2002 Silverado 5.3 Starter

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 Chevy Silverado

Need a new starter from a reputable manufacture

Any recommendations is greatly appreciated.

Nothing from anywhere outside the country. They're ALL trash.

See if someone local still rebuilds with quality parts. Take yours in and swap for one of those.

Well first time my original starter went out I sent it out to a reputable shop to get rebuilt. Failed within 4 years.
I have a lifetime warranty on it but need to find the receipt or they will not honor it.

4 years out of a decent rebuild or 4 months out of a Chinese or Mexican unit? I know which one I would have.

ACDelco 12617229 GM Original Equipment Starter..... HERE

Solenoid Pigtail (Metripack/sealed)..... HERE

Optional Starter Heat Sheild..... HERE

You will need 3 bolts to mount the heat shield to the stater......M5x0.8mm-10mm long.

This is a brand new GM Original Equipment starter for 2010-2015 Camaros. It will fit your 2002 5.3L by simply splicing the above pigtail to you solenoid wire. I recommend the Heat Shield but it's not mandatory.

Replaced starter and problem solved.
Was not able to find receipt for lifetime warranty so I had to suck it up and buy a starter from Auto-zone.
Hoping it will last a few years.

Originally Posted By: Gito

Was not able to find receipt for lifetime warranty so I had to suck it up and buy a starter from Auto-zone.

Did you buy new or rebuilt? Just for the sake of being curious here, but did your rebuilder guarantee that the whole starter would be good for a lifetime or ONLY WHAT THEY ORIGINALLY REPAIRED?
Seems a lot of shops have a way of sidestepping the lifetime warranty.
The wiring and insulation on any starter or alternator is affected by heat. While I'm all in favor of rebuilding the OEM starter/alternator, chances are it won't last as long the second time around.
Edit: Saw in your original post you wanted it new.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: Gito

Did you buy new or rebuilt? Just for the sake of being curious here, but did your rebuilder guarantee that the whole starter would be good for a lifetime or ONLY WHAT THEY ORIGINALLY REPAIRED?
Seems a lot of shops have a way of sidestepping the lifetime warranty.
The wiring and insulation on any starter or alternator is affected by heat. While I'm all in favor of rebuilding the OEM starter/alternator, chances are it won't last as long the second time around.
Edit: Saw in your original post you wanted it new.

Rebuilder of the original OEM starter stressed that need receipt to honor lifetime warranty.
Couldn't find receipt so I had to buy a new starter at Auto-zone. Napa was closed (Sunday) and needed my truck by Monday.
AutoZ did tell me that if the starter went bad on me that I could return it for a full refund within one year.
I hesitated but then AutoZ is local so I took it because of convenience and because I had no other choice (on a Sunday).

The reputable starter/generator rebuilder in my book is no different than AutoZ. The starter didn't last very long.
I'm starting to believe that most rebuilders also sell junk, just like most stores.

Last edited:
find yourself a local shop that rebuilds.. most do it for less than the price of a cheap replacement, and do it better.. if you have a spare car, id go that route.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
find yourself a local shop that rebuilds.. most do it for less than the price of a cheap replacement, and do it better.. if you have a spare car, id go that route.

This is a good route to go as well.
My dad owns an 06 LTC. The alternator went out and he had a local shop that only rebuilds starters and alternators, rebuild his. That was almost 4 years ago. Rebuild, remove and install, $150+tax.

Did you get the Duralast Gold new starter? I have seen them and cant say anything bad about the fit and finish of them and they seem to last okay.
I suspect they come from the same company who makes them for Remy, Car Quest, Cardone select and probably quite a few others worldwide.
Like it or not (I don't but I live with it) the Chicoms are owning this manufacturing game and doing a better job of it all the time.

I bought some Dorman (God forbid) non sealed hubs for a VW that only needed to last a year for a rat, year 3 is coming up and they look like new inc the tone ring. This is a high precision part with close tolerances and requires fine machining.
OE is $185 per side the Chicom under $16 and the cheap SOB is very good no debate, its still true and rust free in the salt belt.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Did you get the Duralast Gold new starter? I have seen them and cant say anything bad about the fit and finish of them and they seem to last okay.
I suspect they come from the same company who makes them for Remy, Car Quest, Cardone select and probably quite a few others worldwide.
Like it or not (I don't but I live with it) the Chicoms are owning this manufacturing game and doing a better job of it all the time.

I bought some Dorman (God forbid) non sealed hubs for a VW that only needed to last a year for a rat, year 3 is coming up and they look like new inc the tone ring. This is a high precision part with close tolerances and requires fine machining.
OE is $185 per side the Chicom under $16 and the cheap SOB is very good no debate, its still true and rust free in the salt belt.

Christmas Eve 2010, I had gone to AZ to buy a bottle of #9 Meguiars swirl remover for a job I was doing on the side. I get in my truck to leave, turn the key, NOTHING! I had to put out $111 for a DURALAST battery. It lasted until 2014. It had a 5 yr. warranty. The one they installed currently (NO CHARGE) only has a 3 yr. warranty and is still going. But, I'm sure its day is coming, soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back