Looking for a mid sized MPG friendly sedan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok boys... looking for a used $15kish used sedan that's mpg friendly for a third vehicle. Mostly looked at Camrys in the 2012-2016 range. Owned Hondas for years so I've looked around for some ~2012-2015 Accords. Don't know much about the Subarus or Mazda6s. Willing to listen. Any feedback from owners?

Last edited:
How about a used Kia Optima? I have a 2011 that I purchased new and have not had any issues. If you get a newer one you can still get the balance of the five years warranty.

A Gen 8 Accord probably offers the most interior and truck space in this class and will deliver good fuel economy in typical use. I can average 30 mpg in ours in DD use and even in a very cold week on winter blend fuel, you'll still see around 28 mpg.
Our '12 has needed nothing beyond oil changes and a set of tires to date. It has yet to need brakes. It's now at 82K.

Tdi passat
grin.gif

vw’s 2.5 nonturbo 5 cylinder had an awful reputation among car review mavens, but i find mine to be reliable, fast and economical. hand calculated i get 24mpg city, 28 mpg surburbs and 35 mpg hiway. lots of interior room. great hiway cruiser, 2100rpm at 70mph. downsides are low resale value, but obviously not if you will drive it to its end, quirky electronics, but my s has none, and stuck with vw-specific oils though i have gotten advice here that other high quality oils may be ok for this non turbo. cpo passats are low priced.

Originally Posted By: jstert
vw’s 2.5 nonturbo 5 cylinder had an awful reputation among car review mavens, but i find mine to be reliable, fast and economical. hand calculated i get 24mpg city, 28 mpg surburbs and 35 mpg hiway. lots of interior room. great hiway cruiser, 2100rpm at 70mph. downsides are low resale value, but obviously not if you will drive it to its end, quirky electronics, but my s has none, and stuck with vw-specific oils though i have gotten advice here that other high quality oils may be ok for this non turbo. cpo passats are low priced.

The 5 cylinder was a great engine IMO, but I would go for a year newer to get the 1.8T engine. Has the same down low power with better fuel economy.

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
What kind of highway MPG are you really looking for ?

~25/35 city/hwy Also, the reason I'm picking midsize is due to a need of running around a little one or two should there be a need. Typically that will be reserved for my truck but you never know.

How about a 2010 Mercedes E550? About 15k. V8 power with 383hp.

https://www.donhattan.com/inventory/used-2010-mercedes-benz-e-class-e-550-4matic%C2%AE-4d-sedan-wddhf9ab0aa089317

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
A Gen 8 Accord probably offers the most interior and truck space in this class and will deliver good fuel economy in typical use. I can average 30 mpg in ours in DD use and even in a very cold week on winter blend fuel, you'll still see around 28 mpg.
Our '12 has needed nothing beyond oil changes and a set of tires to date. It has yet to need brakes. It's now at 82K.

What kind of driving do you do? I only get 21 MPG driving city.

Used Sonata's are pretty cheap (cheaper than I'd like honestly, degrades my resale value). Nick1994 picked a nice one up for cheap a while back, which is what I wish I had done vs. the debt on a new one. Oh well, live and learn.

A used Passat or Jetta would be in that price range, and with the 1.8 TSI can return some pretty high MPG's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back