oil change today for the Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the oil today in the Accord. 2009 4-door LX 5-speed sedan.

Out went a mix of 0W-20 and 5W-30 NAPA Synthetic and a Wix 57356.

In went 5W-30 Valvoline Full Synthetic with Maxlife Tech. Or the old MaxLife Synpower whatever and a Fram Ultra XG7317.

Car runs as it should. Never used MaxLife or Synthetic MaxLife oil before, only the ATF. The oil stinks as much as the trans fluid does.

That is all.

Last edited:
WHAT (horrified), you didn't rotate the tires, clean and lube the glide pins, test the coolant, load test the battery and clean the posts, empty the ashtray, change the pollen filter, oil the radio antenna, lube the door locks, check the bulbs, whisk the headliner, check the spare......

What do you think we're running here?

Originally Posted By: redhat
Car runs as it should. Never used MaxLife or Synthetic MaxLife oil before, only the ATF. The oil stinks as much as the trans fluid does.

The ATF smells much more strongly than the oil - especially the used ATF - it stinks to high heavens.

Originally Posted By: Kira
WHAT (horrified), you didn't rotate the tires, clean and lube the glide pins, test the coolant, load test the battery and clean the posts, empty the ashtray, change the pollen filter, oil the radio antenna, lube the door locks, check the bulbs, whisk the headliner, check the spare......

What do you think we're running here?

I didn't know about oiling the antenna. Oh no,......lol

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Does the 5W30 bog it down at all vs the spec 5W20?

No not at all. And I honestly cannot tell any fuel economy differences. FWIW, about a year ago I had also been running Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 and 0W-40 with absolutely no ill effects. I stopped using that for the sole fact it has gotten increasingly expensive and only comes in gallons.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Seem to remember the OP lives near buffalo.

He should be lauded for his courage to do ANY maintenance this 3-feb.

It is a touch cold out there, fortunately I had a warm garage. But melting snow and ice is still annoying.

Originally Posted By: AntiMatic
Have the same car as you, as an LX-P. Really like it: 16k miles. I need to drive it more.

Yes, to be completely honest, they are very nice cars. They're really getting to the point where they're common on a lot of used car lots... and I think they're probably to the point of being some people's first cars. Really over the course of ~140k miles, the car has been nothing but reliable and has only had stupid maintenance or VERY preemptive maintenance items serviced.

At this point this car owes me nothing, fully paid off, and has been beaten on daily. If a motor goes, i'll rebuild or throw a junkyard motor in. Even if I do get another car as I've talked, I'll probably keep this one around as a backup or just to keep it and put around on the weekend. Someone once said, there's never a time where you don't have room for an older Honda Accord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back