Milkhouse heaters settings

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of these questions that sometimes pop up in my mind. While the answer isn't really important, it bugs me as to why it is this way.

Most utility heaters have two settings : 750W and 1500W. That makes sense. Using the lower settings allows to use some other equipment on the same circuit without tripping the breaker while the highest setting heats up more but uses almost all of a standard 15A breaker capacity.

There is however a utility heater model made by various manufacturers called a "Milkhouse Heater". It also has two setting : 1300W and 1500W. That's not much of a difference in both power draw and heat output.

Anybody knows why this model has two settings so close to one another instead of a single set power ?

I always figured that the 1300w setting was just to give you the opportunity to give you a little more leeway on a 15a circuit

Maybe so you can plug a lamp in the same outlet,
and keep a eye on that heater and outlet at the same time...
grin.gif
27.gif

actually have 2 in my garage that I use , nice little heaters...

and run them on high...

Last edited:
I love those utility heaters but yeah I never have understood why the heat settings are so close together. I wish someone would make a 16 amp 1920 watt utility heater. There's a lot of times where a 1500 watt heater is just not enough for me so I end up running two together. Heck put a 20 amp plug on the end and market it to contractors and so forth. That would deter the common homeowner from trying to plug it into a standard 15a house outlet. Most 1500 watt heaters are actually only 1320~ on a meter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Broo
One of these questions that sometimes pop up in my mind. While the answer isn't really important, it bugs me as to why it is this way.

Most utility heaters have two settings : 750W and 1500W. That makes sense. Using the lower settings allows to use some other equipment on the same circuit without tripping the breaker while the highest setting heats up more but uses almost all of a standard 15A breaker capacity.

There is however a utility heater model made by various manufacturers called a "Milkhouse Heater". It also has two setting : 1300W and 1500W. That's not much of a difference in both power draw and heat output.

Anybody knows why this model has two settings so close to one another instead of a single set power
?

Because its CHEAPER to make it that way; a true 750w setting would require a true separate/additional stringing of ni-chrome wire (more cost) for higher ohms (lower current/watts).

The 1300/1500 model has just a SINGLE loop thats tapped a little close to one end to run the shortened loop hotter.

I had to buy an oil-filled heater this year to get a (low) 600w setting (reasonably priced) - they're safer too!

Originally Posted By: dakota99
There's a lot of times where a 1500 watt heater is just not enough for me so I end up running two together.

Two 750 watt heaters is safer than one 1500 watt, anyway.

A lot of small space heaters have three settings now.

Originally Posted By: oldoak2000

Because its CHEAPER to make it that way; a true 750w setting would require a true separate/additional stringing of ni-chrome wire (more cost) for higher ohms (lower current/watts).

The 1300/1500 model has just a SINGLE loop thats tapped a little close to one end to run the shortened loop hotter.

I had to buy an oil-filled heater this year to get a (low) 600w setting (reasonably priced) - they're safer too!

If that's the case, then I wonder why they didn't tap it right in the middle to make a 750/1500.

Earlier this winter I thought of buying one and it too had 1000 & 1500 watt heat settings.
I was hoping for something like a low, medium and high setting (something like 500, 1000, 1500 watt settings).

Then I started thinking rather than a heater to warm up a room, maybe something less to knock a little chill out of the air, more like a maintainer like an oil filled heater. The ones I looked at also had 2 heat settings, but then I found one that went down to 750 watts, but it was 750 watts on or off only. Then I thought of maybe getting two of those, but now the weather has warmed up and the itch has gone away.

We have a couple small ceramic fan force personal low watt heaters (couple hundred watts each) that put out a little warm air. Very small footprint and would warm the feet or hands if held right in front of them but won't warm up a cold room in short order. They are so low in heat the housing is plastic.

I think (for next winter) for now maybe 1 of the milkhouse type and 1 of the oil filled. I'd like something I can run off the generator if needed and not tax it so hard robbing the generator much for other needs, and a low, medium & high settings to give something to work with.

With winter soon over maybe watch for decent sales as heater demands lighten up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back