Fumoto valve and a short tube, no more oil on the belly pan. No dealer changes for me, they are too sloppy. I drain hot into a empty 5 quart oil container. Easy to keep belly pan clean. I use a sleeve over the oil filter so nothing get on the pan as everything dripping in the sleeve go in the drain pan.

I use them in my current vehicles. I like using them.

Draining is slower but, I'm not changing oil that often. Gives me time to check other things on the car when I'm doing an oil change.

I use them and I love them. It saves a bit of time in grabbing wrenches, of course. My main problem is I adore making a mess when making an oil change, so a Fumoto minimizes the temptation to make one.

I have them on all of our vehicles. As one of the posters said, if you are looking at one, give the SX a try. Flow is a lot faster and the SX valve has better options for ensuring it doesn't hang down like the previous versions may have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back