AC Delco seem to be missing something...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually buy the AC Delco filters for my cars (457 cartridge), and they always have come with the O ring. But I have now bought 2 filters in a row that do not have that O ring with them anymore...and I am not sure why.

Frams, still come with them, and Wix filters do as well. Just not sure why the suddenly no longer come with them....anyone have this issue?

Not sure which application you filter is but on some, such as my CTS, the OEM O-ring is blue and is safely reused several times. GM sells it seperately. The cheaper black one's you get with oil filters are more of a 1 time use, maybe 2.

Thanks for exposing the "black vs. blue" O ring difference.

My cartridge has always come with an O ring but now I'll keep my eyes open.

I've bought Mahle, Hubble-Mann, WIX and even one Purolater over a 15 year period and there's always been an O ring.

Of course, the day I reuse a blue one I'll freak.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Not sure which application you filter is but on some, such as my CTS, the OEM O-ring is blue and is safely reused several times. GM sells it seperately. The cheaper black one's you get with oil filters are more of a 1 time use, maybe 2.

Mine is for the Cavalier/Cobalt 2.2, and I did not know about the blue O ring....that is good to know!

Are you guys referring to the o-rings seen here in this pic?

I never changed one out on my wife's 2002 Olds Intrigue and it received semi annual oil changes from then until the summer of 2017.
I never had a problem with oil leaks and this cartridge/filter holder/cap was always a bugger to get on and off! (tight!)

The OEM color of O-ring can vary (blue or green), but you can glean that information based off of the ACDelco replacement part.

I have been told the OEM O-rings are good for about 50,000 miles before you have to consider replacing it for thermal fatigue or crush resistance. That may or may not be the truth, but I've followed it and have had zero issues with any vehicle with this type of filter. I'll add that that I've stretched the OEM O-rings to 75,000 miles by being very careful in handling them.

The big o-ring on the Ecotec 2.2/2.4 cap is not supposed to be replaced! Some aftermarket filters some with a new o-ring but the factory one is designed to be reused.

There are three different AC Delco part numbers for the filter.
All of them come with the small o-ring on the filter end that goes into the engine.

Filter Only - PF457G
Filter with Seal (o-ring)- PF457GO
Filter with Cap and Seal (o-ring) - PF458G
Seal Only - 12580255
(At least these are the part #s for a 2008 Cobalt with the 2.2L)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tnt31
There are three different AC Delco part numbers for the filter.
All of them come with the small o-ring on the filter end that goes into the engine.

Filter Only - PF457G
Filter with Seal (o-ring)- PF457GO
Filter with Cap and Seal (o-ring) - PF458G
Seal Only - 12580255
(At least these are the part #s for a 2008 Cobalt with the 2.2L)

Nice!

Yup, I always leave the oem o-ring on my Cavalier filter cap.
The o-rings that come with some of those filters are inferior to the OEM o-ring.
I did change the whole cap with the PF458G assembly at 180k, made me feel better! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back