The old school green stuff - where to get cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

I use the old school green coolant in my Chevy (1985 SBC [aluminum intake] with an original 1950 radiator). No matter what I do it pools on the intake manifold. I’ve replaced the neck/gasket... whatever I am over it. It’s all getting torn apart again soon anyway. BUT I went to get the very inexpensive green “ADD water” stuff at Walmart, the only have “universal.” Disappeared from DG too. any idea where I can get to old school green cheap?

If not, what’s the next best solution? With my ‘09 Honda and ‘02 Lexus I ONLY use the factory stuff even if from an aftermarket source. Never universal

Thanks

I have 3 in the town we shop in! Perfect I’ll try that. Thanks!

Is the old green Etheline glycol ?

Napa and Autozone carry the old green coolant
smile.gif

Depends on who carries it in your area, but for me:
-NAPA carries their house brand. (ask for part # 1GAL)
-Runnings (farm store) frequently advertises the Durex brand on sale.
-Menards carries their house brand.

Pretty sure that Pepboys still carries the 3 year green silicated coolant concentrate. If not there, try truck stops or agricultural stores.

Thanks all. There is one at Walmart that says “must be diluted” but it doesn’t flat out say that it’s old school green. $13 isn’t but just a shame it’s not $9 at Wally World as that’s quite convenient and cheap.

As some have mentioned, Zerex can be had cheap. See plenty of it around my area, a bonus.

Bad experience with AMAM?

My experirnce with it has been good, but I always make sure to do a few full flushes before seitching. I've been running AMAM in our '94 Cherokee and '97 Corolla for about 5-6 years. So that stuff has apparently not been affecting the iron, aluminum and plastic in either vehicle. The Corolla has 78k on AMAM and the stuff still looks clear and green. Best part is I can find it at almost every store for a decent price if ever there is an emergency.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Pretty sure that Pepboys still carries the 3 year green silicated coolant concentrate. If not there, try truck stops or agricultural stores.

Yup these guys.

"Recochem" is a company/ blender that seems to offer the old silicated stuff. "Turbo Power" is another name it's sold under.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Whatever you do, make sure it's not All Makes All Models green coolant

Why, what is that stuff?

I guess in a complete flush like that it could work, but autozone and advance sell legit manufacturer specific formulas. Blew a hose clamp (yes! Sucked) on my old 3.3L Toyota. Walked to aurozone. $19 for a gallon of the Toyota red from a different manufacturer.

For my old Chevy, the green is just cheap and works

Yes curious to know what AMAM is

Btw I have nothing to base that on other than using the OEM is what I have done/known... 76 k on on the stuff does say a great deal

1) Is the "old green" still available? I remember near-florescent, insanely bright, electric green ethylene glycol coolant.
"Green" today seems plain, clear imitation green

2) Nobody will answer the "AMAM question" because nobody can freely recall the chemicals which AMAMs do not have.

ERGO, one answer to "Why is AMAM bad?" is that it is incomplete.

Hugs and kisses, Kira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back