PQIA 2016 and 2017 Testing results for Castrol GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just looking at the PQIA oil test results and noticed that Castrol GTX 5W-20 was tested in 2016 and 2017 with different results showing as the 2017 shows TBN at 8.68 Calcium at 2,668 ppm Boron 195 Zinc 817 Molybdenum 86. The 2016 test shows TBN 7.71 Calcium 2,344 ppm Boron 80 Zinc 827 PQIA Molybdenum <1 . Looks like some slight changes were made from 2016 to 2017 .

Since GTX 5w-20 was discontinued and rebranded as GTX Ultraclean 5w-20, I wonder if the stuff that PQIA tested in 2017 was actually Ultraclean, but still in the old bottle. Sometimes there is a lag and manufacturer wants to use up the already produced bottles, but will start filling them with new formulation.

You might be right but I was not aware that they have discontinued the regular GTX to be replaced by the Ultra Clean. Their web site still offers both .

Originally Posted By: mctmatt
but I was not aware that they have discontinued the regular GTX to be replaced by the Ultra Clean. Their web site still offers both .

Maybe I'm not reading it right, but to me it sounds like GTX 5w-20 and 5w-30 was replaced with GTX Ultraclean...

https://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-states/motor-oil/conventional-motor-oil/gtx-motor-oil.html

Quote:
CASTROL GTX MOTOR OIL IS AVAILABLE IN THE FOLLOWING GRADES: 10W-30, 10W-40 AND 20W-50.
CASTROL GTX ULTRACLEAN MOTOR OIL IS AVAILABLE IN THE FOLLOWING GRADES: 5W-20 AND 5W-30.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
but I was not aware that they have discontinued the regular GTX to be replaced by the Ultra Clean. Their web site still offers both .

Maybe I'm not reading it right, but to me it sounds like GTX 5w-20 and 5w-30 was replaced with GTX Ultraclean...

https://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-states/motor-oil/conventional-motor-oil/gtx-motor-oil.html

Quote:
CASTROL GTX MOTOR OIL IS AVAILABLE IN THE FOLLOWING GRADES: 10W-30, 10W-40 AND 20W-50.
CASTROL GTX ULTRACLEAN MOTOR OIL IS AVAILABLE IN THE FOLLOWING GRADES: 5W-20 AND 5W-30.

At work at the auto parts store it seems that 5w-20 and 5w-30 are labeled as "Ultraclean" while 10w-30, 10w-40, and 20w-50 are not.

Last edited:
You might be right but I was not aware that they have discontinued the regular GTX to be replaced by the Ultra Clean. Their web site still offers both .

They haven't and that's what Castrol told me in an email. That's just another BITOG bad rumor!

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

They haven't and that's what Castrol told me in an email. That's just another BITOG bad rumor!

How is that a bad rumor when the castrol link I posted above clearly states that?

I can only go by what shows on the PQIA site as both bottles only show as Castrol GTX 5W-20 and it provides different data results for the 2016 test as compared to the 2017 test. If the 2017 bottle is something different than what is being shown and described on the site, then PQIA would need to explain that I would think.

If the 2017 bottle is something different than what is being shown and described on the site, then PQIA would need to explain that I would think.

How would PQIA know what Castrol actually put in that bottle?

I just threw out a guess that maybe that's what happened. Or maybe it didn't.

But that GTX 5W-20 was superseded by GTX Ultraclean 5W-20 is not a rumor, as JohnnyJohnson claims. It's pretty clear based on Castrol's website info.

If the 2017 bottle is something different than what is being shown and described on the site, then PQIA would need to explain that I would think.

How would PQIA know what Castrol actually put in that bottle?

I just threw out a guess that maybe that's what happened. Or maybe it didn't.

But that GTX 5W-20 was superseded by GTX Ultraclean 5W-20 is not a rumor, as JohnnyJohnson claims. It's pretty clear based on Castrol's website info.

LOL their current webpage

https://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-states/motor-oil/full-synthetic-motor-oil.html

You're full of ............

If you found the place on that site that says what you're claiming give us the URL Big Boy~

Last edited:

Quote:

That says nothing about it replacing Magnatec it suggests its part of the GTX oil family and that Its conventional oil. They just put up a new online ad for more GTX Magnatec 5w-20/30 oil here at Walmart this lie has continued since November and the oil is still here.

So much for rumor on BITOG!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-GTX-MAGNATEC-5W-30-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-QT/44580669

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
That says nothing about it replacing Magnatec

Who said anything about Magnatec???

I was addressing GTX / GTX Ultraclean and the fact that the lighter grades are only available in GTX Ultraclean and the heavier ones, GTX (as was Quattro Pete). I didn't know there was a Magnatec twist to this thread also.

Edit: Going back and reading the thread, JohnnyJohnson injected Magnatec into the Ultraclean discussion. It can happen to any of us.
wink.gif

USA supplied Castrol Motor oils:

Castrol Edge
Castrol GTX Ultraclean
Castrol GTX Magnatec
Castrol GTX High Mileage
Castrol GTX

Why don't they just make (1) superior synthetic and (1) superior conventional and be done with it.

Originally Posted By: wemay
You can't find GTX (only) 5W20 or 5w30 around here anymore. Only GTX I see is 10w30/40. The Castrol GTX 5w20 and 5w30 now available is Ultraclean.

They're relegating GTX to the obsolete grades?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
You can't find GTX (only) 5W20 or 5w30 around here anymore. Only GTX I see is 10w30/40. The Castrol GTX 5w20 and 5w30 now available is Ultraclean.

wink.gif

Seems that way, but also GTX is mineral while GTX Ultraclean is a blend.

Originally Posted By: Garak

wink.gif

Seems that way, but also GTX is mineral while GTX Ultraclean is a blend.

If it was obsolete I'd buy it, but I've only seen it in SN here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back