Bicycle Unlocked

Status
Not open for further replies.
You did (or tried to do) a good thing. many bicycles around here don't get locked up. twice I have found bicycles sitting in my side yard. when I notice them i put them somewhere secure. in both cases we eventually found the owner; in both cases it was irresponsible owners who set the bike down to go play; and didn't come back for days. in one case the kid grabbed his sisters bike; and did not want to fess up when his mom called the police to report it as stolen.

this thread is an interesting case study: around here it is unusual to find someone who cares and tried to help. up by my moms people will bend over backwards to help. once time we just stopped on the side of the road to pick raspberries; three different people stopped to see if we had car trouble. last Labor day we were towing mom's boat to winter storage when the engine in my brothers truck threw a rod. of course this was 11pm on a holiday Sunday night. after spending an hour on the phone with AAA.... there was no sign of getting towing that night. time to abandon. anyway, 15 minutes into our fiasco, someone stopped by to see if they could help. nope. blown engine. they then asked if they could deliver our boat for us instead of leaving it on the side of the road or trying to get a tow truck to take it. uh... ok. he delivered the boat to storage 1 mile down the road. he also offered to take us back 35 miles to mom's house. not needed; we had help on the way.

anyway; just huge cultural differences.

Last edited:
The legal system assumes you're a liar. Once you move that bike you're a thief. You will be judged that way because of all the others that have preceded you. There is no concept of being a "good guy". You may be innocent until proven guilty but you are assumed to be guilty.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
The legal system assumes you're a liar. Once you move that bike you're a thief. You will be judged that way because of all the others that have preceded you. There is no concept of being a "good guy". You may be innocent until proven guilty but you are assumed to be guilty.

Yep. It's amazing how many of those same stories are told when they have a bait car set up. A large number of them just say they're moving it for safety or some other lie, but of course the cops don't believe them because they have video of them licking their chops when they get in the car.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

Can't believe none of them noticed the cable.

Some of those joy riders looked drunk, so not surprised they didn't see the cable.

Even though it's funny to see the bike stealers crash at the end of the bike's leash, the dude that setup the bait bike could have probably been sued for causing injury. Think some of those joy ridets are now singing soprano.
eek.gif

Sounds like you need to be a mall cop and you can be paid for being a watch dog.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Some of those joy riders looked drunk, so not surprised they didn't see the cable.

Even though it's funny to see the bike stealers crash at the end of the bike's leash, the dude that setup the bait bike could have probably been sued for causing injury. Think some of those joy riders are now singing soprano.
eek.gif

Yeah, it was funny but wrong. One guy looked like his head bounced off the sidewalk. May have had a concussion or a head injury. Now they'll walk into the emergency room and said they fell off a bike, but not mention whose bike it was.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Even though it's funny to see the bike stealers crash at the end of the bike's leash, the dude that setup the bait bike could have probably been sued for causing injury. Think some of those joy riders are now singing soprano.
eek.gif

Yeah, it was funny but wrong. One guy looked like his head bounced off the sidewalk. May have had a concussion or a head injury. Now they'll walk into the emergency room and said they fell off a bike, but not mention whose bike it was.

The way they looked around before taking the bike, It wasn't the first time......

I keep my old bike unlocked so if people like you move it I can get a new bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back