Knocking one's own product

Status
Not open for further replies.

It just seems a bit strange how products seemingly made to look so "inferior" to the higher tier products at times. It really is just weird how these oil companies do that. And they all do it. Yet, the supposedly trailer park, food stamp level "low tier" oils are actually very, very well made in and of themselves and can "over" perform in many applications. I just find this a bit odd how they perceive their own oils they make.

Of course, they are just trying to push the "higher" level oils to us. Which is certainly their job to do. And I like them a lot as well. No doubt. But even the trailer park oils made by Valvoline, Mobil Super, Castrol and Pennzoil are very, very good as well.

Hope you guys have a good day today. And if you haven't seen or called your mom lately... Do so.

Last edited:
Didn't XOM do somewhat of the same thing on the back of their bottles?

They're a bit odd because they have Mobil Super Synthetic on top of Mobil 1.. I'd argue both are identical in serviceability.

Last edited:
Continuing with Valvoline's chart, it indicates difference in wear protection the higher the price. Pennzoil's doesn't make that claim...

I should also add that Valvoline must be better since some of their oils have a 4 star rating while Pennzoil only has 3 star oils.

25% better!

It's marketing to the masses. If Pennzoil were to advertise that PYB is perfectly fine for 95% of cars under 95% of conditions on 5K OCIs nobody but oil nerds and "nothing but the best" people would buy anything else.

I did note that "they all did it" in my opening post. Yeah I saw the Pennzoil version a good while ago. Goofy in a way still. Thanks for adding the Pennzoil example.

Very good second post there skyactiv. That was funny
lol.gif

Last edited:
Good observations Wemay. I think the "better" wear protection with Valvoline higher end oils is the longevity aspect. But it could be taken a different way as well.

True demarpaint. However it just seems a bit over done to me...

Here's the way that tier system looks to my eye...

Single wide trailer... Good

Cracker jack built track home... Better

Custom built high end gated community... Best

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
True demarpaint. However it just seems a bit over done to me...

Here's the way that tier system looks to my eye...

Single wide trailer... Good

Cracker jack built track home... Better

Custom built high end gated community... Best

It seems some of the oil companies get a little carried away with their advertising and claims. But hey after all this is Bitog..........

Spot on about what you said earlier about mom's. They're sometimes taken for granted, and you realize that when they're gone.

I sure miss the 60s, many oils were only maybe 75 cents a quart...but 6 bucks a quart today is probably a good buy these days..Pennzoil was cheap once.

Yeah, I agree. I thought the same when looking at the MS5K label. Also... the FullSyn Maxlife can't possibly be four times better...in any possible way! I'm thinking there are incremental increases in performance of maybe 20-30%. Of course the synthetics are "better" objectively in some ways, but there has to be a "good enough" which for many people is the PYB/VWB/MS5K. But it still feels strange picking a "one star" oil!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Classic good, better, best advertising.

Exactly.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
I sure miss the 60s, many oils were only maybe 75 cents a quart...but 6 bucks a quart today is probably a good buy these days..Pennzoil was cheap once.

You can get Harvest King conventional oil for $6/ 5qt jug around here.

Harvest King Full synthetic Dexos rated is $10 for 5 quarts. Can't beat that.

Trailer park= good

Cracker jack house= better

Custom built home= best

It just seems to be far too big of a gap they portray better their "good" and "best" oils. That's what I find a bit funny, odd and kind over done.

There's a tire store around here that rates their tires on snow traction, long life etc and about the minimum score is 7/10 which falls on UHP summer tires in an ice storm, LOL.

Dig up an old Gilette razor ad on youtube when they just invented the two-blade system that works perfectly per the little cartoon illustration. Then they come up with three blades, and somehow the two-blades are just for hobos now.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
You can get Harvest King conventional oil for $6/ 5qt jug around here.

Recently found out that it's a synthetic-blend oil, even better!

Fear will motivate a large percentage of buyers. The ratings will get a certain percentage of buyers to buy the most expensive product.

The Bitog faithful will buy the higher priced/better quality products when they are on sale or clearance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back