Mainly a American, European, Asian vehicle owner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have owned a few Toyotas, a Opel and a Datsun. But probably 80-90% of my vehicles have been American. How about you?

I have driven domestic "American" vehicles almost exclusively for about 30 years. I'm over it. The car market has become so global there are American brands but not really many American cars anymore. My Lincoln it turns out was made in Mexico and my Jeep in Canada. Meanwhile Camry's, Accords, KIA's, Hyundai's and VW's are being built inside the USA just to name a few.

I still have an aversion to Japanese for a host of reasons but my wife has had a KIA 6 years now and I'll admit while it's not fancy it's a better built vehicle than my domestics have been.

The next vehicle I buy for me is likely to be Korean or a VeeDub.

5 Chrysler products

4 from Ford

3 Jeeps

and a Subaru

Next and hopefully last will be a Toyota 4Runner.

Guess that makes me 85.7% American vehicles. But with the reliability difference between today's Jeeps vs 4Runner....

I used to buy only Gm and Ford from the 80's on. I bought a 2013 elantra, a 2017 elantra for my son, and now a 2017 mazda cx-5. My next truck i will look at the toyota tundra, nissan titan, and i will investigate a work class 2500/f-250 chevy/ford.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
American 100%

I’ll say this … but expect the normal

18.gif

over what is American before this thread dies

Well, if there is one brand of vehicle that I have owned most of it is:
General Motors(7)

Then:
Chrysler(5)
Honda(3)
Toyota(3)
Nissan(2)
Mazda(1)

I think that I have actually forgotten some but, Oh Well!

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
I’m not so much US vs Euro vs Asian, I am more GM and Toyota. I will never buy another Ford

I said the same thing when I bought a new 1987 Ranger 2.3 and it was the biggest pile I ever owned. Not only a bad truck but bad service from Ford. My wife has a 2010 Mustang GT and I have a 2000 Mustang GT and have changed my opinion about Ford. That being said, I still prefer Chrysler and GM products overall.
I try to buy American made domestics when feasible.

My 05 Chevy Avalanche was built in Mexico, Amerexican, my sons 13 Toyota Tundra was built in Texas, Asiamerican...

Buick
Chevrolet
GMC
Pontiac
Nissan
Nissan

In that order.

The GMC and Pontiac were awful. The Buick and Chevrolet were great. Nissans have been excellent.

Last edited:
Going back to 1974, the majority have been European(61%):

BMW(11)
Ford of Germany(1)
Mini(1)
Volvo(1)

American(22%):
Buick(1)
Chevrolet(1)
Ford(2)
Jeep(1)

Japanese(17%):
Mazda(1)
Mitsubishi(1)
Datsun/Nissan(2)

The Buick(Skylark T Type) was owned by my wife when we married.
One Ford(1973 Bronco V8) was inherited from my father.
One BMW(i3) and the Volvo(740 Turbo) were leased.

Before I bought the 2 Series I considered American, European, and Japanese cars. With the exception of an STI, everything I looked at was RWD. Runner-up was a 2015 Mustang GT Premium with the Performance Package.
When the lease ends on the i3 the Clubman will probably be sold and replaced by a CX-3. I'm not planning on replacing the 2er anytime soon, but if I had to I'd be sorely tempted by an Alfa Giulia TI/Quadrifoglio or an M2. Ordering an M240i with sunroof deleted would also be a possibility.

I’ve had a pretty good variety:
4 Chevy
4 Ford
3 Dodge
1 Kia
4 Hyundai
1 Honda
1 Nissan
1 Buick
Looked pretty hard at the Toyota RAV4 when we bought our Santa Fe Sport but went with the Hyundai. Might give Subaru orToyota a try next time around.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I have driven domestic "American" vehicles almost exclusively for about 30 years. I'm over it. The car market has become so global there are American brands but not really many American cars anymore. My Lincoln it turns out was made in Mexico and my Jeep in Canada. Meanwhile Camry's, Accords, KIA's, Hyundai's and VW's are being built inside the USA just to name a few.

I still have an aversion to Japanese for a host of reasons but my wife has had a KIA 6 years now and I'll admit while it's not fancy it's a better built vehicle than my domestics have been.

The next vehicle I buy for me is likely to be Korean or a VeeDub.

You do know Kia isn't Japanese, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back