Who is using a synblend / semi-synthetic oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SR5

So who is using a synblend / semi-synthetic oil right now ?

I've just changed to Penrite Vantage 10W40 semi-synthetic, and it's a very nice drop. Penrite claim all their semi-synthetics are a minimum of 20% synthetic (Group III) or more depending on product, and none contain Group I.

Previously I have used Valvoline DuraBlend 10W40 semi-synthetic, back when I asked years ago, it was 30 % synthetic. I've also used Castrol Magnatec 10W30 semi-synthetic, another excellent oil.

All three were rated API SN and Euro ACEA A3/B4 so they carried good specs.

I know the new GTX UltraClean is part synthetic, as are many of the newer "conventional" oils.

For Oz there is a real price saving going from full synthetic to semi-synthetic, but I realise some markets are different, and price the two so closely that it's easy to pay a bit more for a full syn.

To be honest, some of the smoothest oils I have used have been labelled semi-synthetic or synblend. I've never felt under gunned using them.

Anybody else using a semi-synthetic right now, or had good experiences using them before ?

Back when pennzoil had their “viscocity” web site, they claimed their semi syn was 50% synthetic. Is it now? It’s been a while since viscocity was up, so I can’t say if they’ve changed it.

Most (maybe all, I don't know) 10W-40's are semi synth here. Last place I worked at we had Mobil 10W-40 in our bulk tank (and Delvac MX in the other) and we used it in everything unless it specifically called for a 5W-30. I'm happy to use a semi in anything...

Well my Valvoline white bottle is now a synthetic blend per TDS from Valvoline. Which it probably has been for quite sometime after ILSAC GF-5 started. That having been said, it runs very well in my Altima 3.5 VQ. It's actually quieter than the Valvoline Modern Engine I had in there.

I use Motorcraft 5W30 now and again. It’s pretty good stuff. The Pennzoil Gold looks to be a good oil, I have never used it.

I still got a couple of Magnatec 5w-30 that is their semi-synthetic blend. Once those are gone though it will be full synthetic (well, at least group III).

In the past I've used plenty of Conoco Phillips (now Phillips 66) synthetic blend oils branded 76, Conoco, Kendall and Motorcraft in a 5w-20 and 5w-30 formula. Good stuff! I only stopped using it when it became more difficult to find and buy.

As said, many "conventional" oils today are technically a blend.

As far as labeled as a blend, yes, I have been using some GTX Syn-blend because I got it cheap.
I also have some Magnatec that is syn-blend that I will use at some point.

I used Motorcraft syn-blend in the past because it was a good oil for a cheap price. Not as cheap as it used to be.

I used Valvoline Durablend for a bit as well.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Back when pennzoil had their “viscocity” web site, they claimed their semi syn was 50% synthetic. Is it now? It’s been a while since viscocity was up, so I can’t say if they’ve changed it.
Define synthetic . That is the issue.

I've always wondered about synthetic blend oils. Are they group I/II oils with a dash of group III thrown in,or are they group III oils with a dash of group IV or V thrown in?

I'm using a couple now. I'm using Magnatec dexos 5w30 blend in mine and my girlfriend's cars and QS High mileage synblend in my Jeep. I like blends when they're cheap enough to make sense.

I'm only going to list the oils that are specifically advertised as synthetic blends on the bottle. I have used the following synblends in the past:
Castrol Synblend
Motorcraft Synthetic Blend
Valvoline Durablend

Originally Posted By: double vanos

Short answer: Yes....

Sometimes I put Smitty's syn blend in cars I change the oil on, when a low price without a rebate is the most important thing
smile.gif

My hilux did around 420,000kms on penrite semi-synthetic until I did a couple of runs with Pennzoil platinum I bought from GL lubricants. Started to leak like oil like a sieve a short time after going to the full synthetic and still does. Full synthetics certainly clean very well, and when I bought the JK new I decided to start with a full synthetic and stay with it. A full synthetic over a semi synthetic in my case costs about a $1.10 extra a week over the 6 month service interval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back