MTF in 2012 Nissan Versa

Status
Not open for further replies.
What fluid would you use in a 2012 Nissan Versa Manual Transmission? It has the 1.8 and the Amsoil site says:

Manual Transmission,N/A (6-SPD)......GL-4
All TEMPS......75W-80
No AMSOIL Product Recommendation

So I'm guessing I better stay with Nissan OEM??

Good luck finding something that is "75W80". It's a manual transmission, not the Space Shuttle. Redline makes something that will work fine as do others, even if it's not exactly a 75W80.

Redline has a product that would work. I have heard of people mixing Amsoils MTF and MTG to get close to the required viscosity, but I have no idea if this is a good idea. If needed, I would probably try it on my own car or an older car that was out of warranty since I keep both of these products in stock.

Any of the following would qualify as a 75W80:

C. The next higher viscosity MTL group is in the 8.0 cSt to 8.9 cSt Range would be:

1. Castrol Syntrans V FE (8.0cSt)
2. Redline DCTF Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid (8.1 cSt)
3. The next higher viscosity would be BG Synchroshift II (8.2 cSt)
4. RAVENOL PSA

D. The next higher viscosity MTL group in the 9.0 to 9.5 cSt range is (SAE 75W80):

1. Mopar Type MS-9417 MTL 9.0 cSt
2. Valvoline MTF Part Number 811095 9.2 cSt
3. Pennzoil Synchromesh 9.3 cSt
4. RAVENOL PSA 9.5 cSt
5. RAVENOL SSG 9.5 cSt

E. The next group of MTL’s are in the 9.6 to 10.X cSt range (SAE 75W80):

1. Redline MTL 75W80
2. Amsoil MTF (9.7 cSt)
3. GM Synchromesh’s
4. Volvo MTF 645
5. Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID SAE 75W-80 synthetic MTF (Carries a GL-5 rating as well)
6. Lodexol (Morris Lubricants) MTF
7. Motylgear 75W-80

Recommendation: Buy a quart of the Nissan fluid and have it analyzed for its viscosity @ 100C and we can narrow down the recommendations.

If you look at the ridiculous SAE viscosity range of a 75W80 it can mean a large range in viscosities.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/

Last edited:
Viscosity chart

Any quality MTF in the 8-9 cSt at 100c should work ok. Check out Molakule's Transmission oil listing for GL4 ratings...there are a number of choices. First thing that comes to mind would be the Pennzoil/GM synchromeshes. 75w-80 actually covers a pretty wide range.

note: looks like Molakule beat me by a minute.

I used pennzoil synchromesh with great success in my 2012 1.6 Versa. It performed well in 100+ degree Georgia heat and Alaskan -40F weather. Shifting was butter. FYI in case you haven’t changed it before the drain plug on my Versa was an 8mm square drive, picked up a whole set of square drives for about $10 at Harbor Freight.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
I got a Versa and i changed the MTF. I think you should use the Nissan OEM Fluid.

Did you end up with 75w-80 or 75w-85? It seems Nissan changed what they are stocking/re-branding. I have a Sentra and am now on the fence between the new "oem" fluid or something that better matches the original spec.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back