Putting brakes on the Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.
We live up in the N. Georgia mountains. We have two rather steep, although not too long, sections of road to get to our house. This has put a strain on the Frontier's brakes which in my opinion weren't extremely strong to begin when brand new.

I've decided to replace the rotors and pads on all four corners. After a week of searching, I've narrowed it down to these pads and rotors because most can be purchased (and returned if needed) locally, except the Centrics which are tax free, and shipped free, from AutoAnything.

Pads:
Raybestos Professional Grade Ceramic
Raybestos Enhanced Hybrid Technology (Ceramic with Composite)
NAPA Premium Ceramic
Advanced Auto/Carquest Wearever Platinum Professional Ceramic
Centric Posi Quiet Ceramic

Rotors:
Raybestos Advanced Technology
Raybestos Professional Grade
NAPA Ultra Premium
Advanced Auto/Carquest Platinum Painted
Centric Premium

Thoughts? Opinions? Good or bad experiences with any of the above? Thanks.

I've had good luck with Centric Posi Quiet Ceramics; I've never worn a set out prior to the calipers eventually freezing and burning up my entire brake system lol.

That being said, I've only used them on a 2100 lb car with a 5sp where braking could be considered 'minimal' (i got 170K out of the factory pads)

I have no reason not to buy them again

Last edited:
Raybestos Advanced Technology have always been my go-to rotors. Never had an issue, plus the rotor hat and vanes have a nice black coating on them. Looks count too.

I've never used any of the pads on your list.

Based on the experience of my most recent 6 brake jobs which were all performed with Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors and Raybestos EHT pads I can't recommend them HIGHLY ENOUGH. Akebono Pro ACT used to be my go to pad for everything but they've been replaced by the Raybestos EHT pad. The EHT pad has as a GG friction rating on every application I've used it on and is lower dusting than the Akebono Pro ACT which I already thought were very clean pads. No noise complaints with any of the sets I've installed including my mothers GS350 Lexus and my personal ES330 Lexus which already has nearly 20,000 miles on the AT rotors and EHT pads.

Go with the Raybestos AT rotor paired with EHT pads, you won't be sorry that you did.

I have had the NAPA Ultra Premium rotors on the front of my Pilot for over 10K miles now, and highly recommend them. However I had to index one side a few times, then grind down a tiny burr on the hub before I could get the runout less than .004". Not the fault of the rotor.

In other words, even the finest rotor is fubar if the slightest wobble exists due to a dirty or peened hub. You'll get that "warped rotor" feel in about 10K miles.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/UBP880370CR

I put NAPA Adaptive One pads on the Pilot at the same time, and can recommend them, too. We've had a few panic stops since we put them on (Maryland drivers, ha) and they do a great job, and aren't dirty, either. Since you have some NAPA parts on your list, I assume they can get them in stock in a few days, if available.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ADOAD8200

Another thing I like about them is they come with all the extra hardware, like abutment clips. The local NAPA staff recommends them strongly over the costlier Ultra Premium pads.

I don't have any experience with the rest of your list. I've had the Wearever Gold's on the back of the Pilot for 24K miles now, and they seem OK, but not much feel or performance is contributed by the rear brakes. They are on NAPA Premium rotors, I wish NAPA made their coated Ultra Premium rotors for the Pilot rear. Not that I had any problems with parallelism or runout, but just to slow down the rust cycle.

You want heavy duty components for mountainous driving. I've heard good things about the high end stuff by Raybestos.

Pads:
I have used the Raybestos EHT and Centric 105 PosiQuiet Ceramics on your list. We have done many brake jobs with them. The EHTs do offer slightly better bite than the OE pads but some have come back noisy after 6 months - 1 yr. The 105s have been quiet and in general, last longer than the factory pads in the D905/1288 applications. However, they do give up some bite compared to the factory pads and I have found that they can cause a spongy pedal on some applications. In summary, we have switched back to factory original pads and factory original shim kits at our shop.

Rotors:
NAPA Ultra Premium and Raybestos AT are the same rotor. Centric Premium is a good rotor. Raybestos Pro Grade and CarQuest Platinum appear to be economy rotors, some of which come painted. On Nissans, we use Centric Premium and the Akebono rotors with good results. On Toyota we use the Advics or the factory-original rotors.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Pads:
I have used the Raybestos EHT and Centric 105 PosiQuiet Ceramics on your list. We have done many brake jobs with them. The EHTs do offer slightly better bite than the OE pads but some have come back noisy after 6 months - 1 yr. The 105s have been quiet and in general, last longer than the factory pads in the D905/1288 applications. However, they do give up some bite compared to the factory pads and I have found that they can cause a spongy pedal on some applications. In summary, we have switched back to factory original pads and factory original shim kits at our shop.

Rotors:
NAPA Ultra Premium and Raybestos AT are the same rotor. Centric Premium is a good rotor. Raybestos Pro Grade and CarQuest Platinum appear to be economy rotors, some of which come painted. On Nissans, we use Centric Premium and the Akebono rotors with good results. On Toyota we use the Advics or the factory-original rotors.

Critic,

Do you mean same rotor with different names, or different rotors with the same quality? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Sierra048

Critic,

Do you mean same rotor with different names, or different rotors with the same quality? Thanks.

My understanding is that Raybestos AT and Napa Ultra Premium are the same rotor, just sold under different labels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back