'88 GMC from some guy's backyard

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was almost exactly one year ago that I got this barely running pile of truck out of some guy's backyard. I actually drove it 30 miles home, despite having no TV cable, a broken accessory drive bracket, no exhaust system, and an engine that would idle fine but wouldn't do much else other than smoke.

truckytruck.jpg

The original window sticker was folded up with the owner's manual. It suggests that it has lived its entire life in and around this town. Old registrations show that the first owner was a paper comapny for at least the first ten years of its life. The odometer reads 109K, and I almost believe it, but it doesn't really matter.

GMC_WINDOW_STICKER.jpg

It passed to at least two other owners before I got it, and they negleted it pretty badly.
For example, these are the U-bolts that were holding the rear axle on:

20180130_145637.jpg

I have worked on it nearly every weekend, and it is finally what I would say is mechanically sound and reliable. The major components were okay, but nearly every sensor, electrical circuit, and fluid needed attention. Everything on the TBI unit, the fuel pump, and the entire steering linkage was bad.
Now that it is reliable, I have finally been able to work on other things, such as throwing a mini-spool in the rear end and painting it red (very important). I also threw on some 1.5" lift blocks when I replaced the scary U-bolts, and leveled the front torsion bars to match. Nothing crazy here.

gmc_minispool2.jpg

It is a truck for the woods. I have several acres of wooded land that need work, and this is the land truck. I need it to be reliable and not get stuck in the mud out there. Next on the list is finishing the exhaust system with a complete tailpipe, a new set of mud tires on a second set of freshly painted steel wheels, and a new tool box for the bed. Believe it or not, I even did an R134a conversion and had the A/C working, but then it all leaked out the front compressor seal. So it will get a new compressor before this summer. Land truck.
cool.gif

That's awesome! That's a real truck. Glad to see it get another lease on life, keep posting pics please!

That body style is a future classic. Very clean. Love the short bed and 4WD.

Perfect candidate for a junkyard LS/LQ swap...
wink.gif

Tall skinny tires that can dig down through a mud layer to find traction
laugh.gif
Naturals on that truck (16" rims right?).

Now that you have three wheeled drive any time you want it, it should not get stuck (much) ... Mud is afraid of red dif covers
laugh.gif

I like tool boxes along the sides over the wheel wells. Easy to load the heavy stuff like cables and chains in the rear of the box where they do the most to help keep going
smile.gif

Also like good D rings on both bumpers and plenty of hitch options. I like Hidden Hitch brand receivers because they are tucked in pretty well and don't get hung up on as much
laugh.gif
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
That body style is a future classic. Very clean. Love the short bed and 4WD.

Perfect candidate for a junkyard LS/LQ swap...
wink.gif

If the 4.3 ever gives up, of course it will be replaced by a V8. But which one? Anything could happen. Junkyard LS motors are pretty cheap these days.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Tall skinny tires that can dig down through a mud layer to find traction
laugh.gif
Naturals on that truck (16" rims right?).

Now that you have three wheeled drive any time you want it, it should not get stuck (much) ... Mud is afraid of red dif covers
laugh.gif

I like tool boxes along the sides over the wheel wells. Easy to load the heavy stuff like cables and chains in the rear of the box where they do the most to help keep going
smile.gif

Also like good D rings on both bumpers and plenty of hitch options. I like Hidden Hitch brand receivers because they are tucked in pretty well and don't get hung up on as much
laugh.gif
smile.gif

I already got the tool box. It's a big jobsite box, so not easy to get into from the ground. I was playing around with the idea of building a flatbed, but that is a long way off. I'll wait until at least one more bed mount rots off.

Bumpers? It only has a front bumper. Were rear bumpers optional in '88? It's not on the window sticker. But it has a good rear hitch receiver.

As for tires, I was considering LT235/85R16. Tall and skinny.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
Bumpers? It only has a front bumper. Were rear bumpers optional in '88? It's not on the window sticker. But it has a good rear hitch receiver. .
Lol you're joking right?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Bumpers? It only has a front bumper. Were rear bumpers optional in '88? It's not on the window sticker. But it has a good rear hitch receiver. .
Lol you're joking right?

Yes they were optional until the late 80's. I sold rear aftermarket step bumpers for pickups from 1985-1989 and thought I was a pretty good salesman until all the manufacturers came out with the steering wheel, tires, and rear bumper package. I wasn't such a good salesman after that...lol

Last edited:
Awesome truck!!! If you take car of them(which you obviously do) they last forever. Here is mine which is a few years newer and has 85,000 total miles:

The parking ramp in the OP's first photo is what kept that truck alive, I'm told. Parking on bare earth would've prompted rust.
LOVE the $14,000 sticker total.

REALLY LOVE the blue truck's color. Nice stuff both.

It was almost exactly one year ago that I got this barely running pile of truck out of some guy's backyard. I actually drove it 30 miles home, despite having no TV cable, a broken accessory drive bracket, no exhaust system, and an engine that would idle fine but wouldn't do much else other than smoke.

truckytruck.jpg

The original window sticker was folded up with the owner's manual. It suggests that it has lived its entire life in and around this town. Old registrations show that the first owner was a paper comapny for at least the first ten years of its life. The odometer reads 109K, and I almost believe it, but it doesn't really matter.

GMC_WINDOW_STICKER.jpg

Just replace the seal yourself .

It passed to at least two other owners before I got it, and they negleted it pretty badly.

20180130_145637.jpg

I have worked on it nearly every weekend, and it is finally what I would say is mechanically sound and reliable. The major components were okay, but nearly every sensor, electrical circuit, and fluid needed attention. Everything on the TBI unit, the fuel pump, and the entire steering linkage was bad.
Now that it is reliable, I have finally been able to work on other things, such as throwing a mini-spool in the rear end and painting it red (very important). I also threw on some 1.5" lift blocks when I replaced the scary U-bolts, and leveled the front torsion bars to match. Nothing crazy here.

gmc_minispool2.jpg

It is a truck for the woods. I have several acres of wooded land that need work, and this is the land truck. I need it to be reliable and not get stuck in the mud out there. Next on the list is finishing the exhaust system with a complete tailpipe, a new set of mud tires on a second set of freshly painted steel wheels, and a new tool box for the bed. Believe it or not, I even did an R134a conversion and had the A/C working, but then it all leaked out the front compressor seal. So it will get a new compressor before this summer. Land truck.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
Awesome truck!!! If you take car of them(which you obviously do) they last forever. Here is mine which is a few years newer and has 85,000 total miles:

I don't know if mine will ever look that clean again, but I will at least keep it running well.

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister

truckytruck.jpg

GMC_WINDOW_STICKER.jpg

Just replace the seal yourself .

20180130_145637.jpg

gmc_minispool2.jpg

cool.gif

The compressor seal? Well, that's not the only thing wrong with it. The clutch is sticky and the pulley bearing is rough. If I get that deep into it, I'll probably end up tearing the whole thing apart. Maybe I can save it and do a rebuild on it later, but a new compressor is about $150.

The 88-98 C/K GM pickup model is one of my favorites. Couldn't resist sharing my '98 in this thread. Great little pickup.

That's a survivor for sure! First year of the "new" body style even. We had two, 2wd long bed versions in the family in W/T flavor and later on I had basically that same truck. A 1998 K1500, 4.3L, automatic. No air, roll-up windows, but it had factory cruise!

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Nice trucks all around. GMT400s are great.

Probably worthy of its own thread, but: how good are they? I try to keep an idea on what's out there, for when it comes time to replace my truck (thinking 2WD Suburban), but internet lore seems to go back and forth (weak brakes on 1500's, TBI is low power, Vortec injection is problematic).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back