Coolant Tank Material

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I am looking to have a new coolant tank made for my car. The fabricator asked if i wanted it made out of aluminum or stainless, and i don't know how to decide. I see that most or all aftermarket metal coolant tanks are made of aluminum, not stainless...is there a reason for that? He said the cost would be the same for either material.

So, is one material better than the other for a coolant tank?

Thanks,
Tim

Moderators, if this is in the wrong forum i apologize.

Electrolytically speaking, stainless and aluminum hate each other. Stainless attacks aluminum like a mother.

If you have any aluminum in your cooling system, definitely go with an aluminum tank and leave the stainless alone.

If there are "problems" associated with running a properly fabricated aluminum tank, I've never heard of them. Anything that will kill an aluminum tank will kill your radiator first, so you're not losing anything that you wouldn't anyway.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Electrolytically speaking, stainless and aluminum hate each other. Stainless attacks aluminum like a mother.

If you have any aluminum in your cooling system, definitely go with an aluminum tank and leave the stainless alone.

My radiator is entirely made of aluminum...

Go with a 3000 or 5000 series aluminum, Typically 3003 or 5052.

These will be the more corrosion resistant.

"5000 series are alloyed with magnesium, and offer superb corrosion resistance, making them suitable for marine applications." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_alloy

Make sure you know what the material is - NOT ALL aluminum is the same!!!

Thanks for the input guys. I think i will be going with an aluminum tank. I will definitely find out what material he can get.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Go with a 3000 or 5000 series aluminum, Typically 3003 or 5052.

These will be the more corrosion resistant.

"5000 series are alloyed with magnesium, and offer superb corrosion resistance, making them suitable for marine applications." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_alloy

Make sure you know what the material is - NOT ALL aluminum is the same!!!

I am sure these guys in this business, providing a warranty, know what they are doing. We are not making an aircraft here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back