The Idiots Will Not Slow Down!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.cp24.com/news/fatal-qew-crash-may-have-been-caused-by-road-rage-opp-1.3779062

One passenger dead, another critically injured. If the drivers had left enough space between themselves and the car in front, they would have been able to safely slow down but, of course they did not. Every driver in that group of five, except possibly the lead one, did not leave adequate space.

Nine out of ten vehicles I see on the highway are too close to the vehicle ahead of them. When are they going to learn to not tailgate?

The biggest culprit in the incident is of course the brake checking driver. He (it is almost always a he) is trying to impose his version of the rules of the road on everyone else. There are quite a few of these idiots on the road.

It's simple: MOVE OVER. If people didn't act so self-righteous in the left lane, a ton of road rage and traffic issues would be mitigated.

One of my least favorite hwys to drive. They fly on that stretch from Niagara Falls to Toronto. Seems very unsafe. Maybe if it were patrolled better drivers would start slowing down.

Am I reading it correctly that there was a slowpoke in the left lane everyone was stacked up behind that caused all the rage?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
One of my least favorite hwys to drive. They fly on that stretch from Niagara Falls to Toronto. Seems very unsafe. Maybe if it were patrolled better drivers would start slowing down.

Exactly better patrols and more enforcement of not hogging the left lane. Toronto is too congested and has too many idiot drivers these days.

This will only get worse as time goes on.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Am I reading it correctly that there was a slowpoke in the left lane everyone was stacked up behind that caused all the rage?

"He urged the driver to get a lawyer and contact police"

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
It's simple: MOVE OVER. If people didn't act so self-righteous in the left lane, a ton of road rage and traffic issues would be mitigated.

Move over or drive fast. I tailgate people constantly on normal roads because they will do the speed limit in the left lane during rush hour or two cars on a two lane road doing the exact same speed, or positioned in a way to make it impossible to get around them. I start yelling "DRAG RACE!!!" in my car when I see that to help deal with the stress. Brake checking should be an automatic license suspension though, there is absolutely no reason to do that other than cause an accident.

The real reason, is that Toronto is a city that thinks if it builds enough street cars and bike lanes, traffic problems will be solved. Those bike lanes on woodbine are completely nonsensical.

Something to consider, our roads are often chock-a-block full and over capacity. The fact that traffic still moves at high speed is due to people accepting the risk of following too close for adequate safety. By leaving more room, capacity is significantly diminished and traffic rapidly backs up. It results in a form of hysteresis that can be easily seen from the air, while flying over congested highways.

We have a culture of motoring in this country, and many of us have simply said, "well if he would just GO, traffic would move" and it's 100% true. But we need to remember the risk and occasional terrible results of fast, closely spaced traffic.

It's simple: MOVE OVER.

^^This.

It's the creepers that cause accidents,not the speeders. If you want to creep,stay in the right lane. Impeding the flow of traffic is what causes accidents. Traffic always flows perfectly until a creeper disrupts the flow.

People tailgate in the left lane because it takes minutes to "earn" that spot. When the guy in the left is going 66 passing two other lanes going 65 it starts a very long queue.

Since those following in the middle/right lane don't always notice the blockage until they're on top of it they'll try to daringly dart into a tiny gap in the left traffic. Those a few cars back in the left lane see the darting over and frustration and avow that it won't be them getting cut off.

This would of course be fixed by getting rid of the left lane blocker through citations and/or continuing education. and beatings

Great post George.

People act like they are at Talladega out there. I get where I'm going. But I very, very, very rarely follow anyone close. I usually leave 2.5 seconds between me and the car in front of me going 78-79 mph. And I have performance brakes on my car as well.

It works both ways. Speed limit is the max speed for the road. If people weren't so self-centered, thinking their gear, skills, time, etc was worth more and that they somehow deserved to break the law and push others who are not inclined, things would also be better.

At the same time, if there is opportunity to leave a passing lane open, it absolutely must. My comments don't imply to allow for vigilante speed monitors.

And to move into the lane and brake check is horrid. There's no excuse if the idiot was tailgating in the lane you were traveling in consistently. But to move over and do it - well let's hope the driver that did that is found and the book thrown at them.

Yet again why I like MTs. You have to appreciate physics and mechanical systems a lot more. Idiots mashing the go pedal thinking they deserve to drive faster than the law states endanger people too. Sure it may not matter when you're cruising in high gear, but I see a lot more idiocy racing to and from red lights, and statistically that's where a lot more incidents happen.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

The truth is yet to be determined, but the linked article stated: "Investigators now believe that prior to this crash taking place, a vehicle similar to a Honda Civic travelling in the middle lane moved in front of traffic travelling in the left lane and slowed down, applied their brakes and did what they call a ‘brake check’” Schmidt said."

In my older years, my need to rush through life has diminished. I choose not to engage in the traffic circus and I drive uber defensively and attempt to avoid the more dangerous scenarios. This means that I generally drive the speed limit or slightly higher in the right lane. I attempt to accommodate the merging traffic safely. I try to stay up with the current traffic speed conditions, but If I am going 78 in the right lane and there are still people impatient to get around me,well, I keep my awareness of the idiots up and try to maintain safety.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

It works both ways. Speed limit is the max speed for the road. If people weren't so self-centered, thinking their gear, skills, time, etc was worth more and that they somehow deserved to break the law and push others who are not inclined, things would also be better.

Yet again why I like MTs. You have to appreciate physics and mechanical systems a lot more. Idiots mashing the go pedal thinking they deserve to drive faster than the law states endanger people too. Sure it may not matter when you're cruising in high gear, but I see a lot more idiocy racing to and from red lights, and statistically that's where a lot more incidents happen.
NOTHING ticks me off more than left lane bandits. If you think that the speed limit is the passing lane limit, you shouldn't be on the interstate. Average speed on I93 is typically 85MPH. The passing lane is the passing lane. Stay out of it. You'll get constant horn and high beam flash from me until you move.

If I was king
smile.gif
there would be a "special" license for approved drivers with approved uprated equipment for interstate fast lane use. This isolated lane would have a MIN speed of 85. If You get "photographed" going under three times you loose you privelige "certificate" for a year.

On another note 37 is the new 30MPH guys - If you drive 30 in a 30 you are likely a Ford or Camry or Tacoma driver.

Last edited:
By me, all three lanes are often clogged with traffic. Sometimes the traffic is moving 50 to 70 MPH mostly all tailgating in all three clogged lanes, sometimes much slower. If you are not tailgating, other drivers are cutting ahead of you to fill up the space.

At odd times, like 2:30AM the traffic thins, and no need to tailgate. It is actually amazing that there aren't a lot more accidents here. Vehicles do have a mandatory safety inspection annually by me, it at least insures that there is tread on the tires and a minimum amount of brake pad left on most vehicles.

I have traveled that stretch of the QEW. You Canadians are funny with your 100KPH speed limits. Mostly by ignoring it. I'm 66 yrs old, my reflexes have eroded. I have gone from driving with elan (hooning) to cruising with traffic gliding along smoothly at a safe following distance. I see stuff far enough ahead so that a little more or less gas handles the situation. I have slowed down not much, just enough. I used to ride right off your rear bumper, confident that I would see what was causing you to brake before you did. For the most part it worked for 50 yrs, not so much anymore
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: maxdustington

Move over or drive fast. I tailgate people constantly on normal roads because they will do the speed limit in the left lane during rush hour or two cars on a two lane road doing the exact same speed, or positioned in a way to make it impossible to get around them. I start yelling "DRAG RACE!!!" in my car when I see that to help deal with the stress.

You are the poster child of inconsiderate, selfish drivers that cause these problems. You are not more important than anyone else.

I think “limit” is a word few people understand behind the wheel.

[*]noun
1. a point or level beyond which something does not or may not extend or pass.
2. a restriction on the size or amount of something permissible or possible.

In our area the left lane is a pay lane. The fees are flexible so during peak rush hour expect to pay a high premium to be in that lane. The effect of this policy is like removing a lane from the freeway. Nobody uses it.

I try to stay out of the left lane-let the crazy folk fly down at 20 or more over, then watch for the speed trap and resulting light show! Our problem here is a near total lack of enforcement-unless it's a holiday weekend. Last Memorial Day I literally saw THREE lunatics get nailed in one day (Friday), and the third one didn't even slow down for the LEO in the median!
crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back