Not happy with Autolite plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
50K ago I put some Autolite Double Platinum plugs in my Jeep because the People of the Jeep boards really liked them. Said they would last 100k easily.

Lately the Jeep hasn't been running well. No codes but I knew something was not right. Pulled a plug to see if anything was going on there.

Found the Platinum tip completely gone from 2 of the plugs. Gap is supposed to be .035 but these 2 were .060.

When I installed them I did check the gap but I did not force the gap tool into the Platinum.I checked the gap very easily as to not damage them.

I hope the Platinum tips didn't do any damage when they left the scene.

Replaced them with NGK plugs. Power and running good is back.

From my time at Pepboys, I found out that some Jeeps of that vintage came with NGK's from the factory so I'm not surprised that was the issue. Some Jeep owners were surprised when I told them the NGK's were the original part. Others really didn't care.

Iridium last 100,000 miles. I wouldn't expect a Platinum to last quite that long.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up. Autolite had this problem some years ago also but they seemed to have it taken care of, now apparently the problem has returned.
Note to self: Autolite = Add to do not use parts list.
lol.gif

On a race weekend, we could go through a minimum of 64, and up to 128 Autolite spark plugs. A failure is very rare.

I stick with Autolite plugs in Ford applications, NGK in all others. Champion, never. That seems to have worked for the past 40+ years, for 'me.'

I just buy the $2 Champions and change them more often, no issues so far. About a 10 minute job on a 4.0L

Originally Posted By: THafeez
From my time at Pepboys, I found out that some Jeeps of that vintage came with NGK's from the factory so I'm not surprised that was the issue. Some Jeep owners were surprised when I told them the NGK's were the original part. Others really didn't care.
mine had champions from the factory. Champion is now making the plugs in India. I feel that QC may be pretty bad from there. The NGK were made in japan

Autolite is now 100% Mexican or Chinese made, the ones I've seen at Wal-Mart were Chinese for the coppers and Mexican for the rest. Bosch has been making plugs in India for a while.

I don't drive anything that uses Autolite or Champion from the factory - and while I do trust their OEM plugs(Motorcraft or ACDelco), the aftermarket ones might be made on a different production run or line. My instinct is NGK or Denso in almost anything.

Looks like I'll be using NGK or Denso also. These companies really shoot themselves in the foot by sourcing outside the USA. If I have to buy imported, I'll buy from Japan where at least the quality is decent.

Autolites should never be put in a Jeep, much less a 4.0.

Stick with Champion copper's and change them at 30k. Easy peasy.

Originally Posted By: 14Accent
Autolites should never be put in a Jeep, much less a 4.0.

Stick with Champion copper's and change them at 30k. Easy peasy.

Ran my Jeep 4.0L with Autolites never an issue. Used Copper the first time and then double platinums. I run Autolites in my 78 and 79 Jeep CJ7's....never an issue. I just put Autolite Iridium XP's in the wifes 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee...so far, 4k miles and again - no issues.

Originally Posted By: nthach
My instinct is NGK or Denso in almost anything.

The only reason I would not use those two brands is if they did not make a plug for my application. I use them for all my vehicles and never had a problem. All the plugs I bought have been made in Japan or assembled in USA with Japanese components.

I hate using Chinese or Indian auto parts.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Iridium last 100,000 miles. I wouldn't expect a Platinum to last quite that long.

So does platinum. The key to the longevity to either alloy tipped plug is the ground electrode. the 100,000 mile ones have a platinum disc on the ground electrode also. Some of the "Twin tip" plugs have iridium also on the ground electrode.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Originally Posted By: ZZman

So does platinum. The key to the longevity to either alloy tipped plug is the ground electrode. the 100,000 mile ones have a platinum disc on the ground electrode also. Some of the "Twin tip" plugs have iridium also on the ground electrode.

You beat me to it. A basic platinum plug (such as an autolite platinum) will usually last 50k miles on average. The double platinum plugs will go 100k average.

The factory Delco's that came in my 98 chevy truck with the 5.7L were platinum plugs that had the platinum discs on the side electrode. I checked the plugs early on and several had the platinum discs already missing. I switched to the Delco Rapidfire plugs they had at the time.

On this last plug change, I went with the Delco iridium replacement plug for this engine and it runs very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back