Opinions on Mopar Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what is the opinion of Mopar oil filters? I have several Mopar cars and I have always used the factory spec filters. But is there something available that would be better? I am not opposed to changing brands if it is better for the engines. Thanks

They are more expensive that other filters. On my 2015 caravan dealer price was over $13 with taxes. I can get a Wix for half that price. Fram XF in rockauto is less than $9 before shipping and taxes.

For spin on ones, I think they are Purolator made and you can likely do better. FWIW, I'm running one on my 96 Cherokee now and the oil pressure seems more stable, so it'll be interesting to cut that one open and see if it's any good.

For cartridge ones, Mopar is all I use. 1. For the warranty 2. Aftermarket ones are sometimes slightly too long and deform in the housing 3. Price, I get the Mopar one for like $7 at my dealer, so it's the same as what a Wix or something would be locally.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Does it matter I haven't owned a Mopar product since my 1975 Dodge my last New car purchase mistake I'll never make again.

No, it doesn't matter. Over that past 7 years (and 80,000 miles driven), I've had two Chrysler products, both purchased used.
Over that amount of time and miles, each one has only needed one repair shop visit.
I'm sorry, but 1975 was a really long time ago. Each and every manufacturer had their awful issues back then.

Back to the topic at hand, I've used Mopar filters in the past, bought at W*M. No concerns at all.

Now, I use the SuperTech filters since they're sourced from Wix, and priced at $2.84 each (even for the cartridge models).

How many hundreds of thousands of miles are you planning on driving any of these vehicles? In Michigan, when it comes to the longevity of a vehicle, I'd honestly be more worried about frame rot and rotten brake lines, before worrying if an OEM filter is doing a sufficient job.

Does it matter I haven't owned a Mopar product since my 1975 Dodge my last New car purchase mistake I'll never make again.

Bad experience 43 years ago is good for me.

Thanks for the input. So maybe there are better filters at a lower price but no real blockbuster reason to change. In 15 years I have had no warranty claims and only one repair, a faulty seat belt retractor at 11 years. I think I will stick with Mopar.

Originally Posted By: Building3
Thanks for the input. So maybe there are better filters at a lower price but no real blockbuster reason to change. In 15 years I have had no warranty claims and only one repair, a faulty seat belt retractor at 11 years. I think I will stick with Mopar.

I wouldn't use Purolator made mopar filters if you paid me. Total junk

My experience with Mopar filters is limited to my 2003 Jeep and my brother's 2016 Jeep.

They both functioned as anticipated.

I will say the Mopar Pentastar filters are highly regarded here though. About the only time a Purolator filter is recommended.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I will say the Mopar Pentastar filters are highly regarded here though. About the only time a Purolator filter is recommended.

I thought Wix made the cartridge filter for the Pentastar.

Originally Posted By: newtoncd8

Pretty sure they are made by Hengst. Either way, the MO-349 and MO-744 are great filters, both can be had at WM for around $9.

Most of what came out of 'Detroit' in those years was junk. Had a 76 Gran Fury, 400cid, issued, lasted 40,000 miles before it started drinking oil. Got a '80 Chevy Caprice next, and it lasted 80,000 to the trade list. Wasn't until the 1990s that our cars could actually look forward to rolling over 100K. My POV is a 1992 Explorer, 4.0 liter 'frankenstein' drive train - rolled the odometer twice, and it's at 63,000(something) again. IME, I'd never see that in cars from the 70s.

I've run multiple Mopar MO-899 oil filters on my 5.7L Hemi without issue. They're my oil filter of choice for winter operation of my truck based on firsthand personal experience. I always get them on some sort of sale, most I've paid for one is $5. The everyday shelf price is high but that's true of many oil filters.

Originally Posted By: newtoncd8

Wix and Purolator are Mann products now. I haven't discovered the difference between the two.

just in case somebody drives a cummins...mopar filter for cummins is a fleetguard. its a very good filter for that application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back