Do I need to change the oil yearly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have left oil in an engine in a pick-up that got about 2,000 miles a year for up to four years. Was fine. As long as it starts with reasonably high TBN and not much moisture gets added, you're good to go
smile.gif

Of course a UOA would be good... But I'll bet lunch that they will come back saying it can go longer
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: lovcom
What about oxidation of the oil? Its not like its in a bottle all sealed up, air tight...

Isn't oxidation the reason car makers say to change the oil after X miles or Y months?

For an engine oil to oxidise, it needs to be hot and in the presence of hot, replenished blow-by gas. When your car's at rest, the oil is cold and there's only a static volume of gas sitting above the oil, so oxidation is to all intents & purposes, zero. Even when your oil's at say 100°C and you're tootling along at say 2500 rpm, the rate of oxidation of any modern engine oil is minimal. However if you start really pushing the engine (say you are track driving) then everything gets way hotter and there's a lot more blow-by traversing the crankcase. In those conditions, the rate of oil oxidation will increase exponentially.

The usual OEM recommendation to change your oil every year isn't so much 'fact based' as it is a matter of convenience (once a year is easy to remember!). Also bear in mind that both the OEMs & oil companies are not disinterested parties when it comes recommending OCIs (one wants you to use the best oil to protect 'their' engine whilst the other wants to sell you as much oil as possible).

I liken OEM OCI recommendations to those dentists that 'recommend' you go for six monthly 'check-ups'. He spends ten minutes looking at your teeth, takes a couple of X-rays, tells you're doing a great job of looking after your teeth and sends you on your merry way but not before parting you from £50! The entire arrangement favours the dentist far more than it does you...

Last edited:
Could a one year oil change regime be intended to limit winter season to one at sub-zero temperates region ?

If you aren't racing it I'd change it every 5000 miles at your minimal driving rate - especially with 8 quarts. Even if it took 10 years. If you haven't gone 5k miles in 10 years, go ahead and change it. I'm assuming the car is garaged. Here's my Suburban UOA after 5 years ......https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4190879/1992_Surburban_Big_Block_-_M1_#Post4190879

You have a nice sports car and you're thinking about this all wrong. Oil changes are cheap (especially in the USA.) Just drive it more often and feel less guilty about doing an annual oil change. You bought the car, and it's no good to you gathering dust in the garage. Get it out on the road with your Wife riding shotgun.

Enjoy it, don't store it!!

Regards
Jordan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back