This is what 5k OCI looks like under valve cover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what 5k oil change intervals looks like at 45k miles (BMW/Peugeot N16 engine). Not a hint of varnish. I'm sure the piston skirts and rings look just as good. Some say 5k is too short, I say it's not.

Oils used:
- OEM Mini 5W-30 synthetic (first 4)
- Motul X-Clean 5W-30 (5th)
- BMW TwinPower Turbo 5W-30 (6th)
- EDGE 0W-30 (7th and 8th)

Mann or OEM Mini oil filters.

If you could compare it to 10k mile OCI, you'd have have some basis to say 5k OCI is better than 10k OCI.

It does look very nice!

Originally Posted By: Leo99
If you could compare it to 10k mile OCI, you'd have have some basis to say 5k OCI is better than 10k OCI.

It does look very nice!

+1

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
Nice! I wonder if the "S" version would look the same.

I would assume it would. Same family of engine.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

It does look very nice!

It would be hard to make the case that 5k is the same or worse than 10k. It’s just a matter of how much better, or how much of a difference, 5k over 10k makes. The sump is so small in these engines, I would assume it’s notable.

It’s amazing how much dirtier the oil gets in the Mini compared to my V8 X5 in 5k miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Superflan
In Europe we run these engines at 10k miles OCI or even longer. No trace of sludge ever.

Sludge and varnish are two very different things.

With 5k oil changes, the real question is why is the cover off at a mere 40k miles?

Cover is off because the timing chain is making noise amirite?! What do i win?!

Either that or valve cover leak. Or DI related carbon deposits. Or all of the above in any combination. Regardless what a POS motor at any oil change interval. Baby it all you want, an abortion between BMW and Peugeot.

It looks great. I wouldn't extend the interval or mess with anything. Stick with what is working!

Would longer intervals achieve the same results in 'your' application? You'll never know, nor should you care. You found something that worked.

Deposit control has many factors, including the choice of oil. It's not unusual to see 10K oil changes with minimal deposits when using quality synthetics. But one factor constantly ignored is that contaminates and microparticulates build up in the oil. Unburned fuel and combustion byproducts get past the piston rings, and into the oil. At which point much of the unburned fuel evaporates, leaving behind a small, non volatile components of the fuel. It accumulates, mile after mile, and it's not oil, and it's not fuel. The combustion byproducts include micro particulates that are instrumental in wearing the various timing and balancer chains.

The choice of a quality synthetic oil, coupled with a 5000 mile oil change interval is a great way ensure you are not shortchanging the life of your engine. Unless you know for a fact that your particular model engine is not prone to rapid timing chain or balancer chain wear, and you know that it's unlikely to have oil consumption issues from clogged piston oil ring drain holes, or poor oil ring performance.... Or any number of other problems that so often crop up in modern engines, from sludge to cam wear.... (Remember many GM, Toyota, Ford, BMW, VW and other brands have these known issues)

Looks fantastic .

Our little Chevy Sonic 1.8l automatic . I change oil/filter at 55% & 5% on the Oil Life Indicator . It does not have a timing chain . It uses a timing belt . So no concerns with timing chain guides / tensioners .

Now , GM indicates a Dexos oil . I have always used a full synthetic .

I read the engine has a cam phaser , activated / operated by engine oil , used for a hydraulic fluid . I wish to keep everything very clean in hopes none of those small oil passages stop up , requiring cam phaser repair . Thus changing oil / filter at 1/2 OLI .

Hope the 1.8l in our little red Sonic stays as clean as your engine in the photo .

5K OCIs are the new 3K. I'm not surprised the inside of a modern engine with modern oils looks great. Why shouldn't it?

+1 to what demarpaint stated. That's exactly right in my opinion as well.

And Bottom Feeder is right too. Shouldn't be a surprise given how good oils have been made in the last 20 years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
5K OCIs are the new 3K.

With "conventional" tier oils IMO, not full syns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back