Rifle Shipping How To?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My best friend in FL. just recently passed away. His wife told me that he left a rifle to me, if anything were to ever happen to him. I know the rifle has to be shipped FFL to FFL. When it's shipped from FL., does that FFL have to box it to ship it, or does she need to have it boxed? Will her FFL charge her his/her regular FFL fee to ship it? In other words, can someone PLEASE explain the shipping process to me, that has done this before? THANK YOU!

she should be able to box it up and ship it to your ffl unless there is a local law that prohibits it. if not, just have her pack it up in a box that will contain it and take it to a shipper. i beleive , since it is a rifle it can even be sent USPS. i think the shipping stores have special sized boxes that can be purchased that might fit

now you might need to pay your FFL to transfer it to you. if she has a local ffl that might do all of it for a fee it might be a better way to go, but its not needed

So how far are you away from them? i think the law allows the sale of rifles to people in ajoining states so if its not too far you might be just able to drive there and get them. now if it was a handgun its a bit more complicated

Last edited:
Why not just drive there and pick it up. Then you are all set. It’s not like you have to do it soon really. I doubt it’s your case because you aren’t living in a communist block state like me ( all hail Emperor Cuomo, Exhaulted Leader Of The Free Republic Of Neuyorkistan). There now I feel I’ve fulfilled my oath of allegiance
mad.gif
. But still you can get jammed up by the [censored] things when the G word pops up on interstate shipment. Heck even something like some old felony because you buddy joyrider a car and you were with him when he got picked up, you get the picture. Foolish things like that can either be nothing or land you in a jam.
If it was me I’d just call the nearest office of ATF. They might even have it on their web site.

BOF - here are some guidelines straight from the proverbial horses's mouth. Typically, what you will need to do is to find an FFL in LA who will accept a shipment from an individual. Your friend's wife can then ship it directly to your FFL via Fed-Ex or UPS (non-FFL holders cannot ship firearms via USPS across state lines). I have done this a number of times with no issues--just be sure your FFL will accept a shipment from an individual (non-FFL) and you will be all set.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
BOF - here are some guidelines straight from the proverbial horses's mouth. Typically, what you will need to do is to find an FFL in LA who will accept a shipment from an individual. Your friend's wife can then ship it directly to your FFL via Fed-Ex or UPS (non-FFL holders cannot ship firearms via USPS across state lines). I have done this a number of times with no issues--just be sure your FFL will accept a shipment from an individual (non-FFL) and you will be all set.

THANK YOU Sir! I have 2 cousins here in La. that have an FFL, but I can't get in touch with either one. I do know one is offshore until Feb. 15th, and the other is in New Orleans. He always travels around the US as an IT/PROGRAM/PC salesman/tech. If I can't get a hold of either one of those 2, I will have to find an FFL.
BTW, the rifle is a series 180 (1984) RUGER MINI-14, SS RANCHER model. It has a wooden hand guard.

... (non-FFL holders cannot ship firearms via USPS across state lines). ...

Firearms which meet the definition of rifle or shotgun and are not concealable are mailable USPS by an individual but there are explicit rules. If across statelines the recipient must be a licensee (or to oneself incare of another when you a sending your rifle or shotgun ahead for your use, which does not apply in this case.) Unless prohibited by local or state ordinances.

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

The ATF FAQ answer does not fit the question in this case, as the Q "May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service? “ Does not deal with a transfer, yet the A involves a transfer between non-licensees.

Also Fed Ex will send a rifle via ground service unless they changed their rules. Not sure about UPS, never done that. With UPS/Fed-EX she will have to take it to a owned facility and declare it.

Also, though generally non-licensees may not transfer firearms across state lines, you may find ATFs answer to the Q “To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?” to contain an on-point exception.

I found this on the internet;
Shipment by Unlicensed Persons
Any shipper who does not have a Federal Firearms License (FFL) is considered to be an ‘unlicensed person’. This section contains information on how unlicensed persons can ship firearms. If you have an FFL, please skip to the next section for shipping suggestions.

The most important thing to know is that you must only ship guns to a licensed dealer. If the buyer is not a licensed dealer, he will have to make arrangements to ship the item to a dealer in his state.

Before you ship a gun, the buyer must fax or mail you a copy of the dealer’s signed FFL license. You can only ship the gun to the address on the license. You must inform the carrier that the package contains a firearm. Of course, the firearm cannot be shipped loaded; ammunition may not be shipped in the same box. You should take the copy of the signed FFL with you when you take the item to be shipped in case the shipper wishes to see it.

Notes on specific shippers:

US Mail: An unlicensed person can ship a rifle or shotgun by US Mail. Unlicensed persons cannot ship a handgun by US Mail. Postal regulations allow the Post Office to open your package for inspection. Ammunition cannot be shipped by US Mail. You can search the US Post Office Postal Explorer site for specific USPS regulations regarding firearms and ammunition.

I just called my local post master and asked him about shipping a rifle. He stated that my friend can go to her local post office with either a gun case, or a box, whichever she wants to ship it in. Let the post master inspect the rifle, bolt in the open position, before sealing it up. He advised to have insurance put on it. Then, it can be shipped directly to me.
He said he has shipped several rifles and uses a lock type gun case.
Now, I need to find a good lock type gun case. Or, a shipping box. I told her I would pay for it to be shipped to me.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
... (non-FFL holders cannot ship firearms via USPS across state lines). ...
Firearms which meet the definition of rifle or shotgun and are not concealable are mailable USPS by an individual but there are explicit rules. If across statelines the recipient must be a licensee (or to oneself incare of another when you a sending your rifle or shotgun ahead for your use, which does not apply in this case.) Unless prohibited by local or state ordinances.

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

The ATF FAQ answer does not fit the question in this case, as the Q "May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service? “ Does not deal with a transfer, yet the A involves a transfer between non-licensees.

Also Fed Ex will send a rifle via ground service unless they changed their rules. Not sure about UPS, never done that. With UPS/Fed-EX she will have to take it to a owned facility and declare it.
Yes; I typo'ed on that and meant to say "pistols" instead of "firearms". However, having transferred more than a few firearms, I can unequivocally say that while the USPS says that it is permissible, actually doing it is another thing entirely--the hassle is not worth it (from my experience--YMMV), and I live in a "gun friendly" state. Using Fed-Ex or UPS (I normally use Fed-Ex) is a far better solution and experience. Both Fed-Ex and UPS (as of late 2017) will allow a long gun to be sent via ground, but not a pistol. Second day delivery is the "slowest" way for a pistol or "concealable" firearm.

My local post master just sent me this in a email;

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A); 27 CFR 478.31]

My local Florida pawn shop FFL will completely package up a rifle for a modest $15 fee plus the USPS shipping cost. This is the easiest, cost effective way for her to ship the rifle to your dealer. Call about 5-10 of the dealers/pawn shops near her house and see who offers a similar service. My local guy has hundreds of free rifle boxes recycled from previous transfers, so no need to buy a box or packaging.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: Driz
😬see all the answers. And nobody knows whose right yesterday today or tomorrow as some Snowflake Lib gets this or that changed with the mishmash of Fed,State,and local laws. It’s a royal pain which is why I say make it a visit and take them home. Then you have them . While you are at it print a copy of the transfer form and have her sign it pver to you. Then you can register it yourself. While your at it be very thankful you don’t live in a lib state like Neuyorkistan, kommifornia, Taxechussets........ect

Register it?

Why would he register a mini-14?

What's the law in Louisiana?
No registration in Louisiana for any non-Class 3 firearm--meaning you do not have to register "normal" firearms. The process explained above (sans my typo) is what needs to happen to transfer it.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Correction it needs to be shipped to your FFL the law on long guns does not require FFL's at both ends.
Since when? Are you suggesting that I could send you a long gun and you could receive it without an FFL?

Correction it needs to be shipped to your FFL the law on long guns does not require FFL's at both ends.
Since when? Are you suggesting that I could send you a long gun and you could receive it without an FFL?

The FFL only needs to be on your end with maybe the exception for Kalifornication. I have probably received over 20 guns in this manner.

The FFL only needs to be on your end with maybe the exception for Kalifornication. I have probably received over 20 guns in this manner.
Gotcha--thanks for the clarification, I was not sure what you meant. One point to note is that not all FFL's accept shipments from individuals and it is purely at their discretion to decide (at least in these parts).

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
My local Florida pawn shop FFL will completely package up a rifle for a modest $15 fee plus the USPS shipping cost. This is the easiest, cost effective way for her to ship the rifle to your dealer. Call about 5-10 of the dealers/pawn shops near her house and see who offers a similar service. My local guy has hundreds of free rifle boxes recycled from previous transfers, so no need to buy a box or packaging.

What part of FL. is this pawn shop in? My friend lives in Odessa (Pasco County). If it's near her house, please PM me. THANK YOU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back