Ratchet Strap Broken Transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few months back, I decided to investigate the bad transmission mount that my F350 has had for as long as I can remember (I was recently given the truck). What I found wasn't a bad transmission mount, but that the mounting ears had broken off the case.

This is a VERY common problem on the Ford Truck ZF-5 transmissions. It looks like the bolt that holds it to the mount reacts with the aluminum transmission case and pops the ears off.

I'm having a VERY hard time finding another transmission for the truck. Until I find another transmission - would it be advisable to just ratchet strap the transmission down? There's a few NP435 / NP205 combinations locally but I can't find any clear solution to getting that to bolt to the Modular bellhousing. Otherwise, I'd be on that ASAP.

I've seen a few fixes where people have tig welded solid blocks to the bottom of the transmission. Ideally, I'd find another trans to temporarily stick in it, then get this one fixed and swap back.

Any reason to not ratchet strap it down? Exhaust and driveshafts should be clear of the area. I'm afraid of cracking the bellhousing with the transmission bouncing around.

I don't see why that wouldn't work just tighten it firmly so the mount still reacts properly.
I don't know what it looks like but maybe a well made heavy stock wide SS band with ears on it over the transmission tail would be a permanent solution. I don't know but I would find some way of repairing it.

Here's a few pictures of it. I will say that I use this truck to tow / haul frequently.

0d17leI.png

g7bo5TB.jpg

Or use a chain and long bolts , nuts , washers & lock washers .

Or bend a length of all thread rod .

Or an " L " shaped piece of metal with a hole in it ( on top of the aluminum " foot " ) for a bolt to go theough . Put a nit & washer on the bottom of the rustu mount .

Wow that casting wall is thin, someone didn't have their skull cap on tight when they designed that. I can see that being a repeat failure even if you replaced the transmission. Time to get the fabrication hat on and make it right with quality materials.
Done right it can look great and be fully functional and strong, you may able to even sell them. LOL

A hernia truss. Straps, wedges chain, threaded rod. Fabricate something out of flatstock and keep the plans. Trav is right, Poor engineering. Ford runs on the edge of cheap metallurgy, again. My bias. . You don't have problems like this with a BMW
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andyd
A hernia truss. Straps, wedges chain, threaded rod. Fabricate something out of flatstock and keep the plans. Trav is right, Poor engineering. Ford runs on the edge of cheap metallurgy, again. My bias. . You don't have problems like this with a BMW
grin2.gif

The transmission is more BMW than Ford
wink.gif
It's made by ZF.

I happened to fire up car-part after posting this and found a non broken ZF-5 with modular bellhousing for $300. Has almost 300K miles on it, but I can get it rebuilt as long as the case is good.

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister

Or an " L " shaped piece of metal with a hole in it ( on top of the aluminum " foot " ) for a bolt to go theough . Put a nit & washer on the bottom of the rustu mount .

That's actually something I was considering doing.

I've towed a few thousand miles with the transmission like this before I noticed it was bad ...

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I would think a good welder could weld that w/o removing the tranny from the truck. Maybe get an opinion from a welder?

I have a friend who does aluminum fabrication. He absolutely can put the ear back on but wouldn't be able to do as good of a job as he would like with the transmission in the truck.

If this one can be fixed, I'll hold on to it as a spare. I'm sure I (or someone else ) will need one of these transmissions.

That truck has pretty low miles right?

I agree with taking it to a welder, who knows it could be really quick and cheap to fix it.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
The truck has 63000 miles on it. But the engine has 215000.

Wow. The winter salt was not kind to it.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back