Tax Filing Websites (TaxAct, TaxSlayer, TurboTax)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goodness have all of these gone up in price over the years? I've been a regular TaxAct user but now it seems the price to file Federal Itemized + State is going to be around $55.

I swear that it was around $18 a few years ago.. maybe back when they did Federal filings for free?

But I checked some comparisons and all others actually cost more than TaxAct.

I have always liked to download my software and do it local as opposed to using their webforms, so when I saw that TaxAct was $64 this year I had to do a double take. I looked in my account history and sure enough, it was $40 last year and a few years before that, and then from $19-29 before that.

I don't guess I blame them, keeping up with the US tax code is probably a nightmare that never ends for them and they've got to get paid, but yikes.

Originally Posted By: ctechbob
I have always liked to download my software and do it local as opposed to using their webforms, so when I saw that TaxAct was $64 this year I had to do a double take. I looked in my account history and sure enough, it was $40 last year and a few years before that, and then from $19-29 before that.

I don't guess I blame them, keeping up with the US tax code is probably a nightmare that never ends for them and they've got to get paid, but yikes.

Thanks Bob. Those prices sound about right from what I recall. I've enjoyed using TaxAct since they store all previous years, and it makes it a breeze to file each time, but if they keep raising the price then I'll have to start going with whoever is cheapest.

Been using turbotax for probably a decade now. It used to be about $25.00, but the last few years it is about $50.00, Still way cheaper than going to Liberty or HR block.The tax people at those places do not know any more about taxes than I do... all they do is pump #s into a computer program like Turbo and then charge $150 or more. I despise doing taxes and always put it off till the last day, but turbo tax auto populates most of the data from previous years. I have yet to buy a turbo this year yet, but I saw an ad somewhere in our mail that had turbo for $59.00 so it has went up no doubt. I suspect it is higher this year because they had to factor in the new tax laws and had only a couple of months to do it before the new software was pushed out for sale.

I buy HR Block from Amazon. But I need to pay extra for a second state as I live in one state and work in another. The second state is as much as the whole things was to begin with.

Credit Karma has free web based income tax software.

Our president promised we could do it on a postcard??

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Goodness have all of these gone up in price over the years? I've been a regular TaxAct user but now it seems the price to file Federal Itemized + State is going to be around $55.

I swear that it was around $18 a few years ago.. maybe back when they did Federal filings for free?

But I checked some comparisons and all others actually cost more than TaxAct.

Inflation!

Credit karma is completely free, you just need to set up an account with them, which is also free. They make their money by advertising credit card offers based on your credit. You have no obligations. Worked great for me.

Used the free TurboTax app on my phone. When I put my basic info in, it asked if I wanted to import all my docs automatically from the Canadian Revenue Agency. I said "yes", docs imported. Checked they were all there, done. Took less than 10 mins.

I've used freetaxusa for many years now and the prices are by far, much better than the other websites. Free federal but you pay for state, something like $13 or so.

I use H&R Block the free addition(state & fed) and e-file with direct deposit works great!!!!!

Costs me nothing.

Originally Posted By: Brett776
Credit karma is completely free, you just need to set up an account with them, which is also free. They make their money by advertising credit card offers based on your credit. You have no obligations. Worked great for me.

I used credit karma last year and the software is very similar to turbo tax which I used prior to last year. Absolutely FREE to do both federal and state taxes!

I'm using the online version of Turbo Tax. It's costing me $0. Granted out tax return is not difficult, just Social Security payments and savings interest. Both Federal and State are free. Why are others having to pay? Is it that your returns are more involved and more complicated?

Originally Posted By: wormwood1978
I've used freetaxusa for many years now and the prices are by far, much better than the other websites. Free federal but you pay for state, something like $13 or so.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back