What happened to rust proofing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pelican
Originally Posted By: irv
Originally Posted By: ZZman
I remember when it was all the rage but now you never hear about it.
Are vehicles almost rust proof now?

If it's the rust proofing I use, (Rust Check & Krown) it has to be applied annually to keep up the warranty on it if it's a new vehicle.
I have skipped a year before if we have had a [censored], low salt winter but most of the time I have it done annually.
It is still popular up here, or at least in my neck of the woods, but like everything else vehicle related this day and age, I think most people are uneducated about it and with the benefits it provides.
I had a long waiting time waiting to get my wife's car done at Krown last November but hardly any wait at all at a Rust Check place just around the corner.I am not saying Krown is better, that is an ongoing debate, but I believe most that have used the Rust Check place know they do a less than stellar job. I will be getting both vehicles done again this July/August as the summer time is the best time to get them done as the product creeps and gets into all those nooks and crannies a lot better when it is warm/hot out.

I've used Rust-Check & now use Krown. Krown came about when a group of Rust-Check dealers dissatisfied on how the franchise was run created it. It's 99% the same liquid, the 1% change was needed to overcome patent laws. It's by far the best rust inhibitor around.

Bit of a contradiction between those last two sentences.

Originally Posted By: tig1
In 1985 I had a new car rust proofed, and caused it to rust more than ever.

I'd like to hear that story, Tig. What kind/type of rustproofing was it exactly?

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: Pelican
Originally Posted By: irv
Originally Posted By: ZZman
I remember when it was all the rage but now you never hear about it.
Are vehicles almost rust proof now?

If it's the rust proofing I use, (Rust Check & Krown) it has to be applied annually to keep up the warranty on it if it's a new vehicle.
I have skipped a year before if we have had a [censored], low salt winter but most of the time I have it done annually.
It is still popular up here, or at least in my neck of the woods, but like everything else vehicle related this day and age, I think most people are uneducated about it and with the benefits it provides.
I had a long waiting time waiting to get my wife's car done at Krown last November but hardly any wait at all at a Rust Check place just around the corner.I am not saying Krown is better, that is an ongoing debate, but I believe most that have used the Rust Check place know they do a less than stellar job. I will be getting both vehicles done again this July/August as the summer time is the best time to get them done as the product creeps and gets into all those nooks and crannies a lot better when it is warm/hot out.

I've used Rust-Check & now use Krown. Krown came about when a group of Rust-Check dealers dissatisfied on how the franchise was run created it. It's 99% the same liquid, the 1% change was needed to overcome patent laws. It's by far the best rust inhibitor around.

Bit of a contradiction between those last two sentences.

No, you're mistaken, that 1% difference makes all the difference in the world!
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: cjcride
Bet you have good words for Toyota.

Are you using Krown?

Newer (>2000) Toyotas yes. Older ones, not so much. My 1989 Tercel it was very hard to keep it from rusting, as was my 1998 RAV4.

For my Echo I used Ziebart for the first 10 years, then I switched to another (Metropolitan Rustproofing, not sure which product they use).

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: grampi

I was going to have my mechanic do rust proofing on my wife's new Sienna (when we first got it, it's a 2015), but when I called the service manager at the Toyota dealership, he said doing any aftermarket rust proofing would void the factory rust proofing warranty...

If it's a perforation only warranty, which it's almost a 100% guarantee, then it's basically worthless, unless you're willing to drive around in a rusty vehicle untill holes appear in the panels.

And once it perforates, they'll tell you that you didn't take care of it, thus they aren't liable.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: grampi

I was going to have my mechanic do rust proofing on my wife's new Sienna (when we first got it, it's a 2015), but when I called the service manager at the Toyota dealership, he said doing any aftermarket rust proofing would void the factory rust proofing warranty...

If it's a perforation only warranty, which it's almost a 100% guarantee, then it's basically worthless, unless you're willing to drive around in a rusty vehicle untill holes appear in the panels.

And once it perforates, they'll tell you that you didn't take care of it, thus they aren't liable.

That's true if you neglect a chip or scratch on the exterior paint and it eventually rusts from the outside and perforates the metal. Rust proofing doesn't cover that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back