Drone filming airliner landing gets too close

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drone filming airliner landing gets too close.
mad.gif

How stupid can that idiot be to do something like this, it's only a matter of time before something very bad happens.

https://www.ktnv.com/news/video-shows-drone-coming-close-to-plane-landing-at-mccarran

Pardon my ignorance, but there's no way to find who posted the social media video? Maybe the internet isn't as open as we think?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
How stupid can that idiot be to do something like this, it's only a matter of time before something very bad happens.

Also, x2. This opens up a whole new set of issues too.

They should of required permits for drones. While interesting for the right circumstances, in the hands of the wrong folks its downright dangerous. Anyone caught going near planes with drones should be tossed in jail for a very long time.

Tell me I have this right or not.
They wrote laws making shooting a drone, say, with a shotgun, when it's over your property watching your daughter Sunbathe illegal.

They must have air trafic proximity rules.
I can see maintaining airspace and clearances in a manner consistent with established practice or modified for newer technology.

Most drones have GPS now, and it blocks them from flying near airports. This one was probably modified.

Drones interfering with aircraft operations is not a new issue over the years the fire fighting aircraft are grounded when unauthorized drones are spotted. Basic common sense is lacking. At work we had ramp passes [San Francisco airport] to pretty much go any where vehicles were allowed. Common sense was go only to exactly where you needed to go in a precise and consice route and stay AWAY from the aircraft as we had no business being around aircraft and the ground people would pull away a vehicle we has to work on.

Can't fly a drone without a permit within (I think it's) 8 miles (12 km) of an Airport in Canada. Legally that covers almost the entire city where I live. Same thing within National Park boundaries, except the permits are even harder to obtain there, and you run the risk of a Fish and Wildlife violation ("worrying game").

Even in non-permit situations, there are tight regulations (prohibited at gatherings of groups of people, not sure of the number but a hundred would be no-no, no flying above 2,000 feet, etc). Drones are legally considered aircraft and come under Transport Canada regulations, plus other civil jurisdiction.

The permits are narrow (times, dates, purpose, flight path). Nasty fine if you are caught, nasty fine for the F&W violation (four and five figures) with possible Criminal charges if something happens, with or without the permit.

I have a buddy who does motion and still photography, all kinds all over the world, and there is extensive drone use in that field today. He deals with this kind of stuff on a routine basis, but he tells me it's easier to film almost anywhere compared to Canada although a lot of his work is in remote locations (he does fishing shows) where it's mostly permit-free, but of course he has to check.

I wouldn’t want to be the first one to get caught after their toy went through some airliners turbofan. I used to see the invoices of remanufactured engines coming back from Pratt Whitney. I don’t think I ever saw one much south of a mill. The big ones were all more like 1.5.
I’d be more concerned about tagging a Cessna or othe Bug-Smasher really. It’s entirely possible to actually bring one of them down by hitting something that size.

Originally Posted By: Driz
I wouldn’t want to be the first one to get caught after their toy went through some airliners turbofan. I used to see the invoices of remanufactured engines coming back from Pratt Whitney. I don’t think I ever saw one much south of a mill. The big ones were all more like 1.5.
I’d be more concerned about tagging a Cessna or othe Bug-Smasher really. It’s entirely possible to actually bring one of them down by hitting something that size.

I worked on military and civilian aircraft for 30 years and its very unlikely a small drone will bring down a big aircraft.
But if it go through the jet engines they have to remove that engine and send it for inspection/repair which cost big Dollars.

I once saw a 4 cell flashlight suck through a Fighter jet engine....

Gives everyone who enjoys the hobby and actually gives a poop about safety a bad name. I fly mostly RC planes, some multicopters and helicopters. There are barely any sanctioned fields where I live since everyone is so packed in, so I fly where I can. I am insured, and all my aircraft are registered. Its a great hobby, and theres millions of people who enjoy it, but the few who go for the views and attention will ruin it. No common sense anymore either.

While flying in the company helicopter, I saw an errant RC plane fly West from Jupiter, FL. I tracked it for about 5 minutes. It was at about 200 feet altitude, about 300 feet below us.

The plane had about a 4 foot wingspan, easily visible red color contrasted against the green trees, low wing, with gas engine and visible muffler. It cruised due West and never varied from it's heading or altitude or speed. Seemed to be flying about 80kts, which is at our slow cruise speed.

I lost sight of it as we turned to join the ILS at F45. I suspect these things happen regularly, and are also a significant risk to aviation.

I just got one of those for Christmas . Neat little bugger . Too bad it’s been too nasty out to fly it more than a couple minutes. Strange bird to fly I have to say. I have to say the real thing is a whole lot easier in my opinion. I like the camera , handy for checking things to save getting out a ladder ect.
I wonder how many fools flying these things even begin to appreciate how hard they are to see from a light plane and just how badly those aircraft handle to dodge something ,especially when just poking around at 80 - 85 MPH. It’s bad enough with the big birds that loiter around. You’d think that those birds would run when they see a plane coming right at them thinking it’s a hawk but they don’t. Hawks are the worst I’ve seen. They just don’t care at all. I guess if they have no fear of a plane coming at them they would just view a drone as a snack.
Note to all the drone commandos out there . If you hear a light plane coming along low just drop that pup right down within 2O’ of the tree tops as fast as possible and stay there till it’s gone. Nobody ever flies that close to the trees so it’s the safest place to wait it out. I can only imagine how many close calls there are along beaches like Fla. kids with drones and folks trolling the beach at -500 ‘ it must get dicey at times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back