Generic ATF+4

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I can tell, there are no ATF+4 licenced lubes available in Australia other than genuine and I'm not even going to bother asking for a price.
Most local marketers here recommend their multivehicle lubes for ATF+4, these are typically synthetic recommended for Dex/Mercon, Mercon V, MV, T-IV, SP-III etc. I've used one in a T-IV application with good results. I'm thinking about using the same in a 6 speed Dodge Journey. Any experiences?

I have a Dodge Grand Caravan. This is my first vehicle using an ATF+4.

In other vehicles I've used a multivehicle ATF like Maxlife ATF or Mobil 1 ATF, with good results.

However, with the Caravan I will only be using an ATF+4. IMO these transmissions are too finicky. I've also read that the old Dodge/Chrysler Trannys had failures when people used the wrong fluids in them.

Compatibility seems to be hit-or-miss with the MV ATFs and Chrysler transmissions. To be safe, I'd stick with ATF+4.

Australian Amazon?

Certainly the dealer could hook you up with some bulk?

I wouldn't run a non ATF+4 fluid.

What year is your Dodge Journey? There are 2 6 speed autos that came in those. Chrysler has a lot of transmissions. Many are not Chrysler trans but others with their name on it so the Mutli vehicle syn fluids work ok in those.

Like the NAG1 is a Mercedes 722.6 and Valvoline maxlife works fine in those for example.

If yours has the 62TE then I would use a fluid that meets ATF+4. Those are picky.
If you have the Getrag Mps6 DCT those I don;t think take ATF+4 but a different dual-clutch manual fluid.

huh...even on the Castrol Australia site, for that car, and it's fiat twin, under transmission it just says refer to dealer..

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
Compatibility seems to be hit-or-miss with the MV ATFs and Chrysler transmissions. To be safe, I'd stick with ATF+4.

Yea, you dump any Dextron3 in there and it’ll very soon be shifting funny and you will be doing it all over again . Just don’t do it . The higher grades may be compatible though but make sure because Chrysler’s tranny’s are fussy...

I have had very good success in 4 speed Dodge FWD with Amsoil universal ATF. But the newer 6 speeds, I have no experience, and the cost might be as high as dealer fluids there? I think Redline makes a Chrysler-specific ATF+4 fluid.

I used a PAO based fluid that was "suitable for use" with ATF+4 in my 2011 Ram 1500 with the 545RFE. It ran just as good as the factory fill while heavily loaded and unloaded.

I realized that the transmission did not care one bit.

Originally Posted By: supercity
As far as I can tell, there are no ATF+4 licenced lubes available in Australia other than genuine and I'm not even going to bother asking for a price.
Most local marketers here recommend their multivehicle lubes for ATF+4, these are typically synthetic recommended for Dex/Mercon, Mercon V, MV, T-IV, SP-III etc. I've used one in a T-IV application with good results. I'm thinking about using the same in a 6 speed Dodge Journey. Any experiences?

It might help to actually list what else is available, give some links, etc.

If you can get Red Line C+ in Australia, go with that. Even though it's not licensed, the C+ is by far the best ATF for transmissions calling for ATF+4. It uses the same add pack as licensed ATF+4, but with a Group V ester base stock (which is why Chrysler won't license it--they are way to strict about the group III they require)

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
If you can get Red Line C+ in Australia, go with that. Even though it's not licensed, the C+ is by far the best ATF for transmissions calling for ATF+4. It uses the same add pack as licensed ATF+4, but with a Group V ester base stock (which is why Chrysler won't license it--they are way to strict about the group III they require)

I don't believe it's ester based. It has been confirmed thier motor oils are only 10% ester. I would not have concerns using it but it would have to be price competitive for me to use it.

I do not own any Chrysler products, nor have I used Redline C+, but I have used Redline D4 and it is the best "butt dyno" transmission fluid I have ever used.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Originally Posted By: supercity

It might help to actually list what else is available, give some links, etc.

OK then

Penrite FS
Penrite MHP
Liqui Moly Top Tec ATF 1200
Nulon

I have a 2012 Journey. Fairly sure it has the 62TE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back