Never hear about Chinese brand motor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While perusing BITOG, I had a eureka moment. I've never seen a Chinese brand motor oil on these forums, from recent memory. Most of us have purchased various motor oils from Europe and Japan. Here is a link of Chinese Motor Oil Products , with a search from google. Just a thought!

Any experiences with Chinese Motor oil?

Respectfully,

Pajero!

I've seen a b double trailer running around with sinopec branding on it, so for this post I'll talk about them. Never heard of anyone using it but I'd wager their current target market at least in aus is farmers and commercial users as the price would almost certainly be lower than most western companies.

As for their quality I'm sure they're fine. It wouldn't be terribly hard to make a decent oil from scratch, or even if they licence a formula from another company.

As for would i use it? No. Sinopec is a subsidiary of a state owned company, and I'd rather not give money to a government who actively despises every country around them (including australia).

i'm loving the rather Engrish/Chinesium name of this product:

Premium-Oil-Additive-and-Oil-Treatment-for-Car-Engine.jpg

Originally Posted By: Pajero
While perusing BITOG, I had a eureka moment. I've never seen a Chinese brand motor oil on these forums, from recent memory. Most of us have purchased various motor oils from Europe and Japan. Here is a link of Chinese Motor Oil Products , with a search from google. Just a thought!

Any experiences with Chinese Motor oil?

Respectfully,

Pajero!

You;ve not been perusing carefully enough. I just posted such an experience. (Though its Little China, not Big China) so that would be an (elathoman) moment, used a lot to mean “it escaped my notice.”

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4654459/Re:_About_oil_change_once_a_ye#Post4654459

CPC is the Taiwan state refining operation. CNPC is the mainland China equivalent. No experience with their stuff and don't want any.

Last edited:
I will purchase a proven product , And I try to avoid made in china as possible. pay some one to work or pay them welfare benefits. I have my preferences.

It might surprise you to know that the Chinese take their oil formulation extremely seriously.

They have invested heavily in bang up-to-date base oil capacity & have their own domestic additive & VII supply. They also have their own modern test houses which are on a par with what you could find in the rest of the world. It's strange that the Chinese consumer sees foreign, imported oils as being 'better' than 'bad' domestically produced oils when as often as not, the domestic oil is 'over-formulated' (in a good way) by virtue of traditional Chinese conservatism.

One other feature worthy of note is that the Chinese oil companies, unlike their western counterparts, still tend to 'self-formulate' their own oils from scratch (as opposed to relying on the AddCo's to do the bulk of the formulation heavy lifting). To my mind, this makes them more 'invested' in the products they supply and removes the temptation to shave everything to the bone and cut corners on testing.

crazy2.gif
yourself

My "CNPC is the mainland China equivalent. No experience with their stuff and don't want any." was political predjudice and nothing to do with their oil quality, which is probably fine.

Likewise the CPC stuff here seems to be fine, but there are quite a lot of unknown private labels here (don't know if that applies to mainland China but I'd doubt it) that I'd have reservations about.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SonofJoe
It might surprise you to know that the Chinese take their oil formulation extremely seriously.

They have invested heavily in bang up-to-date base oil capacity & have their own domestic additive & VII supply....

I would speculate they use 100% made-in-China lubricants in their 'space' and high-speed-rail industries,among others...

Originally Posted By: zeng
Originally Posted By: SonofJoe

They have invested heavily in bang up-to-date base oil capacity & have their own domestic additive & VII supply....

I would speculate they use 100% made-in-China lubricants in their 'space' and high-speed-rail industries,among others...

I suspect you're correct. One thing I've noticed about the Chinese (both mainland and Taiwanese) is that they really know how to throw resource at specific problems. I think it also helps if you're obsessed with 'catching-up' as it's a great people motivator.

On the subject of base oils, I once played around with with some Group II stocks from Formosa Plastics (think these originated from Taiwan). Stonking good they were! Probably the best Group IIs you could possibly make before crossing over into Group III territory.

Working in metallurgical analysis, some Chinese steels have been very good while others have been shockingly bad. Once a pressure vessel exploded and I was asked to look into the steels used. The bolts clearly specified as 316, and marked as 316 stainless steel, were in fact absolute rubbish steel. They contained no chromium as 316 should and had way too much manganese in them. The bolt markings and the bolt analysis were so far apart that it wasn't just bad quality control, it was complete fraud. It could have cost a life but luckily nobody was near when the failure happened.

I'm sure the original bolts sent for inspection to win the contract were perfect and of the correct alloy.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Working in metallurgical analysis, some Chinese steels have been very good while others have been shockingly bad. Once a pressure vessel exploded and I was asked to look into the steels used. The bolts clearly specified as 316, and marked as 316 stainless steel, were in fact absolute rubbish steel. They contained no chromium as 316 should and had way too much manganese in them. The bolt markings and the bolt analysis were so far apart that it wasn't just bad quality control, it was complete fraud. It could have cost a life but luckily nobody was near when the failure happened.

I'm sure the original bolts sent for inspection to win the contract were perfect and of the correct alloy.

*I had several close relatives that worked at Avondale Shipyard in LA. They had the U.S. Navy Contracts. Relatives stated that the shipyard used substandard bolts and painted them to look stainless steel. You would think that our children in uniform get the best. They get the lowest bidder! If you complained, you were fired. The inspectors knew what was taking place and were paid to keep quiet. Very very sad.......

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: Pajero
Originally Posted By: SR5

*I had several close relatives that worked at Avondale Shipyard in LA. They had the U.S. Navy Contracts. Relatives stated that the shipyard used substandard bolts and painted them to look stainless steel. You would think that our children in uniform get the best. They get the lowest bidder! If you complained, you were fired. The inspectors knew what was taking place and were paid to keep quiet. Very very sad.......

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Not to be picky but I think it would be quite difficult to paint substandard bolts to look like stainless steel. I dunno how you would do it, but if it could be done, I'd think it would probably be more trouble and expense than using stainless bolts.

If the stainless bolts were meant to be painted so you couldn't in fact see what they looked like, thats different.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ducked
crazy2.gif
yourself

My "CNPC is the mainland China equivalent. No experience with their stuff and don't want any." was political predjudice and nothing to do with their oil quality, which is probably fine.

Likewise the CPC stuff here seems to be fine, but there are quite a lot of unknown private labels here (don't know if that applies to mainland China but I'd doubt it) that I'd have reservations about.

Might be changing. I was in Carrefour, a French supermarket chain big in Taiwan, where I usually buy my oil, and all the unknown brands had disappeared. Nearly all big name foreign stuff, with CPC the only local label, (and the only one to still be offering SJ, so the only one I would buy).

This probably reflects the pro-foreign bias of the local consumer, but won't necessarily reflect the total market. This oil would be for top-up only since very few Taiwanese will do thier own oil changes. Bulk sales to garages, fleets and farmers are probably CPC's main market, but (apart from CPC filling stations) I dunno where that stuff is sold.

I'll try RT-MART next time I'm in town. They might have a more oddball selection.

The problem I see is
1. Not readily available is smaller quantities here in the USA.
2. Many of the claimed API classifications are older
3. I do not see API approved with the API donut, only claims to meet.

So ... not sure why to even bother because of all the above.

Originally Posted By: Silk
We get Sinopec here, it doesn't say made in China, I think it's Indonesian.

Amazon also sells Sinopec in bulk(205L drum) quanitities as well in the US.

Some shops here use Amtecol - claims they are American-made but the packaging screams Chinese to me.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy

2. Many of the claimed API classifications are older

You say that like its a BAD thing?

Originally Posted By: alarmguy

3. I do not see API approved with the API donut, only claims to meet.

That's all I see on any of the Mobil oil I have. I'm using Delvac MX 15W40 at the moment and it carries no API certification mark. I'll have to check but I think it might be general.

Of course I'm not "here in the US". Some people aren't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back