Motorcraft 5W-30 Blend 17 2.3EB Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

This is my 2nd UOA for this vehicle. The ff oc was at 2,000 mi. The next oil change was dealer done at 2,000 mi. for 3,200 miles. Then the Mobil 1 oil went in at 5,200 mi, the UOA went til 12,200 mi, 7,000 mi on the oil. This UOA of Motorcraft went till 16,475 mi, 4,275 miles on the oil. This was a more realistic UOA of actual "everyday" driving, including the use of the remote starts to warm up the vehicle and melt the windshield ice. I wanted to get to a 5,000 mi OC but if I wanted to change the oil myself I had to do it when I did, before winter really happened here a couple of days afterwards. The thing that stands out is the drop in viscosity from a 30 weight to a 20 weight. Yet it doesn't appear that it was from fuel dilution, maybe some, but the flashpoint was still good. Perhaps the DI and Turbo do shear the oil even without fuel dilution. The TBN was still a respectable 3.6 even with the sheared oil. The iOLM for this change at 4,275 miles was 58%. The next UOA is Mobil 1 5W-30 which was installed after this oil and I'll do an UOA when I drain it in the spring. From then on I'll use Mobil 1 as I have quite a few changes worth of it at this point in time.

Whimsey

I like Mobil 1 for this turbo car. I use it in my wife's 09 Acadia at 5k OCI due to D.I. And known timing chain issues. If this car were mine I would do the same due to shearing and/or fuel.

This oil was in a used Buick Encore that I bought from a Ford dealer. Since it wasn't Dexos and the dealer didn't reset the OLM, I dropped it at about 4000 miles. Still looked clean, the Maxlife which I changed to looks pretty dirty pretty fast. Don't know whether clean looking oil is a good thing or a bad thing.

I used Kendall 5w20 on a Kia Rio and had Firestone not dropped it for QS I might have kept at it when the car got out of warranty. Conoco-Phillips has a lot of group III production capacity and their oils are all great values IMO.

I live in a condo where changing your oil is forbidden so finding a good source of cheap oil changes is important. A local tire store with cheap Valvoline products is the decider for me.

I wouldn't worry about shearing down to 5w20. Things look good, especially for the combo of di and turbo. If you get through your stash of M1, this oil looks like a pretty good, cheaper, fall back.

My first guess was the dealership put in the wrong oil, but if I read your post correctly you changed the oil yourself. That oil has really sheared down, but wear metals are fine. M1 shears in my EB, but maybe yours will do better. Will be interesting to see how it holds up.

Good wear overall.
Longer OCIs will actually drop the wear rates.
In reality, you could have easily waited until AFTER winter to OCI, rather than do it before.
But I understand the typical BITOG addiction to wrench on stuff .... Must...Touch...Tools...

I would respectfully disagree with Dave on this one-those viscosity numbers are not good at all for 5W30, especially without the fuel contamination that EB engines are known for-you did the right thing by changing it.

Quite a drop in KV100C due to shearing and fuel dilution, nontheless the metal wear rates are good.
Oil is serviceable and OCI could be further extended IMO.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Good wear overall.
Longer OCIs will actually drop the wear rates.
In reality, you could have easily waited until AFTER winter to OCI, rather than do it before.
But I understand the typical BITOG addiction to wrench on stuff .... Must...Touch...Tools...

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
I'm 64, 2 replacement knees, bad arthritis, can't see close up anymore and I HATE the cold! I only wrench when I have, like getting the snowblower working for winter or changing my own oil for peace of mind
grin2.gif
. In this case if I waited till after winter which is usually mid-late April I'd be up in the 9,000 mile OC range. Not a comfort zone for me with a synblend oil in the EB engine through winter with lots of remote starts by my wife, who drives this. When I replaced the oil on 12/5 I used Mobil 1 5W-30, same as in my first UOA shown. This I hope to run into June. I should have around 7,000+ miles on the oil with it running through the worst of winter, again lots of remote starts. And yes I'll do an UOA. With our Ford 4.6 and 2.0 Zetec, both port injected, I do ~9,000+ mile OCIs and feel comfortable. I'm still trying to establish my 'comfort zone" with this EB engine.

Whimsey

Thanks, Whimsey. Yep, that one got sheared and/or diluted pretty good. It is kind of hard figuring a good point here for mileage. I am going to Castrol 0W-40 this summer for both of our Ecoboosts, and see how it holds up over 4k-ish miles. Otherwise, I can't see going much more than 2500-3000 with the 30's.

Originally Posted By: zeng
Quite a drop in KV100C due to shearing and fuel dilution, nontheless the metal wear rates are good.
Oil is serviceable and OCI could be further extended IMO.

The shearing cause is interesting. I know that Blackstone's fuel dilution measurement can be dubious at times. But in this case even with the sheared viscosity level the fuel dilution level is still above the norm and there is less than .5% fuel dilution they're showing
21.gif
. I think the DI and turbo both take a toll on the oil viscosity, especially ON a conventional or synblend oil even if they meet the Ford specification of WSS-M2C946-A. I believe if you're planing on keeping vehicles with EB engines long term it's probably cost effective to use a synthetic oil in the long term. I'm waiting for Mobil 1's discount of $12/5 qts to pick up some more between March and May and August and October for $11-$13/5 quarts
grin.gif

Whimsey

Just an observation:

It seems ever since their Shield oils came out (Conoco/Phillips 5-30 synblend) I am seeing more UOAs shearing down a grade like most other conv. and synblend oil brands when in the past it has been very resistant to it. Maybe this is an a adjustment in the formulation for CAFE standards

It doesn't seem to affect performance of the measurements performed by Blackstone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back