Bought 2014 Camry and cold start noisy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purchased from Toyota dealerships under certified Toyota which has 12 months or 12k mileage warranty.

I purchased 2014 Toyota Camry SE 2.4l ( I think) with 81,500 miles on January 31th. I did not crank the engine on the February 1st in the cold weather, however I did on February 2nd at 5:40 am and it was making grinding sound which was making loud sound during the cold weather. After 3 minuets I turn it off and ended up taking my Honda van.

Is this normal noise? I have never owned Toyota only Nissan,Acura,Honda, and mecrede (all of these cars did not make noise compare to Toyota was making).

Toyota told me that I can not refund the car. What other option I have if I wanted to return it? Isn’t there a law that we have 30 days to return the car or less?

Upload a video to Youtube and post it here so we can listen to the noise and attempt an answer.
Unless there is something on your paperwork stating a return period, the dealer isn't obligated to take your car back.
Try using the warranty if there is an issue. Making a stink about wanting a refund wont get you very far.

It might be the belt tensioner or something. My '15 Cherokee whistles when it's cold out for a minute or two, it's the tensioner.

I can upload a video in the morning, it only happened when engine is cold plus cold weather.

Start documenting and keep records of everything including video evidence.

If you get push back from the dealer, go to another dealer and then contact Toyota corporate.

You purchased a "certified Toyota" which should have been checked and should be in excellent condition.

Take a close read of the terms and conditions of purchase including certified Toyota terms. If you want to change to a different car, it could be possible.

Son drives a 2014 Camry but never said anything unusual.
His previous Camry on cold morning starts made a weird rattle noise. Turned out the front cat heat shield. After a few minutes or so it would quiet down to no noise. I got in there one morning and when I pressed on the heat shield a certain way the noise immediately stopped.

Maybe I've been driving Toyotas too long because I don't hear any grinding or abnormal noises in that video.

If you think it's sounding abnormal, make an appointment with the service department and have them inspect it.

30 days to return a car? Never heard of that law. I don't think they'd even take it back after 30 seconds unless you wanted to purchase something more expensive.

Ive heard that on occasion, usually only below freezing (very rare down here)
Lasted only a second or so though
How cold was it by the way?

Did you change the oil after you took possession? Just because it came from a Toyota dealership doesn't mean they gave it a proper fluid treatment.

Originally Posted By: Rohan
Isn’t there a law that we have 30 days to return the car or less?

I seriously doubt that, it would be insane. Its a Toyota certified car just take it back and ask them to check it out, its not big deal.
Don't do a nutty on them or you will get the short end of that stick, act like its not a real issue for you (it really shouldn't be) you want it looked at and fixed if necessary.

In the video it sounds like the top end is starved for oil upon startup,like all of the oil had drained down into the pan and none remained in the top end. I wonder if it's low on oil?

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Start documenting and keep records of everything including video evidence.

If you get push back from the dealer, go to another dealer and then contact Toyota corporate.

You purchased a "certified Toyota" which should have been checked and should be in excellent condition.

Take a close read of the terms and conditions of purchase including certified Toyota terms. If you want to change to a different car, it could be possible.

This is good advice. A certified pre owned warranty is a factory warranty, you can take it to any toyota dealer.

Video and audio evidence is key if it only does the noise under certain conditions.

Some states have a 3 day return period on any product built into law. Check into it.

Originally Posted By: Insertcoolname
Ive heard that on occasion, usually only below freezing (very rare down here)
Lasted only a second or so though
How cold was it by the way?

It was between 30-40 degrees.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Maybe I've been driving Toyotas too long because I don't hear any grinding or abnormal noises in that video.

If you think it's sounding abnormal, make an appointment with the service department and have them inspect it.

30 days to return a car? Never heard of that law. I don't think they'd even take it back after 30 seconds unless you wanted to purchase something more expensive.

Yeah they won’t take it back after I leave the dealership and they don’t care about it after we have a issues with the car.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Did you change the oil after you took possession? Just because it came from a Toyota dealership doesn't mean they gave it a proper fluid treatment.

No I did not change the oil because of Toyota toyota certified. They said oil change was changed at 81k mileage before I bought it and they said they do 10k mileage oil change and used synectics oil. Told me to come back after 5k to make sure oil level and tire rotation. I did checked the oil and it was at normal level plus top of that light amber color.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back