red means don't go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: eljefino
red means don't go

Yeah, but, if no one's looking...
smile.gif

That is really a stupid idea.

Sadly a huge portion of traffic lights in my area are photo monitored. Going down the Main Street near me at night you see the strobe flashes of cars getting caught. It’s a bit of a light show.

Well, those posts have to be lubed periodically as well, I suppose. Next question is, what do those posts prefer? 0w-20, or 0w-40? Synthetic, or dino?

Maybe the driver of that blue van just arrived here and comes from someplace where they don't have electric stop lights.

He might be the kind of driver that at metering lights on freeway on-ramps can't count to 2. Or, he might be the driver that knows the sign that states "No turn on RED" is for everyone else but not him.

You don't have to worry about that blue van. Its driving range has been shortened a bit by what appears to be an oil leak. Once the oil runs out he'll have to switch to unemployment and welfare and maybe an EBT card. Remember, especially in California that once you get the sack you never go back.

They got rid of red light cameras in my area. Something about the camera company was making out better than the city, so that made the city mad or something.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
They got rid of red light cameras in my area. Something about the camera company was making out better than the city, so that made the city mad or something.
Same here. The fines were huge. Like $400 of it went to the camera company and $29 to the city.

Those things are a serious menace and truly have no place on public roads. The guy in the van was lucky it was only the oil pan/engine that was damaged. It could have been his life.

There have been plenty of horrific bollard crashes and worst of all, injuries to the kids in the car. Tourists in particular may not read the language, and may not even understand these things exist.

Originally Posted By: 28oz
Well, those posts have to be lubed periodically as well, I suppose. Next question is, what do those posts prefer? 0w-20, or 0w-40? Synthetic, or dino?

An epoxy resin could be a good choice, if they are "down" for long enough for it to penetrate and set. Failing that, perhaps a bottle of HCL toilet cleaner?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Those things are a serious menace and truly have no place on public roads. The guy in the van was lucky it was only the oil pan/engine that was damaged. It could have been his life.

There have been plenty of horrific bollard crashes and worst of all, injuries to the kids in the car. Tourists in particular may not read the language, and may not even understand these things exist.

Agreed.
This seems like a really bad idea that is bound to cause more accidents than it will prevent.

Recklessness or maliciousness as well as severe detachment on the part of the driver.

Or he could've just made a mistake. But he made it with someone else's property.

UK? Only place where I've seen retractable bollards and a full sized van with a manual transmission.

They still have them here. A lot of drivers gripe because the cities shorten the amber light sequence. Even if just by fractions of a second they nab more drivers. One area city has a zero tolerance law for school zone speeds. If you are going 1moh over the limit you get photo tagged and fines are doubled.

There is a 4 way intersection I drive through twice daily. I noticed they have cameras for red light runners in the straight lane, but if someone runs the red arrow long after it turns from green to red in the turning lane nothing happens. Often my light will turn green to go straight ahead but I have to lay on the horn while cars continue to go through the oncoming turn lane in front of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back