D1-G2 Oils--is there a lick of difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to admit, G2 certification has made reading about/researching the common viscosities boring to me. Additive packs appear to all be so similar now as we continue to see more VOAs and UOAs. From Amsoil to Valvoline and everything in between, it seems unless it's a touted extended drain with substantially different base, then who cares...it's going to be the same oil with very minute, uninteresting differences.
Anyone else feel the same way?

I would say it's like anything else...this certification depends on the application. Obviously, it'll mean much less to someone who doesn't own a turbo, direct injection engine. Even then, there will likely be more non-applicable chatter than something that will make or break you in it's usage. So, if someone's looking at D1G2 as the latest and greatest for all vehicles instead of a tweaked formulation and model that has greater benefits for a more narrow ( but growing ) subset, then I'd probably agree.

Among dexos1 Gen2 oils, there usually is little evidence of any substantial differences in actual performance since we don't have access to the SN GF-5 dexos1 Gen2 test results for each oil. Its all secret.

That said, there is some evidence that the long-lasting products "Extended Performance" or "Annual Protection" Mobil1 oils are superior to other dexos1 Gen2 oils due to their higher PAO percentage and XOM patents & claims on anti-oxidant chemistry enabling long OCI's by keeping additives alive and kicking for cleaner and low-wearing engines.

About UOA results, remember those don't show piston cleanliness (ring sticking potential), which is really what separates many oils from each other within any one given spec level.

You could also look at how Pennzoil synthetics have held up piston cleanliness results over the years to say there is a difference even between comparably spec'ed oils. Their GTL GroupIII+ base oils are thought to be quite good.

Likewise you can see Valvoline spelling out the differences between their 3 flavors of synthetics, with synthetic MaxLife winning on several fronts even though all 3 of their full-syn varieties are spec'ed about the same. Differences there? Yes, very likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back