That's the end of F1 as we know it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
"While the practice of employing grid girls has been a staple of Formula 1 grands prix for decades, we feel this custom does not resonate with our brand values and clearly is at odds with modern day societal norms," Bratches added.

A snowflake got loose somewhere in F1. Is there no end to this stupidity?

Thread title seems like a bit of an exaggeration...

I'll admit that I find cheerleaders attractive, but I doubt I would miss them in any sport. I don't remember ever being rev'd up by any of the cheerleaders back when I played football - might have been because we sucked and they didn't have much to cheer for, though!
crackmeup2.gif

Yes, I watch F1 mostly for the grid girls...
crazy.gif

I always thought lining the hallways behind the podium with dozens of girls mechanically smiling and clapping was just kind of awkward anyways. Makes no difference to me if they are there or not.
I know if I had a daughter we would have a conversation on why "grid girls" and their like are around.

Any of you grid girl supporters like to explain why they are so important to you?

The drivers should hire the grid girls to be in their pit crews.

One thing that I've always liked about baseball is the lack of cheerleaders...not that I don't like to look at beautiful women, but they just had nothing to do with the sport. Of course, some teams hire attractive women to collect balls in foul territory, but at least they actually do something involved in the game to a minor extent and don't run on the field to interrupt things and shake their stuff. I believe the Cubbies may have started this trend with Marla Collins back in the '80s, not sure...she became a minor star in the area and then got fired for posing in Playboy.

Oh, cry me a [censored] river.

We might agree that this was an unnecessary step to take, but seriously, who cares? It's auto racing, not softcore.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
seriously, who cares? It's auto racing, not softcore.

Yep. You wanna see skin, go to a strip club. It's cheaper than an F1/NFL ticket anyway.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Yes, I watch F1 mostly for the grid girls...
crazy.gif

Any of you grid girl supporters like to explain why they are so important to you?

I guess different people have different level of attraction to girls. I, for one, is very much attracted to girls not only grid girls.

Of course I don't watch F1 only for the grid girls but if I spot the attractive ones I would rewind and pause to check them out. Same for the cheerleaders.

No, it's not the end of F1 literally but the way they go about axing it is the end of F1.

Quote:
"While the practice of employing grid girls has been a staple of Formula 1 grands prix for decades, we feel this custom does not resonate with our brand values and clearly is at odds with modern day societal norms," Bratches added.

"We don't believe the practice is appropriate or relevant to Formula 1 and its fans, old and new, across the world."

He's not wrong.

It doesn't any difference either way but lets be honest no one is forcing the girls to do that job. I would dare say there are more applicant than positions. Whats next an attack on Hooters girls for their own good?

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
That sounds sexist or are they going to announce Grid Boys shortly?

They did it and they received criticism the other way around; "objectification of male". I think they also did one with "grid kids" and that didn't go well either.

If they can't please everyone then why not keep the status quo and please the majority?

Originally Posted By: newbe46
If they can't please everyone then why not keep the status quo and please the majority?

Do you not realize the can of worms you can open with a statement like that?

Originally Posted By: Trav
It doesn't any difference either way but lets be honest no one is forcing the girls to do that job. I would dare say there are more applicant than positions. Whats next an attack on Hooters girls for their own good?

It has nothing to do with those particular girls, but the practice of objectifying women in general nowadays.

Now what are those beautiful but ultimately unskilled ladies going to do now that they can't coast thru life on their looks alone? I'd sue F1 for sexual discrimination and lost wages... it's not like they can otherwise get a job working in F1! The boys won't let them in the front office! /tongue-in-cheek
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted By: newbe46

Do you not realize the can of worms you can open with a statement like that?

I do realize that and this is why I bring it up in the first place. I will also further add that it is not very likely those type of people who support ditching the grid girl would pay much attention to F1 comparing those who do prefer the grid girls.

For example, the veganists, the environmentalists, and etc, probably won't be catching the show having a quinoa kale salad? A bit generalizing but you get the point.

Originally Posted By: Trav

A snowflake got loose somewhere in F1. Is there no end to this stupidity?

Couldn't agree more...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back