S&W SD .40

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
I had a bent Slide Stop (still don't know how that happened) on the SD .40.

Took it to my gunshop who sent it to S&W.

Recently returned with the following note from S&W;

Replaced Slide Stop,
Polished Barrel and Chamber,
Range Tested.

Total Cost $10.00. Gun was over three years old.

I think S&W is a great company and I sure like my M&P-15 as well.

Last edited:
When my 5906 was several years old, it started to have malfunctions. I didn't know much about guns, then, so, I called S&W. They had me send it to them via a dealer. They replaced the extractor and extractor spring, and included an invoice much like the above, with some tests and other services performed, and at similar cost, that of shipping only.

This was in roughly 1995, so, I would say that S&W not only has great service, but a history of great service.

I think it's great for an engineering design & reliability perspective to see how product is doing in the field & maintain a customer base with minimal cost.

I haven't been impressed with S&W quality control as of late, but their customer service is second only to Ruger in my experience.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
I haven't been impressed with S&W quality control as of late, but their customer service is second only to Ruger in my experience.

Bingo, Smith does well in customer service second only to Ruger IMO. Never needed their service but they have a great reputation, and years ago were very helpful to me when I was trying to locate a rare current production gun (pre-internet days). I don't own a Smith right now but need to fix that. The first 13 years of my LEO career I bet my life on a Smith & Wesson every day.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

Bingo, Smith does well in customer service second only to Ruger IMO. Never needed their service but they have a great reputation, and years ago were very helpful to me when I was trying to locate a rare current production gun (pre-internet days). I don't own a Smith right now but need to fix that. The first 13 years of my LEO career I bet my life on a Smith & Wesson every day.

If you get a new S&W wheelgun, really really check it over well before accepting it. My last two were not right from new. A 638 was locked up because they didn't screw in the ejector rod all the way. The second, a 67 was out of time right from the box on two chambers. Had to send that one in and wait two months for it to be fixed. Also check the barrel as some are not centered properly.

Glock, S&W, Ruger are about the same..all great (in my experience).

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Replaced Slide Stop,
Range Tested.

$10? It's supposed to have a LIFETIME WARRANTY on it.
21.gif

I own a SD9. I will go up against ANY Glock G19 out there, as far as dependability, accuracy, warranty, whatever! Yes, the G19 is the best seller of all Glock models, and well known world wide. I really do respect that. But, I also respect my SD9. And, with my life as well.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Replaced Slide Stop,
Range Tested.

$10? It's supposed to have a LIFETIME WARRANTY on it.
21.gif

I own a SD9. I will go up against ANY Glock G19 out there, as far as dependability, accuracy, warranty, whatever! Yes, the G19 is the best seller of all Glock models, and well known world wide. I really do respect that. But, I also respect my SD9. And, with my life as well.

Yes, the $10.00 was due to the shipping fee.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

If you get a new S&W wheelgun, really really check it over well before accepting it. My last two were not right from new. A 638 was locked up because they didn't screw in the ejector rod all the way. The second, a 67 was out of time right from the box on two chambers. Had to send that one in and wait two months for it to be fixed. Also check the barrel as some are not centered properly.

Sad but true Smith has apparently forgotten how to build revolvers, ironically they make a fabulous 1911 and their Glock inspired M and P's are serious contenders in the category.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back