A Question of Principles and Integrity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shannow's recent thread "Integrity is what you do when no-one's watching" has me thinking about a current workplace situation I am debating. A month ago I was called to assist an emergency in a different work unit using my time and specialized equipment. In the past decade, our institution operating mode has moved from "we scratch each others backs" to more of a track time and charge expenses for services. I.E., rob Peter to pay Paul in my old timers opinion. We still do stuff for each other under the table, but not nearly as much.

I did the work with no expectation of compensation to my work unit, and they acknowledge awareness of that. No equipment wear/tear - just my time. A month later I received an email offering $500 moved to my account in exchange for my efforts. Remember, this is all monopoly money moving between unit accounts in a large institution.

Immediately after the work was completed, I talked to the other manager and we agreed "it takes a village to raise a child".

What do I do? Reject the money to demonstrate my integrity and principles? Accept the money graciously, acknowledging that they appreciate me?

Take it, if you don't it's like waving people through a red light when you have the right of way. If they didnt already offer you could bank it as a future favor, all good either way.

I read the OP. I read the responses. In deference to our ability to think, I believe there isn't enough info or depth of familiarity to address let alone answer the question.

Nothing snotty here but "scratch each other's back" and "Monopoly money" and "work units" are all vague terms at best.

Why didn't the other unit send "notice of payment" (see, another vague term) to the lady at the desk who works these matters?

You can see where I'm coming from, can't you?

I refer you to a bitter memory from working within a big, multi unit (WHATever) company.
It was when some stupid retard was able to scold me for "changing things".
Believe me, it was no big deal but when a group within a group decides it's time to make a mountain out of a mole hill YOU WON'T GET A TRIAL.
...and you know what I'm talking about.

As usual, if I misinterpreted anything and got it "all wrong", please forgive me.

Good will is far more valuable than money, even in an time-and-materials environment. If it's interdepartmental funds transfer, check with the manager (by phone, not email) and find out why they're doing it. There may be a reason that's important to them that they've made the offer, and they may be better off if you say yes. If it was just a good-will gesture, then honor your commitment to doing it pro-bono and decline the money.

If it won't come back to bite you later somehow, I'd probably take it. They probably recognize you did it and offered anyway - no harm in accepting. If they wind up holding it against you for accepting that's their problem.

I agree with Kira. I'm not getting enough sense of the atmosphere, politics, and logistics to make a call one way or another.

My seriously uneducated opinion is that is this is a professional gratitude that if going into your department budget, then graciously accept. But that's me telling you it's safe to swim without ever swam at your beach.......from the top of a desert dune 1000 miles away......based entirely on a brief description of conditions......in writing.

Thanks, gentlemen. Kira, I appreciate your openness and you are correct that it is very difficult to express the nuances of the situation (thanks for reminding me). I won't go into details, but it is a very large institution and all the associated bureaucracy. Our "scratch each others back" is not illegal in nature, but often a work around to get thing done efficiently between smaller working units within the institution. We do the required "by the book" way most of the time, but we have each others back when it matters.

jaj, thank you for bringing up the good will aspect. We have self imposed limits and tend not to abuse each others already established good will. I don't believe that there are any "read between lines" reasons regarding possible manipulation by either party.

At this time, I'm swayed towards thanking them for the offer, but decline it. If they come back and say something to the effect that they are trying to maintain transparency to actual maintenance costs of the unit I assisted and they insist at being "charged", then I will oblige.

Thanks for helping me sort this out. Have a good weekend!

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad

If it's money moved to your company unit's budget, you should accept the offer.

Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back