Kumho Solus TA11 review 225/75/15

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have about 5k miles on these new tires for my escape so I finally feel like I have some credible observations about them. The only tire I can really compare them to is the Cooper Discoverer HT as that is the tire I used for the previous 90k miles or so (2 sets).

1) The Solus TA11 is a much softer ride. It has a bit of "bouncy" feel to it probably from the large sidewalls but the Coopers were much firmer. You can really feel it in the corners. I really like the comfort of the Solus TA11 tire. this is a commuter car so i don't care about cornering much but the comfort is nice.

2) The dry traction seems comparable between the two tires. No complaints.

3) The solus TA11 has MUCH better wet grip, especially in sopping wet conditions. Even with just wet surfaces the Solus TA11 seems like an improvement. One thing I noted for sure was that you really have to get on it in order to get the Solus TA11 tires to slip when accelerating from a stop. The coopers would break/spin on wet roads much easier.

4) Light snow is fine like the coopers.

5) Heavy snow I may never get to test as it appears Kansas City no longer gets snow storms. Oh well.

6) I was hoping to see an MPG improvement going from a light truck tire to a passenger tire but if there is an improvement it hasn't really been measurable and would have to be in the 0.1-0.5 MPG range.

Feel free to ask any questions.

The problem is, and you touched on it... is that the Kumho is a car tire, and the Cooper is not.

Went to Rockhurst College in the 70's and never saw a plowable snow... slot of ice though

I've got a set on my Sonata, they were just about brand new when I bought it a little over 20k miles ago.

Traction and handling seem great, but my only complaint is over rough-ish road surfaces they're pretty loud, like if it isn't freshly poured asphalt.

But they're priced good so I can't complain.

I just put TA33 on my Camry. So far, so good. Feel like I'm floating. I like it.

Put to pa31 on my Camry a while ago had to take them off they got so loud

I'm happy to hear these tires are doing well for you. My wife's car is currently at Wal-Mart having a set of these installed. I was a little concerned, considering the price point of these tires. I have a set of Kumho Roadventure AT51 tires on my truck. Kumho tires have served me well so far. They are priced very well for the quality IMHO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Deerslayer
I'm happy to hear these tires are doing well for you. My wife's car is currently at Wal-Mart having a set of these installed. I was a little concerned, considering the price point of these tires. I have a set of Kumho Roadventure AT51 tires on my truck. Kumho tires have served me well so far. They are priced very well for the quality IMHO.

I put a set on the Sentra at Walmart also.
For the first 1000 miles or so the car would wander off center just bit at 60 or 70 MPH.
Not enough to be concerned with or dangerous.
Then it went away,weird.
They did do very well on snow and ice as long as I kept the speed down and drove it properly for the conditions.
Last winter they got me home in a major blizzard when other cars struggled.

All the reviews I read have been good on the Kumho Solus T11 tires. I bought a set of 4 about 3500 miles ago and have no complaints. They rate very well in Consumer Reports. There were some that had higher ratings but not by a whole lot and they were almost double in price of what I paid on my deal at Discount Tire for the Kumho Solus T11.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I've got a set on my Sonata, they were just about brand new when I bought it a little over 20k miles ago.

Traction and handling seem great, but my only complaint is over rough-ish road surfaces they're pretty loud, like if it isn't freshly poured asphalt.

But they're priced good so I can't complain.

I'm not too informed about road noise. All I can say is they are much quieter than the Cooper Discoverer HTs.

Overall, I'm thrilled with them. The price was $72/ea.

I also had the issue someone above mentioned. The first few hundred miles they tracked weird on some grooved pavement, kinda pulled back and forth. Went away after a week or two, though. I love the way they feel comfort wise.

Things have improved in the wet grip department, from the days I used to run the ECSTA AST (budget tire) and ECSTA Platinum LX (longer wearing).... those tires had poor wet grip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back