Your favorite non chain auto parts store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KzMitch
Ah, the upside down piston ashtray.
I miss that.
And I don’t even smoke.

I dont either. Dont care for being around it... but its part of the memory for me.

Originally Posted By: Driz
Originally Posted By: Trav
I still go to a couple real parts stores, the guy behind the counter is still puffing on a stogie and guys smoke in there. There are bar stools and rubber mats on the counter.
These are out of the way places that have been there for decades and don't advertise, hardly any DIY types in there.

Wow, there’s still some left? The last one of those with the bar stools I saw was probably in 1973 in Northern NY. They really harken back to dark ages.

Our local Napa Still does have the bar stools. They even have the huge catalogs behind the counter on those special stands. They use the computer to look up your parts though. Some of the catalogs look newer.

I guess I'm fortunate to have several.

1) County Auto Parts in Oakland, NJ (where I-278 intersects NJ Rt. 208). Their the ones who stock WIX filters near me. They gave me good credit on an old "tuna can" Honda filter-even after the last one had sold years before.

2) Royal Auto Parts in Paterson, NJ (and yes, Lou Costello was born there). Right off US Rt. 46 westbound.

3) R.B. Auto & Truck Parts in Ticonderoga, NY. Was in business but was bought buy another local NAPA owner who put a small NAPA sticker on the sign.

4) Northvale Auto Parts in Northvale, NJ. This joint is so old fashioned they wouldn't use an ashtray. A lot of their business is out of nearby warehouses.
This is a case of a family owning the building so the offspring continue the business.
Many times such businesses go up the offspring's noses but not here.

We even have a HUGE warehouse which stocks CHEAP parts. I swear. In an industrial park near I-80. It's where I learned about those $3 TYC single sheet cabin air filters.
I unknowingly bought a cheap water pump there. Had I known.....

We didn't have any "independent" auto parts stores, they were NAPA franchises. The two that sold to the service station where I worked in the '70s were Pennsburg Auto Parts and AB Ziegler, both were pretty old school. One Sunday, I arrived at work to find a stranger rooting through our little stock room, taking notes. What the heck? Turns out it was Burt from AB Ziegler, he was checking to see what we needed restocked, drumming up a little business. The guy was just being a good salesman, and I suspect he wanted to get out of the house for a bit. Burt was OK, a good fellow.

Last edited:
Mayville Automotive in Mayville, MI they have the bar stools, the lisle tools, and the Amsoil. They also always have a cat sleeping on the counter. Has saved the day countless times.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
When I get auto parts other than the run of the mill replacement parts, I like to go where the store has certain characteristics.

1. The guys behind the counter are over fifty and the’ve worked there for years.
2. There is an upside down piston on the counter where they used to butt their smokes. ( can’t smoke in the store any more)
3. They have some store oil but they also carry Amsoil.
4. They have a whole wall of Lisle specialty tools.

This store is Bowness Auto parts in Calgary Alberta. Tell us about your favorite store in this category. Give them some free advertising because typically they don’t advertise.

SF

Nothing here that cool with the exception of my favorite junkyard. Lots of square body Chevy trucks and full sized Jeeps. Been going there a little over 10 years.

The owner sure is a hoot.. you get a discount if you bring beer.

Have an independent parts store about 30 miles away. Family owned and Father Daughter and son run it. Got to say the most miserable people you can imagine. The main reason they do a good business is they can get anything and good prices.

Originally Posted By: Ben Boyle
They also always have a cat sleeping on the counter. Has saved the day countless times.

I need something like that now.

No more mom and pops auto pets stores near me that I know of anymore. If they do exist, they just can’t compete w the prices of the chains or the internet. My fav is Summit Racing online

I used to work for a mom and pop parts store back in the 70's. Full service machine shop too. The place reeked from the hot tank. They've all been run out by the chains around here.

Town I grew up in, Freeport, Long Island, had a place many years ago called Collins Auto Parts. They had a machine shop on premises and had just about every part known to man in stock. Once I was established as a reputable mechanic, they used to let me search the attic and watch my stuff get machined. Long gone now.

In Merrick, the next town East, there's still Colvin Motor parts. They have a machine shop as well and you can get ANY part there. Even though I live twenty miles away, I still go there when the need arises.
Closer to home in Bayshore is a store called Mars Auto Parts. Last of the old school stores. I like that place too.
In (I think) Farmingdale, there's a shop called S-K Speed. Haven't been in there in a few years because the last time I was in there they had more tuner stuff than I cared to be around. Last of the old school, over the counter speed shops though.

Christiansen's in Kankakee IL. It's a NAPA store and been there longer than I can remember, since the 60's at least.

in Wichita, KS. a mom and pop store. 47 th st auto parts. the first time i went in about about 1957. MOM really DID help dad get his parts

NAPA in Walnut Creek and the fellows there have been around for years. Another would be Monument Auto in Pacheco, Concord, San Ramon and Livermore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back