Fuel Filter for 2000 F150 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR1

Are all fuel filters the same? What do the expert fuel filter people on here think is the best fuel filter for my 2000 F150 4.6 V8,auto trans,4x2,with 110k miles on it now. I had my local mechanic change my fuel filter approx 1-2 years ago. For the past 6 months I have been using all the major brand complete fuel system cleaners. I have noticed lately that when at idle there is a slight uneven idle. I'm thinking the fuel filter has been collecting deposits from all the additives.

Please advise.

Really any fuel filter would be fine. Motorcraft would work good. If its a rough idle I would be betting it might be time to replace the 02 sensors before the cat. Check the spark plugs also if not done recently.

Been running purolator fuel filters in the 00 and 06 F150 with no issues
Ive also seen fuel pumps go bad...kinda a pain to replace those

Yes, I will def. be putting in all new 02 sensors real soon.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
Really any fuel filter would be fine. Motorcraft would work good. If its a rough idle I would be betting it might be time to replace the 02 sensors before the cat. Check the spark plugs also if not done recently.

I am not an "expert fuel filter person..." but a friend has the '97 version of your twuck in 4WD.

Do what people here suggest re checking the fuel pump and other maintenance parts.
My friend's gas tank, tank straps and other stuff rusted out right when he got the truck. 'Twas a dead man's ride and sat idle in a his garage for 2 solid years.
I suppose the fuel pump etc. was transferred to the new tank (RockAuto, no less). The straps came from Ford via an open recall.
His fuel filter couplers were so rusted that the repair kit from NAPA (2 18" lengths of line each with a connector) was needed.
So yeah, change your filter and cut it open to see if it's filled with anything. 2 years isn't long at all with a system in good condition.

He complains his truck has a tiny skip. I've been with him and we worked out a signal (jerks his hand) when it happens. I swear I cannot detect anything wrong.
He had an exhaust rot problem and had to resort severe repairs because he couldn't remove them and didn't want to throw out working sensors.
This thread got me thinking it might be his sensors.

I doubt any of this rambling helped. Good luck

I don't get very particular when it comes to fuel filters, I've used purolator, fram, motorcraft, wix, and all work fine. the wix filers are nice looking though.

anyways yes the quick release fittings are a pain to deal with, the best tools i've used are the aluminum ones and i got them at advance auto

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Those filters are a PITA to change if you don't have the "special" tool.

Ford fuel line disconnect tools are cheap and found at any auto supply place. Some are so cheap that they are disposable.

I did my 2002 Ford 4.6L fuel filter a couple of years ago (60K miles) with a screwdriver, vice grips and needle nose pliers. Only took a couple minutes to get it loose. I change them 2x to 3x in the car's life and never had a problem.

I always used Fram for the canister type filter in the fuel line for Fords. Some come with clips some don't.

I always used Fram for the canister type filter in the fuel line for Fords. Some come with clips some don't.

I prefer Motorcraft due to COO(US) - but any of them should work fine, it's a pleated element and not the depth-based media Toyota uses.

Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder
I don't get very particular when it comes to fuel filters, I've used purolator, fram, motorcraft, wix, and all work fine. the wix filers are nice looking though.

anyways yes the quick release fittings are a pain to deal with, the best tools i've used are the aluminum ones and i got them at advance auto

It also helps to relieve pressure first at the rail (cold engine).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back