WIX 51516 XP Q?s

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading the post in this forum about WIX oil filters I did some research on the application for my trucks engine (Ford 4.2 V6). According to the WIX website, it shows my filter application having the base plate end by-pass valve. Well, the filter that I bought from ROCK AUTO for $3.14, DOES NOT have aforementioned by-pass valve. I wonder, why not? Maybe that's why it only cost $3.14? If I had known this prior to buying it, I would have bought a FU at the same time, used it instead, and kept the WIX as a spare. Opinions?
21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
If I had known this prior to buying it, I would have bought a FU at the same time, used it instead, and kept the WIX as a spare. Opinions?
21.gif

It really, TRULY, genuinely does NOT matter.

I doubt your oil filter on your 4.2 ever goes into bypass for more than a second on the coldest day of the year.

Why worry about such a trivial thing?

Read this: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3197094/

He had to go full throttle sometimes to get it to open. You are worrying about nothing.

I've used the Napa Platinum 41516 (same filter) on my Fusion for a couple OCIs. Wear numbers and insolubles looked good, but guys like ZeeOhSix are convinced these filters are better described as sieves. I bought a couple on sale but will not pay regular retail of nearly $13.

B2=20 means 95% efficient at filtering particles 2 microns or larger. Not exactly sieves if you believe what that number really means. Some people think it means 50% of particles 20 microns or larger.

Originally Posted By: SnowmanCO
B2=20 means 95% efficient at filtering particles 2 microns or larger. Not exactly sieves if you believe what that number really means. Some people think it means 50% of particles 20 microns or larger.

That is not correct.

B2="X" means that the fitter is 50% at um "X", not 95%.

When you see a "B" followed by a number, that number is the inverse fraction factor.
Example B2 = 1/2. And we know that 1/2 = .50, or 50%. So it's then applied to the formula of the "whole - the passing effect". (100%-50% = 50% efficient at "X"um size)
Example B20 = 1/20 = .05, so it's 5% that passes, or 95% efficient at catching stuff.

Wix often states stuff such as B2/20 = 6/20. That means it's 50% at 6um; 95% at 20um.
(it's kind of misleading, because it's really more appropriate to state B2 at 6um, B20 at 20um, but that's not how it's done).

Last edited:

The Wix XP always seemed good to me, but I know the 50% designation has always been a source of confusion for many members including myself.

Then again Royal Purple uses the same Beta ratio formatting, but they have it backwards:

"Average beta rating based on ISO 4548-12 multi-pass test methods:

B100 = 25 (which means at 25 or greater micron; media is 99% efficient.)
B75 = 20 (which means at 20 or greater micron; media is 98.7% efficient. Also considered absolute rating.)
B5 = 10 (which means at 10 micron or greater; media is 80% efficient.)"

They have it listed backwards really. The number after the B should be the particle size. They have the number after the B as the number of 1/X particles that make it through at the listed particle size. This is an unconventional formatting based on a number of industry documents I have seen. If this were applied to the Wix XP, the is would mean 50% of particles 20 microns or greater. But, again, this is not conventional.

See here (and many other places) at 6:09 it shows the number after the B should indicate the particle size https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiLhfAFhkvs

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Linctex
If I had known this prior to buying it, I would have bought a FU at the same time, used it instead, and kept the WIX as a spare. Opinions?
21.gif

It really, TRULY, genuinely does NOT matter.

I doubt your oil filter on your 4.2 ever goes into bypass for more than a second on the coldest day of the year.

Why worry about such a trivial thing?

Read this: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3197094/

He had to go full throttle sometimes to get it to open. You are worrying about nothing.

It's an insomnia thing! Do you know how much I'm going to be pacing the floor at night, not being able to sleep, knowing that it's not a base plate by-pass? Oh, woes me, oh woes me!
Ah well, it's built like a FU so that part makes me happy. I "GUESS" it deserves it's turn on my almighty V6 engine! Oh, and if it makes my engine clatter upon start up, I will remove it so fast the paint will have to catch up with the filter!
crackmeup2.gif

lol.gif
... there is no filter on the market for passenger cars that is "95% @ 2 microns" efficiency. You're all twisted up on understanding WIX's beta format.

Ah well, it's built like a FU so that part makes me happy.

Well, not really if you include the media performsnce as part of the "build". J/K
laugh.gif

Don't worry about it, just don't redline your engine when the oil is cold.

BOF
I contacted WIX today. The technical rep answered the bypass question for me. He said it didn’t really matter which end the bypass valve was in. You do get more media area with the dome end bypass. I’m like you about the bypass location for a Ford product. The Motorcraft FL-400s has the base end bypass. The WIX 51516 and the NAPA Gold 1516 has the base end bypass. The WIX 51516XP and the NAPA Platinum 41516 both have dome end bypass. He told me that the bypass location could change in future WIX and NAPA Gold oil filters. So, open the box and look before you buy. I do that anyway because there may be some manufacturing flaws in any brand filter that can be seen.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MParr
I contacted WIX today. The technical rep answered the bypass question for me. .....
He told me that the bypass location could change in future WIX and NAPA Gold oil filters.

Wonder if it will be because of M+H having control.

I guess anything is possible. WIX media to end cap fusing technology may find its way into Purolator filters. We shall see. I just hope the WIX build quality won’t suffer.

I have a 1516 (non-XP) on the shelf, and just sent a 41516 (Platinum/XP) to car51 to C&P for the board... and I can confirm, the 1516 has the thread-end bypass, and the 41516 has a dome end bypass even though everything else dimensionally is the same. The 41516 obviously has the synthetic wire backed media, where the 1516 is paper...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back