Running the same Brand type weight oil consitantly

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have always felt that I wanted to stay with the same Oil (same brand, type, weight) throughout the life of the car, if it is continually made. For example my 02 Lincoln LS Sport V8 has only had Ford Motorcraft sys blend 5w-20 all 258k miles with Zero engine problems to date.

Without any tested scientific proof just had the feeling that the wear would be consistent, and the fact that Advanced and Auto Zone normally had it on sale about $22 including the Ford Motorcraft filter.

I noticed lots here switch oils alot and also recommend whatever is on sale or best price. I have at times over the last 2 years thought about switching to a full sys oil in the Lincoln that Lincoln specifies a blend in knowing it wouldn't hurt, but thought at this point that Motorcraft Blend did its job. Over last 3 years I have changed it myself every 3500 - 4000 miles, beings its only $22 incl the ord filter.

With that what are the thoughts about any advantage in using the same good oil entire life of car, on any car? Thanks

You’ll get differing opinions on this but here’s mine. I always stick with the viscosity and specs recommended by the manufacturer for the life of the vehicle. However, I’ve had no issues with switching between brands and dino/syn-blend/full synthetic oils.

I have used nothing but Pennzoil in all my cars for the last 45 yrs, whatever the mfg recommends is what i put in, i have no need to impulse buy whatever oil is on sale or mix various oil weights thinking i'm gonna get that magic blend.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: jgscott
So I have always felt that I wanted to stay with the same Oil (same brand, type, weight) throughout the life of the car, if it is continually made. For example my 02 Lincoln LS Sport V8 has only had Ford Motorcraft sys blend 5w-20 all 258k miles with Zero engine problems to date.

Without any tested scientific proof just had the feeling that the wear would be consistent, and the fact that Advanced and Auto Zone normally had it on sale about $22 including the Ford Motorcraft filter.

I noticed lots here switch oils alot and also recommend whatever is on sale or best price. I have at times over the last 2 years thought about switching to a full sys oil in the Lincoln that Lincoln specifies a blend in knowing it wouldn't hurt, but thought at this point that Motorcraft Blend did its job. Over last 3 years I have changed it myself every 3500 - 4000 miles, beings its only $22 incl the ord filter.

With that what are the thoughts about any advantage in using the same good oil entire life of car, on any car? Thanks

I had a 2001 Ford Taurus that I got over 215k on. The torque converter went bad and I didn't feel like fixing it as the car wasn't worth it. The engine was fine though. Used all different sorts of oils over the 12 years that I had it. Motorcraft, Mobil, Shell, whatever Jiffy Lube had, and whatever oil was on sale. Even did some 5w30 sometime as it was on sale/free after rebate. I normally did 5k oil changes, but occasionally let it go to 8k. As long as you change the oil on a regular basis and use oil that meets spec, it doesn't matter what oil you use. Sticking to one type is somewhat OCD.

I have pretty much stuck with one brand throughout the life of my cars. The idea of buying the cheapest oil on sale at the moment is fine but it’s actually easier for me to stay with one brand and focus on sales of that brand when they happen.

It’s the same theory as going to one store for all your shopping vs going to one store for cheaper produce and another for their meat and so on.

A lot of opinions will follow.

Mine, well, so long as you are using an oil with the correct spec's for the vehicle and changing on a regular basis, brand really will make no difference.
Your Lincoln, while having only Motorcraft branded oil has had several different oils run through it, since you started on SL (possibly SJ oil) and are now on SN. Really different oil than what you started on.
Some talk of additive clash, but I have not seen any hard evidence of issues with it.

I am a "use what is cheapest" oil guy. Why spend $22 on an oil change when you can get it for $10 (or less).
The last oil change I did I was paid $1 ($9 clearance QSUD jug, had a $10 rebate, had a filter given to me).
Using a different oil (or same oil) each oil change really will make no difference. It may make you feel good inside, but your engine won't care.

I purposefully change it up every single oil change, just for the heck of it. For the most part, IMO, oil is oil, I figured I might as well keep it interesting and try something new each time. I only use clearance oil and have a decent stash so it isnt hard to come up with a new combo.

Despite the endless hours of discussion here, experience teaches that as long as you’ve got something on the dipstick, your street car will live a long life.

Oil formulations change. New API specs are introduced every few years, etc. So even if you use the same brand/type of oil for years, that oil probably isn't the same oil it was 6 or 7 years ago.

After a few years of oil sampling, I've stayed with one brand that has always given me the best results and didn't look back, that is all things M1 EP. Run all my cars out to about 14K and then change it. Even my smaller engines and boat motor gets M1. Got burned out reading about this oil does that, this oil does this....just use M1 for everything. Heck, I even put it on my door hinges in the house if they start squeaking!!! Good for 15k open and shuts!!!!

Originally Posted By: jgscott

You've reached 258,000 miles. What is your ultimate goal? I'd stick with the syn blend and use this as a shining example that everyone is too OCD about their oil. Not only are you not using a full synthetic oil, you are using a 5W-20 which is blasphemy to the high vis guys. Notice how OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) and OCI (Oil Change Interval) have almost the same letters.

I am cheering for you. Take it to 500,000 miles and send us a note!

SF

Many years ago when I was selling office equipment I was selling the owner of a rather large construction company that owned lots of heavy equipment from dozers, backhoes, dump trucks, etc inc a fleet of Chevy pick up trucks. I asked him what oil do you use in all the equipment? He told me it's interesting you should ask we just finished with a five year study on motor oil testing sending many samples for oil analysis over a long time. He said long story short we noticed little wear difference in the group of vehicles that we switched oil brands with and little difference between running synthetic vs conventional oil. He did say that one set of vehicles that showed the lowest wear after tear down was running one specific oil its entire life..... However he said the difference in wear was never significant. He said think of it this way picture an Olympic size swimming pool now throw in a cup of red dye has the water changed in color much? No! Nothing you could notice. That's what the wear difference amounted to it is just insignificant.

Thanks for sharing this story again Camprunner! As I read this thread earlier, I remembered your story (in general), but couldn't remember enough of the details. I'm glad you filled in the details for me.

The 2001 Volvo in my signature with over 220K miles has used all of the following oils:
  • Whatever the dealer used
  • Mobil 1 5w30
  • Mobil 1 10 w30
  • Mobil 1 0w30 AFE
  • Mobil 1 5w30 High Mileage
  • Mobil 1 10w30 High Mileage
  • Mobil 1 0w40
  • Castrol Edge Titanium 5w30
  • Penzoil 5w30 High Mileage
That comes to at least eight different oils in four different viscosities. The car continues to run well; feel free to draw your own conclusions.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Oil formulations change. New API specs are introduced every few years, etc. So even if you use the same brand/type of oil for years, that oil probably isn't the same oil it was 6 or 7 years ago.

That's why you have to hoard oil from the same batch.
wink.gif

If you do UOA then VOA background would probably be more consistent. You couldn't be sure they wouldn't switch the recipe on you, but you might find out when they did.

Otherwise, it seems to be another job for Universal Answer Man

It doesn't matter. Please yourself.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Many years ago when I was selling office equipment I was selling the owner of a rather large construction company that owned lots of heavy equipment from dozers, backhoes, dump trucks, etc inc a fleet of Chevy pick up trucks. I asked him what oil do you use in all the equipment? He told me it's interesting you should ask we just finished with a five year study on motor oil testing sending many samples for oil analysis over a long time. He said long story short we noticed little wear difference in the group of vehicles that we switched oil brands with and little difference between running synthetic vs conventional oil. He did say that one set of vehicles that showed the lowest wear after tear down was running one specific oil its entire life..... However he said the difference in wear was never significant. He said think of it this way picture an Olympic size swimming pool now throw in a cup of red dye has the water changed in color much? No! Nothing you could notice. That's what the wear difference amounted to it is just insignificant.

But that does prove my thought. Especially long term. That little difference long term to me could matter.

FYI: To all: The Lincoln LS 3.9 V8 motor is actually a Jaguar engine. And its mostly Forged internals.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Oil is oil. lets promote misconceptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back