13 ram 4.7 Amsoil 5w30 22,000 oci

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like this truck is impossible to get a decent sample from.
It tows heavy and has a 4" lift kit and larger tires so I don't know if there is anything I can do, the little 4.7 might just be over worked.
Could this engine just be full of sludge?

Last edited:
Interesting. Our 3.7 Jeep (6 cyl version of your 4.7) shows high iron, too, but runs just fine.

What’s the backstory with the 55 silicon? That level if coming from an air filtration issue could definitely cause higher wear numbers.

Originally Posted By: DustinC
It tows heavy and has a 4" lift kit and larger tires so I don't know if there is anything I can do, the little 4.7 might just be over worked.

Just for S&G try an A3/B4 oil next time.

Back story on the engine is it always got changed at quick lubes with Chinese filters and long oci, I was hoping some of the wear was from the oil cleaning the old sludge even after a 3200km oci the oil had high oxidation numbers
The 22,000 oci interval should be doable because it's still under the oils severe service recommend oci

Originally Posted By: msmoke00
What’s the backstory with the 55 silicon? That level if coming from an air filtration issue could definitely cause higher wear numbers.

Cracked evap line it's been repaired and the past 3 oci the trucks been in 100% shape

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
22,000 oci with loads on the engine....there’s your problem.

Agreed. Towing is considered SEVERE duty and should not be a candidate for extended OCIs, regardless of what the oil manufacturer says (unless they give you a written warranty)

I'm sure this engine will be just fine though. Will probably smoke and burn oil worse then a similar one but with 10k OCIs for example.

Converting to miles (kms in the report as shown) ...

- the most recent was only about 5.3k miles; with 93ppm Fe. We rate of 18ppm/1k miles.
- next down was 6k miles; 88ppm Fe. Wear rate of 15ppm/1k miles.
- next before that was 2k miles; 38ppm Fe. Wear rate of 19ppm/1k miles.
- the "22,000" OCI was actually 4 UOAs ago, and is akin to 14k miles with 200ppm Fe. Wear rate of 14ppm/1k miles.

I'm not a fan of having Fe above 100ppm in any OCI, but ironically it gave you the lowest wear rate. The wear rates are fairly consistent (pretty darn high).
This looks like a combination of Si and hard use. You had an air intake issue, and it may be continuing, or residual Si is still doing it's work.
The long OCI could possibly have been to blame, but the three most recent UOAs are short, and yet wear is still high.
It looks like you're averaging about 4k miles a month; that's a lot. Also, seems to be a UOA/OCI missing in there? The vehicle miles versus the UOA miles don't match up for the first one.

And here I thought PAOs were the magical fluid and would stop all wear across the planet ... that's what most BITOGers want me to believe.
You might want to consider, if you're willing to experiment, trying a dino 15w-40 or 10w-30 HDEO and see what happens. I doubt the wear can get much higher, and it would save you some money.

Last edited:
The missing UOA is because I sampled the oil then changed after I received the terrible results, next oil change will be 5w30 HDEO (amsoil Max duty diesel) and then in april I will probably try some bulk 5w40 HDEO its just -40 here lately so I would like to stick with a thinner oil until it warms up.

How heavy are you towing on such a small engine? Like others have stated you may be overworking the little 4.7 and the SI is probably giving you some custom work

Last edited:
truck is 100% stock
trailer is around 7000 lbs, gets ran threw deep mud, it sure sucks back fuel fast towing
5000oci is not possible since this truck never stops and that would be every week
i wish it was a hemi but its sadly not... hopefully it makes it to 450,000km before it blows

Originally Posted By: DustinC
Could this engine just be full of sludge?

Am I wrong, or does this say that the 22,000km OCI is 0w-20, and not 5W-30? 5W-30 might help.

Also, trying to figure out the effect of larger tires. That would mean odometer was off, showing less km driven than it would with tires odometer was calibrated for, right? But not sure if that means more work for the engine, or less??
confused2.gif

As stated above, your ppm/km is actually consistent, so maybe not a problem.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back