Amsoil Signature 0W-20, 2015 Tacoma, 10.3K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you running the same filter during that interval? I’m planning to run this oil in my 15 as well but with factory filter changes every 5K with top off.

Originally Posted By: btanchors
My plan is to just run another 10K and check then. I do have an extended warranty on this vehicle, which is good for 8 years and 125K miles, so I should be covered if a real problem develops. Comments?

You probably lost coverage by extending the oil change intervals from 5k to 10k. I'm sure there's a reason Toyota specs a 5k interval while most of their other cars have a 10k oci. Good luck!

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
However, I am not sure you should be playing 10k OCI roulette's with this engine.

Doesn't Toyota call for 10k intervals if you're using synthetic? I'm not overly familiar but my neighbor is running 10k intervals on his 4Runner as specified by Toyota?

Last edited:
OK all, let me tell you my perspective on the oil change interval specified by Toyota for the 2015 Tacoma.

The model discussed in this UOA is a 2015 Toyota Tacoma V6. This is the last model year this specific engine was offered - the truck underwent a total redesign for the 2016 model year.

The engine in this truck reflects a design that is over 10 years old - the engine in this instance reflects an unchanged design dating back to the 2005 model year.

Back when this engine was designed, nearly all of Toyota's engines specified 5W-30, and a 5,000 mile OCI. Since that time, nearly all of Toyota and Lexus's new designs specify a 10,000 mile interval, and 0W-20 oil, and a cartridge oil filter instead of spin-on.

The point I am trying to make is that I believe the 5,000 mile OCI specified by Toyota, together with the 5W-30 viscosity, was more a reflection of Toyota's philosophy and practices back then. This engine was probably the very last in the entire product line that was redesigned. In other words, Toyota is not specifying a 5K interval with 5W-30 because the engine has "special" requirements; it's simply an older design that reflects the times.

This is one of 4 vehicles in my family "fleet". I am simply trying to do a 10K interval to reduce the number and frequency of oil changes I have to perform.

Very Mild rant: I find it ironic that in many of my other UOAs that I post, I get several posters "complaining" that I waste oil, time and resources by performing oil changes at too short of an interval. Now when I try to extend it out slightly, I'm getting feedback otherwise. I can't win
eek.gif

Seriously, I want and appreciate the feedback. For those of you monitoring this thread, do you really think this UOA, and accompanying trend, is *that* bad? That 10K is way too long of an OCI?

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Looks good to me. I would think 10,000 oci max. .02.

+1. Looks very good to me. For most engines using a quality synthetic like Amsoil, 10K OCIs are really not a problem at all.

For those of you monitoring this thread, do you really think this UOA, and accompanying trend, is *that* bad? That 10K is way too long of an OCI?

Yes but like I've said I see 10k miles as your limit. When oil goes bad, the quality deteriorates quickly. Why be someone who gets uoas and wants to maintain vehicles well if you want to also risk pushing it too far for the sake of 1000 or so miles?

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
For those of you monitoring this thread, do you really think this UOA, and accompanying trend, is *that* bad? That 10K is way too long of an OCI?

Yes but like I've said I see 10k miles as your limit. When oil goes bad, the quality deteriorates quickly. Why be someone who gets uoas and wants to maintain vehicles well if you want to also risk pushing it too far for the sake of 1000 or so miles?

No, your 10k UOA is not bad OP.
Instead I would say it's more than adequate ,if not saying it's good .

The test of the pudding is in the eating , as this UOA demonstrates you have good metal wear rates ...... don't let noises like OM recommendations, engine design features , special this,special that etc confuses you.

The near zero metal ppm wear in lead ,tin,nickel ,chromium ,manganese etc indicates pristine conditions of all plain bearings and cam lobes/followers within .

The aluminum and iron ppm are not very low ,neither are they high /very high ....
but one thing is sure , they are not detrimental .....
more so if there is no indications of blowby and pistons / liner oil consumption phenomenon .
Just my
49.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back