Bypass oil setup help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for some help on a oil filtration setup I am planning. I am using baldwin filter bases with wix filters. Details are below, are these good filters to use?

Regular Filter Base: OB8722 (w/ bypass indicator)
Regular Filter: WIX 51495 (17 micron rating)

Bypass Filter Base: OB8720 (w/o bypass indicator)
Bypass Filter: WIX 51457 (3 micron rating)

I will be putting this on my 6.0 powerstroke diesel, I chose to go with those bases for their input/output size. My system will be using 12an hose/fittings for best flow. I already purchased the bases so I will be sticking with them.

Originally Posted By: arayray94
I will be putting this on my 6.0 powerstroke diesel, I chose to go with those bases for their input/output size. My system will be using 12an hose/fittings for best flow. I already purchased the bases so I will be sticking with them.

You are terribly misinformed.....

A Bypass oil filter uses 1/8" or 1/4" lines, at the MOST - you are only flowing about a quart of oil per minute.

You have taking a very wrong turn somewhere in your idea of this design.

arayray94,

Linctex is correct. If you are going to run a spin on bypass filter you would need a filter mount such as a Baldwin OB1305 or a Wix 24755. Both of these mounts have the same thread size 5/8-18 with inlet and outlet hole sizes 1/8 NPT. The Baldwin B50 and B164 filters are Bypass filters with .060 built in restrictors. I run a .030 in-line restrictor in my Spin on Bypass filter set-ups to restrict the oil flow even more. You can tap into an oil port on the engine. I use a sandwich adapter on my gas engines which allows me to retain my full flow filter and from a port on the sandwich adapter I run a line to the inlet of the Baldwin OB1305 Mount and my return line goes into s swivel fitting mounted on my oil cap. I use the smaller Baldwin B50 Bypass filter. My oil flow with warm oil is under a quart a minute.

nuff said,

xtell

Bypass fiters aren't really worth the results. No matter what has been read. Have fun though.

I am a total noob to oil analysis and bypass filters, I really would like to get into it. I am installing a oil-to-air oil cooler on my 6.0 powerstroke and figure why not add a bypass filter while I am at it.

[*]I already have the OB8722 base for my regular filter, is the WIX 51495 a good filter on it's own?
[*]Any guides or links to learn more about oil analysis and what to look for?

Last edited:
Quote:
[/quote]*]I already have the OB8722 base for my regular filter, is the WIX 51495 a good filter on it's own?
The filter you chose flows a lot of oil but as far as its filtering qualities, some regular oil filters do a lot better. It is not a bypass filter. Did you check the prior posts as far as potential bypass mounts and filter selections?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back