Toyota 2GR-FSE - Conventional oil only?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In older Toyotas/Lexus that was the case, but now, for the most part, I believe they are 12 months/10,000 miles with a 0w20 (syn/snyblend).

I'd not put too much stock in what a dealer said, I'd go with the manual's recommendations, fwiw.

Toyota doesn't have data to support extended oci in these engines. So, there is no benefit to use synthetic.

I would still use synthetic oil esp where it gets cold like Albany.

Had a 84 tercel back in the early 90s and it fired right up in Canadian winters with Castrol synthetic back then.

Originally Posted By: JC1

Had a 84 tercel back in the early 90s and it fired right up in Canadian winters with Castrol synthetic back then.

My condolences on owning the Tercel in the 80s/90s.

Millions of vehicles on the road with well over 200K running just fine with straight dino oil and OCI's of 5 to 7.5 k. No issues with it whatsoever. Still for those who sleep better by using synthetics .. it wont hurt anything.

Originally Posted By: HondaBroMike

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
In which Lexus?

11 GS 350. A Lexus place said said buy a name brand CONVENTIONAL oil if you DIY. They use either Toyota or Regular Mobil oil

Leo99 is right on here with this.

I run a synthetic blend in my lady's Camry with the same motor. Motorcraft 5w30 ran very well in it. Which is a synthetic blend obviously. I would recommend using Motorcraft 5w30.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Originally Posted By: HondaBroMike

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

crackmeup2.gif
Oh man!
Very eco-friendly cars though- could technically be classified biodegradable in Canada
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Toyota doesn't have data to support extended oci in these engines. So, there is no benefit to use synthetic.

+2
Yes! The maintenance book shows some engines they mAke are approved for
10k oil changes and some are NOT. Thus with such short intervals to keep
Maintenance costs down synthetic is not needed...but may be used,
However going longer than 5k is not recommended with any type.
Use whatever you like but dont take it too long

I ran Only the Ford Motorcraft Sys Blend 5w-20 in my 02 Lincoln LS V8 Sport to Date with 3-4k oil changes of the last 2-3 years. Before that I ran 7.5k oil changes with the Motorcraft filter. Auto Zone and Advanced normally have it on sale for $24 including oil and Ford Filter. To date I have 258k mile on the car with never any engine issues.

I sometimes run it in a 230k Honda Civic EX coupe also, some laff about the Ford oil in the Civic. I laff back. The Civic calls for a 5w-20 Sys blend also.

I have now switched over to the PP 5w-20 Full in the Civic and 0w20 Dex in my 13 Lexus ES350 UL. Only because of the feeling that the PP has good cleaning ability. But I Won't switch the 258k Lincoln LS v8 from the Ford Sys 5w-20 Blend. Need I say........ I like that Ford 5-20 Sys Blend oil alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back