Atlas Bipod Knockoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to take a chance and order one of these based on several You Tube comparisons. Along with the fact I have always felt that Atlas Bipods were way overpriced for what they are. It came the other day, and on first inspection I must say I'm very pleased with the overall quality. The plated finish seems very durable. The threads and screws, along with the rail attachment point and legs all tightened up very securely.

I won't know for sure how well it's going to deliver until I mount it on a rifle, and get it out to the range for a good workout. That will probably happen next week some time. I have several AR's I can mount it on. Most likely one of my scoped Colt's or Bushmasters. If they run as well as they look, I'm going to buy several more. For $43.00 each they are a good deal. Certainly better than paying over $250.00 for an original Atlas. I can't gas up my truck for $43.00 these days.

https://www.amazon.com/Twod-Rifle-Bipod-...XF6XF6E0KWY801C

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
What about the quality and performance 5 years from now ? Will it still be a great deal down the road ?

Maybe, maybe not. But considering the cost, I can replace it several times down the road, and still be money ahead.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Bragging about ripping off American workers. How classy.

Please spare me. Here is something else for all of you, "Buy American" flag wavers to chew on and digest. This all revolves around the old saying, "You only get what you pay for". The problem with that is it works both ways. What we have here is a company that sells a very high quality bipod, (Atlas). They also charge an arm and a leg for it. ($229.00 to $339.00 depending on the model).

Many people, including myself, do not think they are worth that. Or else do not want or require that level of quality, and or expense. So they are going to shop for something similar that is cheaper. Many will purchase a copy, much like several of the one's offered on Amazon. Will they be as good? Perhaps not. But in the grand scheme of things, they will work well for their intended purpose. (We're not all "operators" shooting our $25K sniper rifles in a harsh combat environment).

The fact is Atlas brought a lot of this on themselves, by pricing their models beyond the affordability range of the overall market. If they had brought out a less expensive model, they would be more competitive. And at the same time, would not have created such a large market for cheaper copies.

And you cannot make up for this by screaming, "Buy American!", along with all the MAGA!, flag waving B.S. Even Trump purchased Chinese furnishings for his 5 Star Hotels. And he's the king of MAGA! He also has a keen sense of value. Which is why he does it.... Just like I did.

Reminds me of how a certain tier of shooter uses $600 Manfrotto camera tripods (with a $150 picatinny adapter).

I think Atlas decided they were going to ride the "luxury gun item" wave, but like you said Bill it's priced as much as an entry level rifle or handgun.

And frankly it's just a bipod. It's meant to be a step above a sandbag or a mound of dirt for stationary shooting. In an emergency some twine and branches would be functionally just as good.

Even Caldwell makes a knock off of the Harris bipod and it is about 95% of a Harris one for half the money.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Reminds me of how a certain tier of shooter uses $600 Manfrotto camera tripods (with a $150 picatinny adapter).

I think Atlas decided they were going to ride the "luxury gun item" wave, but like you said Bill it's priced as much as an entry level rifle or handgun.

And frankly it's just a bipod. It's meant to be a step above a sandbag or a mound of dirt for stationary shooting. In an emergency some twine and branches would be functionally just as good.

Even Caldwell makes a knock off of the Harris bipod and it is about 95% of a Harris one for half the money.

And here is what I find somewhat funny. (Actually it's sad if you spent all that extra money on the Atlas). If the Atlas buys you so much supposed "better quality" for $280.00 and sometimes more. You sure would never guess it by the reviews from actual purchasers of their units. They have no better overall reviews than the $49.00 copy. You can put whatever faith in that you want. But if I'm spending close to, or over $300.00 for a rifle bipod, I expect to see 5 Star reviews across the board. That isn't happening.

ATLAS $279.95... 3-1/2 Stars... 193 Reviews

https://www.amazon.com/AccuShot-3523-Atl...rds=atlas+bipod

COPY $49.95... 3-1/2 Stars... 265 Reviews

https://www.amazon.com/Green-Blob-Outdoo...rds=atlas+bipod

Originally Posted By: billt460

And here is what I find somewhat funny. (Actually it's sad if you spent all that extra money on the Atlas). If the Atlas buys you so much supposed "better quality" for $280.00 and sometimes more. You sure would never guess it by the reviews from actual purchasers of their units. They have no better overall reviews than the $49.00 copy. You can put whatever faith in that you want. But if I'm spending close to, or over $300.00 for a rifle bipod, I expect to see 5 Star reviews across the board. That isn't happening.

ATLAS $279.95... 3-1/2 Stars... 193 Reviews

https://www.amazon.com/AccuShot-3523-Atl...rds=atlas+bipod

COPY $49.95... 3-1/2 Stars... 265 Reviews

https://www.amazon.com/Green-Blob-Outdoo...rds=atlas+bipod

The entire 1st page of 1 star reviews on Amazon is people complaining that they got a fake bipod.

BSW

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bsmithwins
The entire 1st page of 1 star reviews on Amazon is people complaining that they got a fake bipod.

Anyone who would attempt to purchase an actual Atlas bipod on Amazon, deserves to get scammed. First rule in shopping on Amazon. If you want to purchase a cheaper clone like I did, (no markings of who or where it was manufactured anywhere on the bipod or box), it's fine to shop Amazon. However if you want the real deal, you buy from Midway USA, or else some other reputable shooting supply house. You DON'T try to buy an original off the same Internet page that is filled with overseas clones.

So this morning I mounted my Atlas clone up to my Colt 6940 Monolith, and headed to the range. I removed the Harris I had on it. It mounted up easily, and nice and tight. I really like this unit much better than the Harris for a couple of reasons. First is the way the legs are independently adjustable front to rear, as well as length. They have far more adjustability than the Harris units do. And it looks a lot cleaner, without all those springs hanging out everywhere. I never liked that about the Harris units. It doesn't hurt anything, but it just looks cheesy.

It also seemed to be a bit more stable. It wasn't too noticeably different shooting off a nice smooth, level concrete bench. But if you were shooting Sod Poodles in open country, on uneven ground, this Atlas clone would be a much better choice. There were a few guys there that asked if it was an Atlas. I told them no, it was a $50.00 clone. I removed it so they could get better look at it and fumble around with it. I got a few, "Where did you get it!?", questions. And I told them Amazon. So I'm sure I sold a few more.

I'm going to order a few more of them in black. They'll better match my AR's. But if anyone is interested, don't be afraid to grab one of these. It will be the best $50.00 you ever spent. Everything stayed tight that was supposed to stay tight. And everything that was adjustable, adjusted easily and wasn't sloppy. Nor did it get loose. I did pull it apart and lubricated the threads on the adjustment rings with a dab of grease before I headed out. It comes with an Allen Wrench for adjusting the legs as loose or tight as you want them. So overall I'm really happy with this unit. It does what it's supposed to do, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg doing it.

Thanks Bill. Does it swivel side to side like a Harris?

Also, what is the knob on the bottom for?

Thanks Bill. Does it swivel side to side like a Harris?

Also, what is the knob on the bottom for?

Here is a short video explaining and demonstrating all of the features and controls of the Atlas design. Along with actual practical applications. This clone functions the exact same way, seeing as it's a direct copy of the design.

It's nice that to read posts where people condone theft and justify such crimes because the American company charges too much....

So a challenge for billt460, your welcome to use Reddy45 as your help-line as you both seem to be on the same side and you both make statements that would suggest you have the knowledge to answer this simple question:

What does it cost the American company to make the Atlas bipod?

billt460 stated "The fact is Atlas brought a lot of this on themselves, by pricing their models beyond the affordability range of the overall market." Seems your really knowledgeable about the costs to manufacturer it....

Oh, so you don't really know that answer.

Lets try another: How much do the chinese counterfeiters pay to use the American companies patented design?

Come-on billt460, you know this one.

Originally Posted By: Kasey
What does it cost the American company to make the Atlas bipod? billt460 stated "The fact is Atlas brought a lot of this on themselves, by pricing their models beyond the affordability range of the overall market."

I don't know what it costs them to manufacture it. And I don't care. All I care about is what they charge for it. And as I stated in my post, it's far more than I, along with many others, are willing to pay for it. And that's all that matters. If they had priced it more affordably, there wouldn't be such a large market for lesser cost reproductions. If they can't, or else won't, they can live with the results. It's called competition.

....How much do the chinese counterfeiters pay to use the American companies patented design?....

You really need to get your definitions straight before you start shooting off your mouth about something you obviously have proven to know so little about. What I bought is a perfectly LEGAL unbranded COPY / CLONE. Not a COUNTERFEIT. A copy is a cheaper manufactured reproduction, that is knowingly produced by someone other than the original manufacturer at far lower cost. A counterfeit is deliberately manufactured with the intent to deceive and defraud the purchaser into thinking they are buying the original. When in fact they are not. And is ILLEGAL.

Second, how do you know it's made in China? I don't. There are no markings of any kind either on the unit itself, or on the box it came in, stating where it was made, or who made it. Third, there are all but countless LEGAL way's around patents. All that it requires is a slight change or modification to the original design, and there is no illegal patent infringement. It's done all the time in the automotive industry.

Lastly, if you don't care to own one, and instead would prefer to own an original Atlas, that's fine. No one is preventing you from spending your money how you so choose. But you have no reason or room to criticize someone else's selection who chooses not to. You are obviously not a lawyer. Seeing as that's the case, and this is your first post on this forum, you really should stop trying to act like one. Because going by the way you are acting, tossing around false illegalities and accusations of "theft" and "crime", not to mention silly, leading questions, smart remarks, and manufacturing assumptions, you appear to be far more of a counterfeit than my bipod.

"I don't know what it costs them to manufacture it. And I don't care. All I care about is what they charge for it." So in William's world what it costs to manufacturer an item has no bearing on what it sells for, all that matters is what William wants to pay.... Interesting concept, does that work at the gas pump you mention?

The fact is, buying a counterfeit product that infringe on Atlas patents and importing that counterfeit into USA is a crime. You defend it because it benefits you, which is a common denominator with criminals. Do you willingly buy other stolen property? Then go online and brag about it?

"But you have no reason or room to criticize someone else's selection who chooses not to." Really? And you know this how? You William, are being quite reckless with your self righteousness.

Last edited:
"I don't know what it costs them to manufacture it. And I don't care. All I care about is what they charge for it." So in William's world what it costs to manufacturer an item has no bearing on what it sells for, all that matters is what William wants to pay.... Interesting concept, does that work at the gas pump you mention?

The fact is, buying a counterfeit product that infringe on Atlas patents and importing that counterfeit into USA is a crime. You defend it because it benefits you, which is a common denominator with criminals. Do you willingly buy other stolen property? Then go online and brag about it?

"But you have no reason or room to criticize someone else's selection who chooses not to." Really? And you know this how? You William, are being quite reckless with your self righteousness.

OK, so, I would say
welcome2.gif

Since you're new to the forum, but I'm wondering why you joined.

To defend Atlas?

To go after Bill?

To preach?

Because that's what your posts are, and I just don't see the point...

.....all that matters is what William wants to pay.... Interesting concept, does that work at the gas pump you mention?

I can live without a $330.00 bipod. Stupid comparison. But to answer your question, yes it works just the same. I shop for price when I buy gas, the same as when I shop for anything else. People manufacture cheaper fuel, just like they do cheaper bipods.

The fact is, buying a counterfeit product that infringe on Atlas patents and importing that counterfeit into USA is a crime.

You don't listen very well do you? I told you what I bought was a LEGAL REPRODUCTION...... NOT AN ILLEGAL COUNTERFEIT. You either don't know the difference. Or else refuse to accept it. Reproductions are not illegal, and are sold all the time. How many firearms are legally cloned? The shelves of chain auto parts stores in this country are filled with LEGALLY reproduced foreign automotive parts. That are all based on designs from Delphi, Mopar, Delco, and Ford. Women's perfume counters at Walgreens, CVS, and Wal-Mart are filled with reproduction brand name women's colognes and perfumes. That all smell exactly the same as the original brands, but cost several times less.

If this is all so "illegal", and is a "crime", as you so seem to think, why aren't these goods confiscated, and the managers of these stores arrested? The fact is they do not deceive the purchaser by price, or by false branding into thinking they are getting an original, and are all PERFECTLY LEGAL, the same as the bipod I purchased. Your problem is you don't have a single clue as to what you're even talking about.

Astro14, Thank you. And yes, you are right, defend Atlas.

William, "I don't know what it costs them to manufacture it. And I don't care. All I care about is what they charge for it." The gas pump comparison is if you cant justify what is being charged, you steal if from your neighbor.

Oh, I listen, just not to bovine scatology which is what your sharing. I won't listen to your self righteous justification to condoning theft. The counterfeit you bought and shared here is infringing the patents owned by the American company and they are not being compensated for this use.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge on women's perfume, maybe you'll get some you like in a few days.

Astro14, Thank you. And yes, you are right, defend Atlas. William, "I don't know what it costs them to manufacture it. And I don't care. All I care about is what they charge for it." The gas pump comparison is if you cant justify what is being charged, you steal if from your neighbor. Oh, I listen, just not to bovine scatology which is what your sharing. I won't listen to your self righteous justification to condoning theft. The counterfeit you bought and shared here is infringing the patents owned by the American company and they are not being compensated for this use. Thanks for sharing your knowledge on women's perfume, maybe you'll get some you like in a few days.

As I said, you don't have a single clue of what you're even talking about. Now you've proven it...... Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back