blown hg; options

Status
Not open for further replies.
So many negative Nancy's around here! It's a 2.2 Toyota guys!

Pull the head, have it decked and a valve job done, throw a new thermostat in it and call it good!

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
I will run a compression test later; and send the head to the shop; or consider a rebuild. probably do that myself. unless someone can recommend a Jasper..... (sorry; twisted humor on my part)

Good game plan on doing the compression test first. Then you can do it again after the new head gasket to check the difference.

I have done a lot of research on this topic because I own a 5SFE. You can get a rebuilt head from Dover http://www.doverusa.com/ probably for a not much more than having a local shop go through yours and replacing the valve guide seals. They seem to have a good reputation.

The part of the job that may be the headache is getting the intake manifold off even though it's only 6 (hard to get at) bolts and 2 nuts on the outer end.

Originally Posted By: 14Accent
So many negative Nancy's around here! It's a 2.2 Toyota guys!

Pull the head, have it decked and a valve job done, throw a new thermostat in it and call it good!
every time we do that where I work we lose.

If I wanted to run the vehicle another 100k+ miles, I would consider a crate engine that matches with the vehicle.

If I wanted to fix it to trade it in, I would repair the head and call it good.

Last edited:
I'm with the JDM replacement crowd.
You're going to have a fair amount of money and time in just doing the head.
Why not just buy a 30Kish used engine for not a whole lot more money or time and be done with it?

Originally Posted By: car51
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Do you know where in the Midwest you're located?

Yeah..... CHICAGO ILLINOIS

Yeah.....HE UPDATED HIS LOCATION. It used to say something else.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back