Fram TG4967 10,100 miles VNG syn 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
b87qtj.jpg

Here is the Tough Guard off my brother's '07 Corolla-it was used for roughly 6 months, including some of the colder winter weather we've had around here for a while. Held up well, pleats a little funky by the seam, rest of it was perfect. Went with PP 5W30 and gambled with an older gold Pure One PL14477 from the stash.

Thank you for sharing. Last year I ran a TG4967 15k miles which included some winter months. Nice to see.

Interesting! I wonder whether the Chinese TG10358 in my car now is buckling like that. The Denso and the Purolator that preceded it both came out looking good.

The only real way to know it to cut it open and look.

Mine always come out looking good I think because my engine is not making too much dirt and my OCI/FCI is shorter.

Everyone’s circumstance is a little different.

No.

1. Moisture
2. Length of service
3. Fuel dilution
4. Pleat spacing
5. DP across the filter element
6. Amount of dirt the engine produces

Combine these and you get wavy pleats. On some makes and models with weak brittle media you get media tears.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
5. DP across the filter element
6. Amount of dirt the engine produces

Combine these and you get wavy pleats. On some makes and models with weak brittle media you get media tears.
7. Level of force clamping the ends of the media assembly, applied by other components
8. Material and dimensions of media structure

Your #6 shouldn't matter unless it is so extreme that #5 becomes excessive.

Now I see this was a spin-on, so my previous comment may not apply. (Too late to edit.)

Yes.

Some fail very quickly. So probably just weak brittle media.

FL500S with a tear

It is somewhat rare to find a Fram Oil Filter with a tear.

We don’t see as many Purolator filters with tears because BITOG users avoid them.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
How do you cause a tear in the pleats? Do you use a knife to cut it, push hard on it with your finger, ???????
36.gif

In Soviet Russia, filter made by Purolator tear itself...

This is a filter that I pushed on with my finger:
full-4879-10873-7.jpg

and this it what a Puro made filter looks like all on it's own:
full-4879-7369-12.jpg

Originally Posted By: blupupher
How do you cause a tear in the pleats? Do you use a knife to cut it, push hard on it with your finger, ???????
36.gif

full-4879-10873-7.jpg

full-4879-7369-12.jpg

Those Russians need to practice better QC!

They gotta put down the Vodka bottle first ...
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: CR94
Interesting! I wonder whether the Chinese TG10358 in my car now is buckling like that. The Denso and the Purolator that preceded it both came out looking good.

Denso is building a factory in China! Be warned.....

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

They gotta put down the Vodka bottle first ...
lol.gif

That's about as funny as a submarine with a screen door!
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I wonder if wavy media and media buckling is the result of the filter being cut open?
No, I think there was somewhat poor pleat spacing by the seam, allowing the end caps to be pushed in and resulting waviness. My brother drives almost all highway, between work & twice a month runs of 80 miles out & back east (Peebles) to pick up & drop off his son. I'm eventually going to switch him to Ultras once the stash of oddball filters runs out, then he can probably go 15K on M1 EP (or AP, if he wants to pay for it!). My filter cutter has a brand new cutter wheel on it, it goes through Frams like butter!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: blupupher
36.gif

full-4879-10873-7.jpg

full-4879-7369-12.jpg

Ah, the Puro Classic "media"! I think one could almost look at it wrong and it would tear!

I'd just like to note again that when I cut open EG and TG filters, it takes some serious effort to tear either the media or fiber end cap. Had to use pliers to rip the last one I did.

That filter looks ugly, but I bet it did its job.

I would consider that appearance unacceptable on a premium filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back