Kenmore Dishwasher 4 Years Old Cavitation Damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife said water in dishwasher. About 1/2" of water left in bottom. First guess was discharge line partially blocked. NO. Checked drain pump with Ohm meter/ok. Suctioned out water with MityVac(one of best purchases even made). Removed drain pump. Two thirds of all impeller vanes missing. Being around power generation for decades, I knew I was looking at cavitation damage. Pump housing also looks like it has been sandblasted. Been listening to cavitation off and on for four years but never could find out why pump was cavitating. Flooded suction, screens clean, no restrictions in discharge line,nothing.I think the rinse water is maintained at 140 F but don't think that would lead to cavitation. Appreciate any help. For now I am replacing drain pump but that will last only so long and housing will hole out. Appreciate any help. Has anyone seen this? Confused in Columbus,NE.
confused2.gif

Rust poor quality metal or a bad ground or an electrical leak causing electrolisis? At 4 years old I would replace the whole dishwasher and call it the cost of doing business.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Rustpoor quality metam of a bad grounf or an electrical leak causing electrolisis? At 4 years old I would replace the whole dishwasher and call it the cost of doing business.
Possibly. The machine is hardwired with ground wire secured so I guess the poor connection would be at the panel? Why wouldn't the circulation pump also cavitate? Thanks

Used to have an older Amanna dishwasher and we had to have the pump replaced shortly after we moved in, then again about a year later the washer was not draining completely and it was the pump again. The repairman said to avoid any dishwasher liquids that have bleach as over time it can corrode pump seals and cause pumps to fail. I do not recall the brand of liquid we were using but it was a house brand from Sam's and it did have bleach in it. Since then we have a newer Whirlpool quiet II and have only use Finish brand and have had no issues and have had it for nearly a decade now. It costs a bit more but apparently the brand name has been worth it. Anyway my experience, for what it is worth.

I've experienced an on-going issue with my 1990 Maytag Jet-Clean. I can discern a subtle pitch change in the motor when the single pump is being starved of full water flow. I've also found both spray bar jets plugged on occasion with garlic & onion skin bits.

How did it get past the screen, through the pump and into the spray bars? Odd that. The screen (plastic) has no large holes in it. I'm thinking perhaps the drain valve is sticking or the seals need replacing as small bits of food debris are still remaining.

Diagnoses requires further disassembly however.....

BTW, is your water very hard?

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I've experienced an on-going issue with my 1990 Maytag Jet-Clean. I can discern a subtle pitch change in the motor when the single pump is being starved of full water flow. I've also found both spray bar jets plugged on occasion with garlic & onion skin bits.

How did it get past the screen, through the pump and into the spray bars? Odd that. The screen (plastic) has no large holes in it. I'm thinking perhaps the drain valve is sticking or the seals need replacing as small bits of food debris are still remaining.

Diagnoses requires further disassembly however.....

BTW, is your water very hard?
It's Ogallala Aquifer water so in the mid range for hardness. We have a softener that uses less than thirty pounds of salt a month.

Our 10 year old piece of chit is still kicking. I used the repair clinic to fix our dishwasher twice. Two different issues.

Living off well water, even carefully treated, exposes appliances to variations in water quality that can sure tear them up.

Our first DW in this home was a GE Profile, ran 10 years without complaint. Replaced with a top of the line Samsung, biggest POS I have ever had. Never could run more than a couple of weeks without codes and poor washing performance. This Christmas we bought a new mid range Whirlpool on super sale. Wow, what a machine. Reminds me of the old GE unit, produces clean no matter what you put in it or how you load it.

Still like my well better than city water...

Kenmore dishwasher drain pump update. Noticed OEM pump on work bench had a quarter size puddle under impeller. Ah ha. Bad rotor seal. Dismantled pump and more water. Question: Will a rotating magnetic field running in water in a permanent magnet pump produce enough current to become a little EDM machine? Apparently it will. No cavitation, pump committing suicide.
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: CT8
Rust poor quality metal or a bad ground or an electrical leak causing electrolisis? At 4 years old I would replace the whole dishwasher and call it the cost of doing business.
Close CT8. Rotor seal leak had rotor(magnet) producing enough current to make pump a little EDM machine.See my last post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back