Duratrac or trailrunner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to get a new set of moccasins for my truck withing the next month or so. 275/70 18" E rated. I am looking at the two above stated tires first as that is what the local tireshop has that interests me. But I am open to any info on others.

My truck needs something better than the Transforce zero traction model tires. We run a mix of gravel but mostly highway. On occasion a more aggressive tire would certainly help so I included the Duratrac. We tow heavy and would like to shoot for the 100,000km mark for life.

Wondering how people have made out with the aforementioned tires?

Take a look at the General Grabber at2. They make it in that size and in an E load.

I would bite the bullet and go with a 3-ply sidewall & 3PMS rubber. Options to list a few; Toyo CT or M55, Hankook AT-M and Nitto EXO Grappler from Kal-Tire.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHRATA
Take a look at the General Grabber at2. They make it in that size and in an E load.

These have very soft sidewalls. I would advise against using these on a 1 ton.

Originally Posted By: Farmer
Originally Posted By: NHRATA

These have very soft sidewalls. I would advise against using these on a 1 ton.

I wasn't aware of that, what about the Cooper AT3?

AT3 is a very good tire. The Cooper RTX I had were very solid truck tires and were probably the best handling and towing tire I've had on the truck. I'd vouch for them as well. Of the two the OP mentions, my vote would be for the GY, though I've had mixed results with GY in general; most I've had have lost wet traction more than any other as they age.

[/quote] I wasn't aware of that, what about the Cooper AT3? [/quote]

I had them on my F-350, they are quiet on the highway and do fine on gravel, but are complete rubbish in the snow. I have been stuck in my own driveway and residential streets after as little as 6" of snow and the truck is 4x4 with rear trac lock. Three of them also developed deep cracks int the sidewalls after about 2 years even though I rotate every 5k and adjust pressures depending on towing or empty.

Thanks guys for the insight, it seems I got some reading to do.

I had the AT3 in 10 ply on my last rig, the 1500. They seemed good for ride, fuel economy but I did not have them long enough to see how long they would run. The price was right though. I think I paid 1400 all in for 17 inch, which included another spare steel rim.

I'm running the Toyo Open Country C/T tires on my truck which you instrumental in influencing me to buy... still enjoying it, so thanks again.

Anyway, towing a heavy Toy Hauler in some unpaved scenarios (sand, dirt, gravel), they do great. I've driven the truck in snow a bit and they do great there too. They're probably a bit noisier than the Highway tread tires the truck was built with, but I had the tires swapped before delivery so can't say for sure. They don't make enough noise to really even notice rolling down the road.

Well I decided... well the wife decided on the Duratracs. I had priced out and checked out out in person several Goodyear, Cooper and Toyo's. Prices varied but in the last month, prices on the Duratrac came down 25 per tire, bringing into the range of all the others. I left it up to the wife and her final vote was the Duratracs look more aggressive and will compliment the truck better.

While not the ideal choice for highway towing, the time we spend on grid roads, [censored] conditions, they will pay off. I have logged thousands of miles on Duratracs on my work vehicles and they are not bad on the highway so I should be happy.

You will not regret the Duratrac. They wear well as long as you rotate them. I do it at 5,000 miles or less if I have nothing else to do. Have 25,000 miles on them and I see them going another 25,000.

Duratracs are very popular with the farmers/ranchers and independent oil guys around here … those who do it in the dirt
(Then it rains)

4WE up here we are in mud season. Our drive way is 100 yards long half of it is mud. Washed the jeep Sunday wife went to the store and came back with a mud encrusted jeep. I asked her why not drive on the grass. She says no fun in that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back